» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Hey all,

I've been flat chat with a new job and external work, don't even get to play in a clan anymore! Well I've been forced to upload my site design because of some work, so I thought I would post it here to show you what I have been up to in my spare time:

Metal Skin . com

Unfortunatly the server is quite slow, think I will have to change providers, although those who are over in the US or EU may find it okay.

I'm also in the process of doing an entire POS system which will include quite a lot of Touch Screen interfaces. I'll post screen shots when it's approaching ready.\

/MetalSkin

omg it's metalskin. glad to see you back here.

As for the design of the site, it's not too bad. It looks like you're gonna put a lot of content into it. I don't like the background you have for the content boxes in the main page. I think it would be better if they were a simple gradient like the one where is says "News". I think the shine could be done a bit better. Maybe ot so blurred out. Maybe you should also add a simple border around the whole thing. I like the design overall. Looks easy to navigate in. Just my thoughts.

Im in UK and jesus christ its slow :lol:

Hmmm dont realy like this, its hardly a website where does content etc. go?

it took me 5 seconds to load each of the rollover buttons :P
    i like the theme, but the boxes are a little small, and you'd be typing in pixel fonts the whole time if you wanted to fit anything in there.

Hmm not so slow for me.

The code is using xhtml and css v2 so the menu boxes are actualy text in the xhtml, while the positioning is done via css. as such you only ever get one download for the background and rollover for the two types of menu buttons.

If you go to a new area then it has to download the css for the new menu, but no new graphics to download.

The content goes in the middle, if you wish to see an example go to:

http://www.metalskin.com/servicesTest.html

Ignore the yellow, it's there to determine some issues with Ie, Firefox and Opera.

I'm going to reduce all the css down to one css, which will increase the speed, as well as change the images into mutli-image in one file, so once you have downloaded the initial menu image, all the others are downloaded (a nice feature you can do with offsets with css).

I'm not 100% happy with the shine. I've noticed on some monitors it looks brillant, but on others it looks bad, very dependant on the brightness and contrast settings for peoples monitor's.

Thanks for the comments guys, as I have said, please ignore the download speed, but once you have downloaded the various images, it should be pretty fast for moving around.

Btw, no javascript, only xhtml and css v2.

Every thing is fine and dandy, except for the background color! White makes it stand out too much. Give it black, or dark blue, or pale cobalt blue, or something.

Haha pale cobalt blue. No one is specific anymore.

Looks good MS. When I saw the yellow background, I was like AH my retinas are burning! Then I read what you wrote and was like Oh okay. Haha.

Not a bad design, but looks kinda empty right now. I can't really say wether I like it or not right now, because I need to see it filled with content.

Well content will be online eventually, most prob will put some stuff up this week. I actualy did this a while back (read approx. 6 months ago), but I'm tendering for some work and had to have something more than a blank page on the web site.

When I put some content on and tweak the gfx I'll do a new post.

Btw, I was waiting for my hosting provider to install apache tomcat so I can do it in jsp and servlets, was even hoping to use portlets - at the least jsf, but the hosting provider is taking too long

Give the baclground a color! Arrrgh