No Members online

» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Is there any built-in windows way to password protect folders? (i'm on sp1, windows xp) I know you can make folders a .zip and password them that way...but that takes too long. I know there are a couple programs...but i'd prefer a built in way.

thanks in advance!

ive only seen them for zip files... id sure like a way to pass my document folder
    Creator of the GFXvoid Header......................................Retired GFXvoid Staff.
    Currently: Never Here

I dunno if there's a way without downloading a program, but I've seen a program that does it and I'm not sure about the name. I bet download.com has one you can try.

by default you cannot password folders. What you can do though is change permissions on folders so only certain people can view them. Thus if you have a password on your account and you have changed the permissions to only allow yourself access, then you will be fine.

To do this you have to right mouse click on the folder, choose properties and then choose the security tab. In here you remove everyone who you dont want to have access to the folder. Not sure what the "SYSTEM" one is, or its impact if you remove it, you may wish to play around with the options on a test folder first.

Password protection of files has always been available in Windows 2000 or Windows XP, if the hard drive is formatted as NTFS rather than as FAT.

but i dought your hardrive is so i beleive the easiest was is to compress the files with a password, only takes a good 10 seconds...

Why should I tell you, for all I know you could be some pedifile..

i no with windows xp you can put a password on a folder or even encrpyted it, but when you goto zip the folder using windows zipping program it asks you if you would like a password on that folder.

Only on zip folders i believe. But what Metal said is completley true.

Hmm... I havn't looked at encryption, so maybe there is a way under encryption. However you need a disaster recovery agent set up with a correct certificate, and then you have to go into properties, choose encrypt. I'm on my work one and there is no valid certificate or agent so I can't test it.

For those who say it is possible, please provide information on how you set it up instead of just claiming that its possible.