> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Morality

I've been seeing a trend in both the showcase and battle arena's. The more disturbing of which, is without a doubt the battle forum.

People are stealing artwork, slapping on a coat of Overlay effect, a couple lines of text, and calling it their own. It seems to happen alot in the theme battles, people take someone elses painting or vector art and color splash it and submit. This is absolutely deplorable. What giant brass balls these people must have to do basically none of the work and take all of the credit.

It's not like they're using another persons work as a reference, or for ideas. no, it's an exact duplicate with a few minor changes to make it looks more "stylish"

This kind of behaviour needs to stop. It's dishonest, it's illegal, and it's disgusting. It has turned the Battle Arena from a competition of skill and talent, into a game of who has the better google image search skills.

What solution can there be? Well, other than just not using other peoples work (I can't really see that happening)... You could start by giving links to the artwork which you've "borrowed".

Anyone else feel this way?
    Resident father figure.

Im kinda with you, on one of the recent battle entries, i think the guy/gal ripped most of it, but im not sure at all, its just some kinda feeling. I've had these feelings about ripping before and some of them proved to be right after a fev minutes of googlying

A Solution could be simply making them feel guilty, Something in the battle topic, or just something.

If someone could tell me, that would be great.

I know i am guilty of this but how many people actually use there own material in creating there peice. More often then not the render is someone else's work. And for the themed battles you can't really help no using someone elses because sometimes the theme calls for it. Now I am trying to move away from this myself just because i actually want to get a job based on my work. I really don't think it is that big of a deal in the showcase since most of the people here in the forums are hobbyists. In the battlegrounds they should be able to rip another picture slash render that is not already been edited for another piece on another forum. Anyways thats all I have to say on the matter.

Its a gray area, its hard to say for sure what's exactly right and wrong. If people provide vectors to use, I don't see a big deal about it (ie: gamerenders) - assuming you follow their terms of use policy. If people make renders for the sake of it with no intention to allow other uses to use them I feel that's where the problem arises.

Ideally users should focus more on their own work other than altering renders... Its hard to say though.

I may not have been clear. I'm not talking about the the battles that require you to use a certain render or whatever. I'm talking about themed battles like "ferrari" and someone takes a ferrari picture off google and puts their name on it, changes the color of the car...and then goes on to win the competition because the photographer of the original peice was good.

It happens alot.

CrazyGamer,

http://forums.gfxvoid.com/index.php?showto...indpost&p=39103
    The peice I submitted there used the required render. But the photograph of the trains and the flowers were both my own photographs. I even painted in the tear in photohsop. That battle's not the best example, since everyone did a good job of adding their own flare in that one. But as you can see, you don't need to steal work to fit a theme...

My problem isn't with the fact that people use them. it's that people use them almost completely raw. just straight copy paste. But because their source image was so good, they are rewarded for their minimal amount of effort. I think that's wrong. That's why I think you should have to cite your sources, this way when voting people can see what you actually did and didn't do to your peice.

I hope this is all making sense, i've been awake for a very long time...yet again...and everything is very blurry.
    Resident father figure.

If someone could tell me, that would be great.

I think that is a problem if an experienced user of ps does it though. If a newb does it it should be excusable. Simply because they really don't know any other way. I know I had that problem but I am now stopping that completely and am doing everything myself from scratch. I think once everyone gets to a certain level that is what they should do. Unless of course they are in a themed battle that requires it. But this is just my opinion.

I agree, a requirement of disclosing source images should be implemented. That way it can ruthlessly expose the dishonest ones. Although it is a bit harsh, and if it were up to me, I would let the persons guilt ride them. No one should feel proud of their work if its not theirs.
    It's MORPHIN' time!
    github
    deviantART
    Last.FM
    carrotderek

Yeah, I'll third it. I'm not one for posting much (just dont get the time to do the work ), but I do like to review and have a gander at what people are up to.

As such I beleive it is important to know if they just did a quick effect on a standard stock with bugger all work or if they actualy added to the artistic process of the work they are presenting as their own.

As such I will third the motion to have links posted showing the stock or render that was used.

i think if its questioned at all... they should send a psd to the admin or a moderator running that comp. if they fail to do so then they are removed from the comp. and maybe more... because ive seen this alot on many a forum... the bigger peices more then sigs tho..
    Creator of the GFXvoid Header......................................Retired GFXvoid Staff.
    Currently: Never Here

Originally posted by NxtDay@1 Hour Ago
    i think if its questioned at all... they should send a psd to the admin or a moderator running that comp. if they fail to do so then they are removed from the comp. and maybe more...* because ive seen this alot on many a forum... the bigger peices more then sigs tho..
    [snapback]93328[/snapback]
    Nah, I don't think it needs to be that harsh.

Like metalskin said though, I think you should provide links to any stock art you used.
    Resident father figure.