No Members online

» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

New theories are being developed at MIT, that new M-RAM will replace regular ram some day.

Instead of the metal based "magnets" in the ram, there will be PLASTIC based "magnets". This allows M-RAM to not loose it's information when the computer restarts. So in basic terms....

There will practically be no more booting! W00t.

Also, since computers are mostly based on magnets, the rest of the computer will recieve a major update aswell.

(this is way in the future though, like 10-15 years or more)

thats so awesome. i hate boot time, i just sit around and twiddle my fingers

too bad its not in the near future

Yeap.

Also, theres some recent research and experiments with Halographic hard drives. There supposed to come into late 2006.

They store data in a 3-demisional drive, which allows for (therolitically) infinite amount of data storage. They have succesfully made 500gb-3.6 TB Holographic drives. =)

These drives are alot cheaper to manufacter, and are smaller and lightweight. ^_^

They are also portable, so it can be put into any pc easily, or some new devices like DVD players, but holographic disc player. =)

Many people think it will demolish the new "blu-ray" disc technology.

Somewhere much better than where you are.

Sounds very cool, you dont go on digg.com by any chance?

Very interesting indeed. XD MRAM has been indevelopment for quite a long time, WTF plastic? , MRAM is basically made up of the same materials of metals.

I hear its like 6-8 times faster than dynamic RAM today and uses like 90% less power, so its a major breakthrough in CompSci today muah.

The new Holographic memory is focking awesome, it will surely beat the Blu-Ray. :P
    It's MORPHIN' time!
    github
    deviantART
    Last.FM
    carrotderek

You can't make magnets out of plastic...duh.

^^My entry for SOTW #52.

Plastic magnets exist, it uses spinning of electrons or something. I heard it is only magnetic at low temperatures though, so I don't understand how it could be used inside a computer where temperatures can rise quite a bit.
    It's MORPHIN' time!
    github
    deviantART
    Last.FM
    carrotderek

Well I'm not sure on the 100%'s but they applied the magnetic features of metal to plastic some how. It's really quite interesting.

In a regular computer each bit of data zipping around a silicon chip consists of many thousands of electrons. With spintronics, however, a bit can be shrunk to only one electron, with the direction of its spin determining whether it represents a one or a zero.

So it will be MUCH MUCH faster. Like some of the worlds top chemists are working on it. <_<

Yeah, insane shit&#33;

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,55386,00.html

The used a vanadium compound to help deal with the heat.

Miller and Epstein overcame this obstacle with a plastic called vanadium tetracyanoethanide (TCNE), which maintains magnetic qualities even above the boiling point of water (100 degrees Celsius).

yeah i also heard about a type of ram which can go up to 10gig and more a stick not very impressive considering the rate of technology nowadays but nonetheless it&#39;s more in 1 stick than my computer has in it at the moment.. the idea of holographic data seems great
    deaz\dxloa\dxedr