» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So it's late during an November day... I decide to go downstairs and check my mail. Bill, Bill, Magazine, Junk, Bill, Ju..n.....k..... wait no it's not. It's was a coupon for a TiVo. $100 off the purchase. I look into it more... call all the numbers find out all the requirements (none). YES!!! I go to Best Buy and check out the price of a new TiVo.... $200. YES!!! 50% off a TiVo... sounds sweet!
    I never thought a TiVo would be so great with the exception of during football season (I'm an avid watcher). Why would I need to record ever day TV shows?
    Well... for $115 and only $12 a month, I guess I could give it a shot. Run to Best Buy and buy the 40 hour TiVo and a network to hook it up to. Get home and get it working... O damn... it's so cool.

Yes TiVo is the greatest thing to come around sense someone made DVD's. It's bad ass... I have it set to record CSI every night, my girlfriend has it set to record Law and Order: SVU every night, and I record football games I want to see when I'm not around. I can also listen to music on my computer on my surround sound from my reciever. I can record shows directly to my VCR at any time. I get movie trailers from select movies, I get free brochures (when I select it) from some commercials, It tells me shows that I could possibly like by what I watch the most. It is just GREAT! If you haven't got one... it is the way to go!

I have heard many things about TiVo, some of them were good, while some of them were bad. My parents were thinking about buying one a few months ago, but for some reason my parents decided to change their minds. My dad said that he would much rather go with "On Demand" from Comcast Cable, because he trusts them more I think.

I have not used it before, but I have heard some good things about it. Do you think it's worth getting, because I usually don't watch to many T.V shows.

As demo was saying, we recently got comcas digital cable (lol they disabled the movie channels, so we were kinda forced into it)

But it has on demand, were it saves to a server-hosted hardrive. Best thing that hit the TV. I'd try the TiVo but I really don't like the 12 a month fee for somerthing that should be free.

I know microsoft is releasing something similar, I saw a short demo of it. I may wait and see

If Microsoft releases something, it's probably going to be amazing.

TiVo really is worth it... even the $12 a month...

The ONLY thing bad about it that I've found in my over a month exp with it is that you can only record 1 show at a time... so like tonight, I was recording CSI, and watching the Sugar Bowl... when I would have liked to record them both... it's great though... I'd suggest it to anyone!

I was looking into it awhile back, and I know they offer a one time fee when you purchase the system to avoid the annoying monthly fees - but the system was 500$.

It would be worth it more if that price dropped a bit. I know if you have the correct cables and software in your computer you can connect your television to your comp for a pimped out tivo-type thing.

Requires a lot of work though unfortunatly, considering most computers are not compatable with televisions.

well the $500 one is an 80 hour Tivo (mine's 40, and I've yet to fill it up... even being on vacation for 2 weeks with many programs scheduled to record) and the 500$ one has a dvd recorder in it too... not worth it in my eyes... I'll stick with the my 200$ TiVo and 12-13$ a month bill... instead of a massive one time payment.

I prefer Dish Networks PVR module. It does the samething as a Tivo but it's built in to the reciever so you don't have extra units laying all over your TV. Lol. The receiver cost about $400 when it first came out (two years ago) but I am not aware of the current price.

Originally posted by tacoX@Jan 7 2005, 07:41 AM
    I was looking into it awhile back, and I know they offer a one time fee when you purchase the system to avoid the annoying monthly fees - but the system was 500$.
    It would be worth it more if that price dropped a bit. I know if you have the correct cables and software in your computer you can connect your television to your comp for a pimped out tivo-type thing.
    Requires a lot of work though unfortunatly, considering most computers are not compatable with televisions.
    [snapback]863[/snapback]
    Lol, that's what my computer allows me to do. I got a media center pc, it records tv, radio, and bunch of media stuff it rules!!!

What is TiVo ? Just a recorder? Why not just get a video player.. and stick a blank video or dvd in it?