95 47.98%
  • Undecided

31 15.66%
  • Dont Believe

72 36.36%
Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: God

this is a personall topic which i dont want to talk bout

I agree with crofty, I also dont believe in god. btw, the bible wasnt written by god, it was written by people and it wasn't written 2000 yrs ago. Like crofty said, god is only imaginary, there are those who believe it to be true. also I think (not to offend anyone) alot of christians/catholics are hypocrits. I mean, if you believe in what the bible says, why do they judge people? I believe that in the bible it says 'only god can judge'? correct me if I'm wrong here.
    But again, that's my opinion.

imho,

god is not real...he's a big crutch that was embraced by civilization to help them deal with the problems in their lives... its easier to say: "well, its gods will that 150thousand+ people just died for no aparent reason" than it is to just say, hey its their own fault for living in an area at risk of such things. Its also their fault for not LEAVING the coastline when the obvious signs of something bad about to happen.

he's a subconcious support crutch for the masses that are not able to cope with reality on their own.

once again, this is in my humble opinion only. AND i would like to note, that i have read the bible, more than once, and I have attended church before, and i have never witnessed anything to warrent the existance of anything close to an "almighty power".

Thats my opinion on the topic... so let the flames begin >.<

That&#39;s also what i beleive, that &#39;god&#39; was made because beack in the old days people didn&#39;t know what was going on , what a shoting star was , what caused a flood. If they would have dfo you think &#39;god&#39; would be here now? No , because that was their fallout plan incase something really bad happened, someone to relay your thoughts to and convince yourself you&#39;re safe.

*Just my thoughts... *

This is one of my absolute favorite topics of discussion, wether in person, or online, or whatever. I&#39;ll prefece a little here.

When I was ten I read the bible, and about halfway through I began to get the sneaking suspicion that most of these stories sounded a lot like the "American Indian FABLES" and "Greek MYTHS" I had been reading in school. Johna Lived in a whale, Moses packed 2 of EVERY animal on a boat... So I realized that these were just fables created to teach people right from wrong. And if you read the bible and follow it&#39;s teachings according to YOUR understanding of them, more power to you. There&#39;s some great lessons in there. But keep in mind that these stories were passed around by word of mouth for hundreds of years before they were collected into "The Bible". Look how distorted a rumor in your own school/workplace can get in ONE day, now imagine 300 years of that. And even then the book was written and maintained by a very elitist and secretive group of monks and religious leaders. Whom, during the dark ages, manipulated and controlled the peasant popullation through knowledge, which we all know is power. There is a reason why the Vatican&#39;s library has gold plated walls, and yet jesus was a poor carpenter. Organized religion, especially in the middle ages but even still today, is a way of controlling people that is all. Don&#39;t think because they brandish crucifixes and can quote scripture that they are any more holy than you or I.

Over the years I studied every religion I could get literature about. Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Juedaism, Christianity, Islam, etc., etc. And after you&#39;ve studied enough religions you start to notice common threads in each. I noticed that in the western religions "god" was a being far above mankind, so much so that mankind could NEVER ever understand or witness gods majesty. These also happened to be the religions which celebrated in wealth and were and still are plagued with greed. Whereas in a lot of the eastern religions which sort of object to personal belongings they say that god is in you, that you can reach god and understand god. So I sort of settled on an amalgum which I put together myself through cut outs of existing religions, great philosophies, my own experiences, and I guess some divine insparation. I settled on the belief that I am in fact god. And it&#39;s very simple to prove, at least to me. When you/I close my eyes...does the person I&#39;m standing in front of still have a face. Your first response is "yes of course." because that&#39;s how you&#39;ve been trained your entire life. But really, look at a person and then close your eyes. Tell me, do they have one eye open and one eye closed, are they smiling? you don&#39;t know, because they don&#39;t have a face anymore. If you touch them, they exist, but if you take your hand away do they have mass? no, not until you experience it. This is sort of in parrelel with theory that by observing an atom you change it&#39;s reaction. Your witnessing it, changes it. But without witnessing it how do you know what it&#39;s doing? you don&#39;t because it&#39;s not doing anything, it doesn&#39;t exist yet. So, if you didn&#39;t exist, would the world exist? I don&#39;t think so. But hey....that&#39;s just my opinion on it all. I&#39;m sure someone will disagree, but maybe I helped open someones eyes to the possibilty of different individual thoughts and ideas.

I&#39;d like to just make one last comment, I know anyone that actually read all this must be exhausted by now...

"God" is a security blanket to a lot of people, it makes life easier to believe that a being better, smarter, faster, stronger than you are has deemed this path in your life to be the correct path for you. A family members dies, it was gods will, god does know much better than we what needs to be done. You got the new job, it&#39;s gods gift, god is showing me that this is my true calling in life. I&#39;m not saying it&#39;s right, and I&#39;m not saying it&#39;s wrong. But it&#39;s pointless to try and "prove" to someone that their religious views are wrong. Try taking a security blanket away from a 2 year old...same difference, except they&#39;ve had this one all their lives.

But hey, what do I know I&#39;m just some faceless text on a website.
    Resident father figure.

God is a personal experience.

i dont believe god made the world etc, I think ppl just like to believe he&#39;s real for reasurrance and support and hope that when they die something good will come of them, kind of like a comfort. I think gods the invisible friend that lives in the back of our minds who we talk to and ask for advice when we&#39;re feeling low

Originally posted by unit_number_43@Feb 3 2005, 03:36 AM
    This is one of my absolute favorite topics of discussion, wether in person, or online, or whatever. I&#39;ll prefece a little here.

When I was ten I read the bible, and about halfway through I began to get the sneaking suspicion that most of these stories sounded a lot like the "American Indian FABLES" and "Greek MYTHS" I had been reading in school. Johna Lived in a whale, Moses packed 2 of EVERY animal on a boat... So I realized that these were just fables created to teach people right from wrong. And if you read the bible and follow it&#39;s teachings according to YOUR understanding of them, more power to you. There&#39;s some great lessons in there. But keep in mind that these stories were passed around by word of mouth for hundreds of years before they were collected into "The Bible".* Look how distorted a rumor in your own school/workplace can get in ONE day, now imagine 300 years of that. And even then the book was written and maintained by a very elitist and secretive group of monks and religious leaders. Whom, during the dark ages, manipulated and controlled the peasant popullation through knowledge, which we all know is power. There is a reason why the Vatican&#39;s library has gold plated walls, and yet jesus was a poor carpenter. Organized religion, especially in the middle ages but even still today, is a way of controlling people that is all. Don&#39;t think because they brandish crucifixes and can quote scripture that they are any more holy than you or I.

Over the years I studied every religion I could get literature about. Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Juedaism, Christianity, Islam, etc., etc. And after you&#39;ve studied enough religions you start to notice common threads in each. I noticed that in the western religions "god" was a being far above mankind, so much so that mankind could NEVER ever understand or witness gods majesty. These also happened to be the religions which celebrated in wealth and were and still are plagued with greed. Whereas in a lot of the eastern religions which sort of object to personal belongings they say that god is in you, that you can reach god and understand god. So I sort of settled on an amalgum which I put together myself through cut outs of existing religions, great philosophies, my own experiences, and I guess some divine insparation. I settled on the belief that I am in fact god. And it&#39;s very simple to prove, at least to me. When you/I close my eyes...does the person I&#39;m standing in front of still have a face. Your first response is "yes of course." because that&#39;s how you&#39;ve been trained your entire life. But really, look at a person and then close your eyes. Tell me, do they have one eye open and one eye closed, are they smiling? you don&#39;t know, because they don&#39;t have a face anymore. If you touch them, they exist, but if you take your hand away do they have mass? no, not until you experience it. This is sort of in parrelel with theory that by observing an atom you change it&#39;s reaction. Your witnessing it, changes it. But without witnessing it how do you know what it&#39;s doing? you don&#39;t because it&#39;s not doing anything, it doesn&#39;t exist yet. So, if you didn&#39;t exist, would the world exist? I don&#39;t think so. But hey....that&#39;s just my opinion on it all. I&#39;m sure someone will disagree, but maybe I helped open someones eyes to the possibilty of different individual thoughts and ideas.

I&#39;d like to just make one last comment, I know anyone that actually read all this must be exhausted by now...

"God" is a security blanket to a lot of people, it makes life easier to believe that a being better, smarter, faster, stronger than you are has deemed this path in your life to be the correct path for you. A family members dies, it was gods will, god does know much better than we what needs to be done. You got the new job, it&#39;s gods gift, god is showing me that this is my true calling in life. I&#39;m not saying it&#39;s right, and I&#39;m not saying it&#39;s wrong. But it&#39;s pointless to try and "prove" to someone that their religious views are wrong. Try taking a security blanket away from a 2 year old...same difference, except they&#39;ve had this one all their lives.

But hey, what do I know I&#39;m just some faceless text on a website.
    [snapback]3611[/snapback]
    Well the first thing I have to say is in reply to your post...Unit. Moses gathered 2 of every animal on a boat? You mean all this time I was lied to about it being Noah? After reading that, everything else you wrote was pointless in me reading if you think Moses and the Ark are one.

Now for the topic in hand. My opinion, God is exactly what humanity has always wanted. Someone to place the blame on. That&#39;s all he&#39;s their for. It&#39;s a bonfire story from thousands of years ago. Maybe I&#39;m wrong and he exists, I don&#39;t know. I do know I argue religion all the time and have been told by more than one person that only very few people will go to heaven. Maybe 200k people at the most. So why the hell does everybody try to be good and pray for heaven if the bible says only a few will go? I myself haven&#39;t read it, if I have, I don&#39;t remember it. I see one thing and one thing only. I am mortal, my time here is limited. I&#39;ll be damned if I&#39;m gonna live it any other way then the way I want to. I haven&#39;t believed in god for as long as I can remember, which is only about 10 years or so. I wake up every day breathing, the same things happen to me that happen to everybody else, whether they are godfearing or not. He doesn&#39;t exist, it&#39;s all your imagination. Kind of like how you can make yourself sick if you believe you are. I do think, to an extent, that everything happens for a reason, but it isn&#39;t god playing with our strings. I don&#39;t know how many, if any, of you read, any of you that do and that have read The Wheel of Time series will understand what I&#39;m about to say. I think in reality, it&#39;s a bit similar to how it is in the book. We are all a thread in a large plan. A set path, yet we can make a decision that can change the path. I also believe that this world was once inhabited by human beings far superior in intelligence than we are, and we went through a backwards evolution, then started evolving again. i also believe that this will repeat itself again, not in our lifetime, but sometime. These are my beliefs, and before any of you ask:
    No, I do not do drugs, nor have I ever done drugs in my life&#33;

my fellings are htat he is real because just think of all the people that have had cancer or some disease and it just disapeard or when that Elizebeth smart was kidinapped and then magisticly some one rememberred her and call the FBI. None of that was a big coininesdence.

Originally posted by Koromose@Feb 16 2005, 12:34 AM
    Well the first thing I have to say is in reply to your post...Unit.* Moses gathered 2 of every animal on a boat?* You mean all this time I was lied to about it being Noah?* After reading that, everything else you wrote was pointless in me reading if you think Moses and the Ark are one.
    [snapback]6705[/snapback]
    Yeah, I guess when someone slips up and accidentally uses the wrong name for something all their other points are null. It&#39;s not like anyone makes mistakes in this day and age.
    Resident father figure.