Before you start you may need some brushes similar to the ones i used:

Here is the most popular brushes:
    Leet brushes

Here are some great brushes:
    Chaotic

And here are the ones i used:
    Doom brushes 1
    Doom Brushes 2

I haven't done a signature tutorial yet and someone asked how i did my BG's so its here for them too ^_^

In the following tutorial you will find out how to:
    ---Blend a render
    ---Create a nice BG
    ---Create a few text effects

The end result will be similar to this depending ont he brushes you use and your brushing techniques:

Starting off:

1> Create a new document any size that you use for a signature, here i used 350x120 pixels.

2>Fill the whole canvas with black

3>Grab your favorite brushes (Abstract works well here), i used Doom's Abstract brushes which can be found on deviant art, i will put a link here soon.

Create a new layer and do some nice white brushing that fills the whole layer untill it looks uber sexy ^_^

I got this:

4>Duplicate that brushing layer and set it to Soft Light

5> Get a render you would like to use, it needs to have colour, i used Master chief.

Go to file>open and open your render, resize it/get rid of the BG whatever untill you are happy with it, then drag it into the signature windows like so:

6> Grab the colour picker tool and pick a colour that is on your render, i used the green of Master Chief first, create a new layer and make sure its UNDER the render layer.

Do some brushing with the colour you chose, make sure it pretty much fills the signature, yes it looks crappy at this stage but you will see.

7>Set the brushing layer to Overlay, it will probably be very faint, duplicate this layer a few times untill you are happy with it.

I got this:

I also picked the colour in his visor and went around the render for an added effect, after that it looked like so:

8> To blend the render i used some motion and gaussian blurs but feel free to use your own methods. Here are the methods i used:

Duplicate the render (CTRL + J) Then go to filters>Gaussian blur and set the amount to 4, put the blurred layer BEHIND the render layer, then duplicate until it looks OK.

Duplicate the blurred layer again, then go to filter>blur again but the time choose Motion Blur And set the angle to 0 and the strength to around 130 depending on your render, put this behind the gaussian blured layers, i duplicated this 3times, two versions were overlay one was normal, just 'play' around with those untill its satisfactory.

I also did one motion blur at 45degrees, this is what i got:

9> Go to Image>Adjustments>Brightness + Contrast and increase both the sliders untill your signature has some depth... make sure this B+C layer is above all the rest.

Note: I took the render out here because IMO renders just spoil signatures but im sure a lot of you will keep it in

10>Type in what you want with a font you find suitable, right click the font layer and give it a 1pixel black stroke then set the layer to overlay or soft light depending on your BG.

If you are rotating the font its CTRL+T

Here is what i got without any cool text:

And with the render:

Hope some of you have learnt something here and if you want, show your results if you have used it

Any problems or troubles just post or PM (Note: PM is currently down)
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

-------------------------------------------B-e-n------------------------------------------------

And can i just say, always remember there are many more things to photoshop than signatures, don't limit yourself go further [/oldmanlecture]

Omfg great, just what I needed [d'oh :P]

Sweet. Where'd you get your brushes from again?

Here is the most popular brushes:
    Leet brushes

Here are some great brushes:
    Chaotic

And here are the ones i used:
    Doom brushes 1
    Doom Brushes 2

Thanks Ben! The Doom sets are sweet!

Thanks man, real nice tut!!

Nice tut man, hey im a real noob to this stuff (dont get annnoyed by noobs, we were all ones at some point) and i want to know what u guys think about my new sig!!

Hey, welcome, your sig doesnt look bad, try some mlticoloring. Its a common mistake for new people but this is the wrong place to pot your isg Its cool though, newcomer mistake. Post next time in Signatures and Avatars. Enjoy your stay.
    This is me.

im having truble downloading the brushes, does it work on macs????

Not sure, i think they should but im not too sure.

Make sure they are in:

C:\program files\adobe\photoshopCS2\presets&#0 92;brushes

Then restart photoshop.