» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm applying to Fire and Rescue Departments to start my career but the twist is I'm only 18. Now this department pays 38,000 a year, I'm dead center in the middle of the county so that saves me my gas money, rents cheap (plus there's always the parents). And its a good place to start. Not fast but not to slow.

My plan is to achieve a 2 year associates in fire administration through the local community college while working for the county. These classes would be done by night and weekends.

However,

Stepping foot into my volunteer fire house these days is impossible without hearing "don't do it, don't do it, don't do it" out of every bodies mouths the entire time I'm there. There points are go to college for 4 years, have fun, party, get yourself in trouble, find some women. Then come back and get a career. I understand they're looking out for me not wanting me to make the mistakes they made when they were my age but its just constant negative comments on my decisions and they're trying to run my life, when in fact, it should be me making the decisions.

I'm entirely confused and just down right exhausted from all this stuff but what do you think

college or career?, listen to them or do what i feel is right?

Well food my friend, this is a hard question. I always tell people to do what they feel right. To me it seems that the logical and constructive thing to do here would be to obviously go to college, but I don't want to sound like all those other people you have to deal with. I think you should think about it more. This one decision might effect you very much later on. Just put all the people aside and think carefully. Ask yourself a few questions. What're your benefits if you pick up on a career right now? What're your benefits if you finish your studies and then pick up on a career? Since it is your life, you know what makes you happy, but you need to think about whether you'll stay happy in the future. If you apply to the Fire and Rescue Department now, do you think you'll be happy about 10 years from now?

I hope I didn't say anything wrong and don't let me affect your decision too much because this is the internet and not everyone is right. I'm just trying to help you out from my point of view. Lets wait and see what the others have to say about this.

College isn't always necessary, and it's certainly not cheap. If you want to be a fireman then be a fireman. And remember, you can always go back to school. As long as you don't have a family, going back to school shouldn't be much of a problem.

I'm having a pretty similar problem, I went straight into design even before highschool ended. Everyone wanted me to go to college, but it just wasn't for me. I've got plenty of time, and I'm in no hurry to have a family now or ever really... Besides the government will give you hefty grants if you go to school after 25.
    Resident father figure.

College for 4 years... are you taking double the amount of A-levels or something? O.o

Anyways - If you stayed with the fire service for 4 years... you'd probably be at the same place as you would be after joining from 4 years of college, but you'd know all the crew etc.

And night courses... + work. Figures out well ^_^ I'd go for it man

dude their college is different from ours, their college is like our uni, so 4 years uni isn't bad i'm doing that :lol: ... and i can't wait, by that time i'll have enough money to buy a house suitable for me and a few friends to live in, whilst in uni... maybe second year so i can build my own studio in there so that'd be sweet ^_^ i could invite people round ben, dale, spikee, tyson you know the gfxvoid england crew!! big up!! :lol: (yeah more.. i have more friends on here :unsure: )
    deaz\dxloa\dxedr

Post-secondary education is not needed to live a good life, I think you should do what you feel is right. There are many benefits of going to college/university and getting the degrees, such as the skills needed in a certain field. But if you don't want to be anything else but work in the Fire Department, then those skills are not needed.

I chose to go into University straight out of high school because the occupation I see myself doing for the rest of my life requires the skills taught by universities. Many of my mates are still undecided about what they want to do with their lives, one of them decided to go to university with a hazy vision of what he wanted to do, and is dropping out now.

Make sure that you are certain that you do not need the necessary skills before you decide. :P
    It's MORPHIN' time!
    github
    deviantART
    Last.FM
    carrotderek

shurai i've planned 10 years in advance what i want to do, all the things i've accounted for can be easily changed and if anything were to happen to the course or my state at the moment it wouldn't be too drastic on my plan so i've left quite a margin for things, but thanks for the advice ^_^
    deaz\dxloa\dxedr

Originally posted by deadloader@3 Hours Ago
    dude their college is different from ours, their college is like our uni
    [snapback]162992[/snapback]
    There's a difference between a college and a university? (In America)

^^My entry for SOTW #52.

What he was saying is that your college is the same as our Uni.

Id say get the job and then if you really want go to college but 28,000 a year at 18?

That nice man.

Originally posted by sublime@15 Minutes Ago
    There's a difference between a college and a university? (In America)
    [snapback]163035[/snapback]
    There is a difference between college and university, but it has to do with the course selections and such. Apparently in the UK the difference between a college and a university is like the difference between an associates degree and a bachelors.
    Resident father figure.