> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ANY iPOD can play VIDEO!

By downloading PODZILLA you can install LINUX on your iPOD.
    This will allow you to PLAY VIDEO on your ipod. And other video games (iDOOM) that are configured for the LINUX and iPOD’s Pipe line.
    I just found out about this yesterday!
    But I am sure its old news...but it might just make some one else's day.
    I am so happy that I dont need to upgrade.
    (Use mencoder to encode)

LINK:
    http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

“Currently this project supports 1G, 2G, and 3G iPods. Photo, 4G, U2, and Mini iPods are still not supported officially.”
    ------------http://ipodlinuxinstl.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
    Not “officially” supported BUT: IT WILL WORK, at your OWN RISK
    I just installed it on 4G PHOTO,...now it’s a video ipodsweeeeeeeet.

“VERY IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ!
    THIS SOFTWARE IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY THE AUTHOR. PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL TO THE AUTHOR, OR DO NOT POST ON THE IPODLINUX FORUMS OR EMAIL AN IPODLINUX DEVELOPER ASKING FOR HELP. THE DEVELOPERS WILL NOT HELP OR DELETE YOUR POST, SINCE RUNNING IPODLINUX ON 4G IPODS, IPOD COLORS AND IPOD MINIS IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THEM AT THIS TIME. IF THE INSTALLER WORKS, THEN GOOD. IF NOT, YOU'RE OUT OF LUCK.”
    ----installer, READ ME.

tell me how to do this on my creative and i&#39;d think you weren&#39;t an advertisement whore for apple ... <_<
    deaz\dxloa\dxedr

Originally posted by deadloader@13 Minutes Ago
    tell me how to do this on my creative and i&#39;d think you weren&#39;t an advertisement whore for apple ...* <_<
    [snapback]133850[/snapback]
    lol...advert whore...lol....

there is a forum at that web link and....
    from what I have read you would need to re-write it 0.o

not my area&#33;

my advice is dont buy an ipod >.<

every day i get 3 or 4 people asking me to fix their ipod or have it sent away.
    / / X E K A Y E M \ \
    http://zekayem.deviantart.com/

i just got a new mp3 player .. it&#39;s a creative zen sleek .. people are telling me i&#39;m cheap because this doesn&#39;t have a colour screen? .. for one it&#39;s actually more expensive than an iPod for the second part it won&#39;t break as easily .. and not to mention what would be the point in having video i can get a much better quality video output from buying a portable dvd player and it has a bigger screen but even still sitting on the bus or walking around watching movies isn&#39;t really practical .. and picture iPods? don&#39;t get me started you store photos? why? to show off? don&#39;t be cheap and get them printed you digitalised mother fuckers
    deaz\dxloa\dxedr

I really hate all the anti-ipod sentiment. There&#39;s always people more than happy to bash something just because it&#39;s popular.

First off, The Creative Zen Sleek is cheaper than the iPod photo (the SECOND most recent model). But only cheaper by about &#036;20. So either you got suckered or you didn&#39;t even check.

Second, The iPod photo&#39;s color screen is fantastic. It allows for full color games, and album art for your mp3&#39;s. The ipod can also be plugged into your TV where you can present a slideshow of images easily and quickly from a machine that easily slips into your breast pocket. Great for any business person that needs to make presentations.

Third, the iPod has a much easier to use navigation and on-the-fly playlist creation than it&#39;s Creative counterparts.

The bottom line is that Creative does not make a better 20gb+ hard drive mp3 player than apple. And still, this isn&#39;t the point of this topic. Bashing every post about an ipod is destructive and stupid. If you don&#39;t own one, then what are you basing your opinion on?

-------------

I&#39;d love to try running linux on my ipod, however the photo&#39;s support is not as stable as I would like it to be. I&#39;m not willing to risk damaging my ipod in exchange for video support. If anyone does get it running on a 30gb ipod photo, let me know.
    Resident father figure.

Somewhere much better than where you are.

I completely agrre with you Unit number 43 (and my dad works for microsoft lol) I recently bought an Ipod Nano and all of my friends are like "ooh its gonna snap" or "oh the screen is gonna break". Its so annoying&#33; Has the screen got any scratches on it? NO. Has the ipod snapped yet? NO. Has it got an amazing colour screen and 10,000 perfect quality tracks of my favorite music on it? YES&#33;

i wasnt bagging the ipod...

my job is to diagnose problems in electronic devices and computers.

ipods are the most commonly fucked up mp3 players, it usually a software problem or a cracked screen from people dropping them.

then comes the creative zen.... i wouldnt touch one of these with a 10 foot pole. we dont get quite as many back as the ipods, but considering we dont sell as many the purchase to return ratio is very high.

if i was to buy one i would buy an iriver. ive only ever returned one....
    / / X E K A Y E M \ \
    http://zekayem.deviantart.com/

Originally posted by unit_number_43@Yesterday, 1:51 PM

I&#39;d love to try running linux on my ipod, however the photo&#39;s support is not as stable as I would like it to be. I&#39;m not willing to risk damaging my ipod in exchange for video support. If anyone does get it running on a 30gb ipod photo, let me know.
    [snapback]134331[/snapback]
    Yep. I have it on my 30g Photo. And its working fine. Thats what the video is on the top of the page.

Plus you can change the "skin"...mine is black with red text...thats worth the 300&#036; risk. lol

But one cool thing is LINUX represents the battery life numerically. Much better than representing the battery life with pixels (or pixelically©) mmmmmm pixelically©.

Originally posted by Goldman@27 Minutes Ago
    Yep. I have it on my 30g Photo. And its working fine. Thats what the video is on the top of the page.

Plus you can change the "skin"...mine is black with red text...thats worth the 300&#036; risk. lol

But one cool thing is LINUX represents the battery life numerically. Much better than representing the battery life with pixels (or pixelically©) mmmmmm pixelically©.
    [snapback]135000[/snapback]
    What codecs does it play?

ZeKayeM,

I was talking about deadloaders post really. Where he implied that the creative zen sleek was a better player than the ipod. Without a doubt the iRiver is the best bang for you buck, but that wasn&#39;t the purpose of my post.
    Resident father figure.