» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you think that there is any chance that there could be another civil war in the future? Are there any topics of debate that divide the nation?

I don't live in the US, but I believe there is always chance for war, even within a single country. Not necessarily political parties, but something like a widespread gang war. Or possibly Texas envoking it's right to succeed the American constitution. That could cause a war.

Definatley. There's always a chance. It happens alot in other countries, it will happen to any country. People will never be satisfied with goervment, beacuse it is always corrupt.

Haha exactly.
    In Democracy, people are never satisfied because its rule by mediocre. (Although it worked best in Athens)
    In an Autocracy, people are never satisfied because one guy is ruling.
    In a Communist state, people are never satisfied because it doesn't work and ends up with an Autocracy or an Oligarchy hahaha.

There is a chance in the US. But very little, even an incompetent President does little to increase it, nor does an unpopular war. It would take something real big to spark a Civil War, one that would involve the government infringing set rights and privileges of its citizens.
    It's MORPHIN' time!
    github
    deviantART
    Last.FM
    carrotderek

lol.... no. Maybe in the far far far far far far far future but not anytime soon. The US was a totally different place in the time of the first Civil War.
    This is me.

If someone could tell me, that would be great.

That it was. There isn't a chance in hell of it happening ne time soon. Although you never know...

Originally posted by Shurai@3 Days Ago
    .....In Democracy, people are never satisfied because its rule by mediocre. (Although it worked best in Athens).....
    [snapback]160501[/snapback]
    Not EVERYONE was satisfied in Athens either :P

Women didn't have a role in the government, neither did helots (state slaves).

Only citizens could vote, and you could only be a citizen if your father and grandfathers were citizens (only 1 out of 5 people were citizens)

(We're learning about ancient Greece in history class now , if you couldn't tell :P )

You do have a point though. It worked better because there weren't millions of people in Athens.

-----

Back on subjec :lol: t:

I suppose there could be another civil war....... :mellow:

seems unlikely though. I think we have learned our lesson after the last one...

Well I didn't say everyone was satisfied in Athens, I said it worked best in its structure...There were alot of checks and balances which kept things in order. Most extraordinary was Ostracism, when someone appears to be gaining too much power, the people can write their name down on Ostraca, if the person gets the most votes, the person is ostracize(exiled) for 10 years. After 10 years, they can return and live like they never left. Belongings would be untouched.

At least by Solon, citizenship rested on the fact that your mother and father were citizens. No 'half-breeds' :P

Helots were typically Messenian and Laconian exclusive to Sparta, which was not democratic.

Its cool that you're learning this stuff at your age xD I wish I did!

Back on topic. Yea the govt has to screw up big time or make millions of people unhappy to spark a civil war.
    It's MORPHIN' time!
    github
    deviantART
    Last.FM
    carrotderek

It is not the people that should be afraid of their governments.

The Governments should be afraid of the people.

V?

Polybius said the "3 forms of government" degenerate into their perverted states and its an endless cycle:

Kingship ->Tyranny -> Aristocracy -> Oligarchy -> Democracy -> Mob Rule ->Kingship and so on...

Thats why he said, that a blend of all three is the absolute best government there is. That is present in the United States government, but it was also in the Roman Republic's government but we all know what happened to that huh? :P Nevertheless US' government has alot of checks and balances to keep things stable, it will take a very "strong man" or a great injustice to the people to start a civil war.
    It's MORPHIN' time!
    github
    deviantART
    Last.FM
    carrotderek