> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Punk Band Website

I'm in the process of making this website for my friend; he's in a punk rock band called Dirty Angelika. I know the enter page doesn't work with the rest of the site, but I plan on changing that; I just wanted to do something Matrixy at the time. Anyway, it's a crappy Geocities account, and the pages are blank, but I'm looking for a decent free service, and I can't put content on the pages until my friend gives me the information. Also, on the three Polaroids on the right side, I'm planning on putting the person's respective photograph. Anyway, please tell me what you think of it so far, constructive criticism is very welcome. The site works well in a 1024x768 resolution. But this is getting a bit lengthy, so I'll just send you to the site, now.

Click Here to go to the Website.

P.S.
    Please tell me how long it takes to load, roughly, because I only know how it loads on my computer. Thanks!
    Also, I haven't made a no frames page yet, so if it doesn't load, that may be why.
    I like my women like I like my coffee! Ground up and in the freezer.

It's cool... but I would try to make the splash page themed like the rest of the site...

Its cool, but it took about 2 minutes to load because geocities is a slow son of a bitch(&free)

It looks cool, but there's too many links and.. ow, my load time...

There's plenty of "better"' free web hosting out there. Until they start getting a lot of hits and can start paying for their own hosting, you should look up http://www.freewebs.com .. it's not the greatest, but it's decent.

I know, Geocities blows real bad. Thanks for the freewebs link, too!

Got any ideas to make it load quicker? I don't want to change the site too much, because they really like the website. You know how a lot of sites will have loading bars? I would have put one up, but I have no clue how. You've probably got to do the page in something other than HTML, anyway.

Thanks for all your advice! I'll post another link when I get some of these problems taken care of.

Uhhh... Well if you want to preload the images there are javascript/ajax scripts for that, really easy to use, otherwise you'd have to do it in Flash...

Dont host on geocities, they're servers suck, even the paid ones, get freewebs, they much faster.

that is an incredibly well made layout. seriously, it kicks ass. i would probably pay you to make something like that for my band.
    Also, im making a website for my band, and i'd liek to know how you put text over the context box image... and how would you update it? thanks in advance
    Last edited by snap; 09-17-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snap View Post
    that is an incredibly well made layout. seriously, it kicks ass. i would probably pay you to make something like that for my band.
    Also, im making a website for my band, and i'd liek to know how you put text over the context box image... and how would you update it? thanks in advance
    I'm not completely sure what you're asking, but here's the process I used to make the website, hopefully it will answer your question. (Sorry, I'm horrible with terminology in just about everything.)

First, I simply made one solid image in PS. That whole layout is one big ol' image, really (and I do have some changed made, just so everyone knows, I'll post it here today, hopefully, or tomorrow, if not today), and then, after I made the image, I sliced it in ImageReady. After I did that, I took the slices that were in position of where I wanted the content on the site to be, and I made one big image to be the iframe background, and made one cell in that location on the table. In that cell, I put an inline frame that was the same size as all the cuts put together, and placed the new background in a borderless inline frame, so it would be seamless. Then, I just made a bunch of pages to link into the inline frame. So yeah...the content box is just an inline frame. It was actually very simple to make. PS, Imageready, some hotspots, and an iframe are all it took to make that site. If you need anymore help, then please ask me, because I'd love to help you, but I'm terrible with terminology and it might take me a couple tries to explain it well. LoL. But thanks, man, I thought it was a sweet layout, too.

P.S.
    An inline frame would make the site incredibly easy to edit, since it's just a whole new page, you can update each page individually anytime you want.

Yeah, but iFrames suck. The mess the layout up if, for example, you put an image that's wider than the iframe's width, it makes it scroll horizontally. I think it would be so much better, and look so much more professional, if you coded it yourself, unstead of using the Slice tool. I could help if you want.