• Toshiyan-

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOTW #55 Voting

Default SOTW #55 Voting

Please vote.

Voting Ends September 16

kaleidoscope, hawt.

nah, I went with RoughDraft, love the originality.

Toshiyan was next, but the anime + awesome looking bg is done too often, even if it does look great.
    Last edited by Jeff; 09-10-2006 at 12:19 AM.

Roughdraft get my vote

i love the originality of it and how good it looks
    ..The Dream.

SOTW #73 Winner

I don't vote in competitions I participate in, I believe that it should be voted upon only by others and not any of the creators.

As a comment into which one I liked though, while RoughDraft is vary original, I don't choose to vote on originality, or length of time spent on the piece. I choose by how their final outcome came to be. It may seem unfair, but if you ever use your talents for more than this, you need a great outcome more than just you spent you life making it.

If I did vote it would go for jsoosiah. While it is for a game it looks professional, and simple. While I know vectors are not easy to make, they've only a few haven't had look of simplicity to them. Though I say it works for his piece not against.

You should base your votes, on who best conveyed the theme...-_-

Thats the whole idea of having a theme.

I voted for RoughDraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiyan View Post
    I don't vote in competitions I participate in, I believe that it should be voted upon only by others and not any of the creators.

As a comment into which one I liked though, while RoughDraft is vary original, I don't choose to vote on originality, or length of time spent on the piece. I choose by how their final outcome came to be. It may seem unfair, but if you ever use your talents for more than this, you need a great outcome more than just you spent you life making it.

If I did vote it would go for jsoosiah. While it is for a game it looks professional, and simple. While I know vectors are not easy to make, they've only a few haven't had look of simplicity to them. Though I say it works for his piece not against.
    I see your point. I think originality is a big part of who should win though (think about layer styles, default layer styles almost never look good anymore because anyone can use them easily, and so originality was lost in the process. If there were no layer styles and one made a drop shadow manually, it would probably look amazing at first). Of course I don't base my decision solely on originality (because if I did, I probably would have gone with Kaleidoscope), it was just the deciding factor between two equally good pieces, pretty much. As for not voting because I'm a competitor, I should consider that because it seems to be pretty one sided right now. :( Only reason I did vote is because there were plently of competitors this time around so I thought there may not have been enough other voters otherwise. Thanks for the [imaginary] vote though, it really is encouraging.

As for basing the vote on who conveyed the theme the best, I think that should only be a part of it (again, if not then Kaleidoscope would get my vote). But I guess since you appear to have authority then I'm just simply wrong.

Well while in coveying the theme, actual quality of the image matters greatly.

Maybe I should post on what qualities one should look for on a vote?

Quote Originally Posted by jsoosiah View Post
    I see your point. I think originality is a big part of who should win though (think about layer styles, default layer styles almost never look good anymore because anyone can use them easily, and so originality was lost in the process. If there were no layer styles and one made a drop shadow manually, it would probably look amazing at first). Of course I don't base my decision solely on originality (because if I did, I probably would have gone with Kaleidoscope), it was just the deciding factor between two equally good pieces, pretty much. As for not voting because I'm a competitor, I should consider that because it seems to be pretty one sided right now. Only reason I did vote is because there were plently of competitors this time around so I thought there may not have been enough other voters otherwise. Thanks for the [imaginary] vote though, it really is encouraging.

As for basing the vote on who conveyed the theme the best, I think that should only be a part of it (again, if not then Kaleidoscope would get my vote). But I guess since you appear to have authority then I'm just simply wrong.
    Sorry if that came out a bit pushy, basically I was just conveying how I thought about this. I didn't think you just voted on originality, and would totally agree that originality is quality in pieces that can make or break them. Though I've seen so many competitions won for originality over quality of piece.

But I guess since you appear to have authority then I'm just simply wrong.
    again I didn't mean for it to come out that way, sorry.

Thanks for the [imaginary] vote though, it really is encouraging.
    I'm also sorry that I didn't vote for yours, it's just I really believe others should vote.

Also what I posted earlier is my opinions and ideas, and most definitely shouldn't be over other's.

Yeah do that next time (or a sticky for all of 'em, mabye an addendum to the rest of the rules), I think it'd settle most disputes about voting.

One other thing, isn't there a way to display who voted for what (public poll I believe it was called) or is that another BB I'm thinking of? I think we should take an official stance on competitors and voting (unless I just missed it). It's obviously shameless to vote for oneself, but I think it's also unfair to that competitor to vote for someone else and end up losing because of it. I understand that the simple solution is just not to vote, like Toshiyan, but it'd be better if there were some rule covering it (again, that's if I didn't miss anything). That public voting thing would help with enforcing this, assuming we do have it.

edit - Toshiyan, that authority thing was directed at bigfatguy (and I think it's already been addressed for the most part). I respect your opinion completely, I don't mind getting no votes (this isn't anything big anyway), it's good enough to know that you like my work.
    Last edited by Jeff; 09-10-2006 at 01:39 PM.

I have to agree about "conveying the theme". I could've slapped the biggest, baddest sig out there, but if it was about growing corn, who cares. Its who conveys the theme best (what ever that means to the voter), and thats why i picked who i did (name will be withheld, but i believe they deserve it). i made mine for a bit of comic relief, but i still put time and effort in it. Should i win? no, theres better (), but if someone got a kick out of it and voted for mine, more power to the voter.

About the competitor voting, in general, i would be in favor of if you enter, then you should not be able to vote (seen as a courtesy), but since GFXVoid has slowed to a halt, its hard to justify that. Most people who vote, also create something (it helps tie you in to the SOTW). Also it would exclude "non-serious" entries. Again, my entry isn't "serious" nor do i think i have a shot at "winning" this week, so does that mean i shouldn't enter? I would like to vote also this week, there was a fine turnout and there are some great entries.

More thoughts on this later..