» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Thread: Macintosh.

Could someone explain why thewir specs are so low, yet they're meant to operate the best for graphics etc...??

Is it because the hardware (( eg the processor is 1.5ghz)) operates really well for its' technical spec.. or what?

And could someone also explain why someone might use a mac instead of a normal Pc .

Thankeess =)

well In my case I have to use a Mac. my schools makes me. But on the other hand they give it to me. I find that macs for me are easier to use and easier to mantain. I never get virus or trojan horses or any crap like that. to tell you the truth I really like using a mac over a PC. only thing is software can be hard to get.

Does the software run faster also? For programmes and just in general... ?

Macs plain suck...I Hate them, Intel is making a mistake by backing them. But Macs are marginally better for video than windows.
    Latest:

Macs are friggin stable as fock.

But contrary to popular belief, presently the edge that Macs had in the graphics field has been lost. Performance wise, there isn't much of a difference now, and PCs are now heavy competition, in some cases the PCs have completely owned the Mac.

Look here for some comparisons: http://www.barefeats.com/macvpc.html
    It's MORPHIN' time!
    github
    deviantART
    Last.FM
    carrotderek

Who wins in MAC vs PC, PC hands down.

In most situations, a PC will beat a mac. You have to really think about what you want from the computer.

Productivity and intergration(Window based), or rediculous priced machine(Mac based)?

AMD cleans the board on ALL processor manufacturers, overall. I would definatley choose a PC before a MAC.

ANYTHING you do on a Mac, you cna just as easily do on a PC. You can't do everything you do on a pc on a mac

Save everyone a headache, and get a pc. There's NO reason to use a mac.

This has been asked at least twice before.

Originally posted by unit_number_43@August 01 2005, 9:31 PM
    In the 80's and early 90's Mac systems had much better gamma correction on their monitors. Ergo mac became the standard in the art and design industry. Old habits die hard, but the design industry is slowly dividing between the two systems. To do a mac to pc conversion can be difficult, depending on alot of variables. For a single person to switch, it's no big deal.

:edit:
    I forgot to mention another reason why mac's were so popular, especially in the 3d moddeling field. RISC(PPC) vs. CISC(x86). I won't go too deeply into the tech jargon, because it frankly confuses me sometimes. Sufficed to say a PPC chip of the same (and even lower) clockspeed as an x86 chip performed better because it had shorter pipelines. Floating point calculations on a PPC would absolutely demolish the CISC based chips. Not to mention that the RISC's often had much better effeciency ratings.
    :/edit:

Here's a breakdown of the good and bad as I see it.

Mac

+ Reliable (apple built everything in that machine to work with that machine. no driver problems or incompatible hardware. it's gauranteed to just work.)
    + The Desktop (It's freaking beautiful)
    + Speed (like I said, apple built the entire system as a single unit. Everything is finely tuned and compatible.)
    + Easy (once you adapt to the way a mac works it becomes soooo easy to use)

- Software (there's a lot more software out there for windows than their is for macs)
    - Gaming (that goes doubly so for gaming. There are only a handful of game titles available for the mac)
    - Compatibility (sometimes you can run into some serious problems when passing files between a mac and a windows system)
    - Expense (they ain't cheap)

Apple is moving over to an Intle based CPU instead of their PPC's. So if you are going to buy a mac, wait until those new chips are released. They should be out by 2006 on most systems.

Windows

+ Software (just about any kind of software can be bought for windows)
    + Expense (an x86 box is cheap to build and a windows liscence isn't too harsh either)
    + Gaming (you can't beat a solid x86 box for gaming, especially with a 64bit CPU)

- Unstable (you run into a lot of problems, not just with software, but also hardware)
    - Scattered Support (You're dealing with multiple companies making each peice of hardware, getting help and servicing can be a problem sometimes)
    - Attacks (Windows has more holes than Bush's WMD in iraq report)
    - Just plain ugly (fess up, there isn't a pretty looking reasonable priced x86 machine out their, and XP out of the box is pretty ugly in itself)
    ------------------------

I would recommend a Mac if you have the money for one (remember, you're going to have to actually buy the software too, there's not much mac warez out there), and you're not going to be gaming...and you're not going to be doing alot of work with Windows machines.

If you can't meet those requirements then you'd be better off using a Windows machine.
    [snapback]89357[/snapback]
    I imagine you're looking at the G4/5 systems and not the new intel based systems. The intel numbers are comperable to dell or hp system specs.

Note that the CISC vs. RISC debate is a dead issue now that mac's are using x86 chips.
    Resident father figure.

I see. =) Thank joo very much everyone

**researches more**

^_^

Ohhh snap CISC vs. RISC debate. Exciting stuff
    It's MORPHIN' time!
    github
    deviantART
    Last.FM
    carrotderek

The only reason I think people would buy a MAC over a PC is for purely cosmetic reasons, I havent seen yet a simple yet elegant and classy tower for a PC, that and they dont understand the numbers on the spec sheet.
    Latest: