» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Note

Default Please Note

Don't always use Wikipedia in evidence for or against a certain point, as almost anyone can edit most topics it may not be accurate so if you use Wikipedia then look up the claims elsewhere aswell.

The Music Appreciation teacher I'm going to have next semester told us we can't use Wikipedia as a source for our papers. He explained why by saying that he first thought it was a really effecient and valuable resource. Then he looked up "light saber" and the results told him how light sabers work, how to build them, etc etc... Yeah....

but when you try to add something related to physics or something like that, after you post, someone (i dunno who :P) checks all the info youve post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...nd_reliable.3F

Wikipedia doesn't claim to be 100% accurate. But name one thing that is? I find errors in books all the time. Do you forget that regular people write all the books that you take to as undeniable fact? People that rely on other people to give them the information in the first place. There is an entire web of possible lies and misjudgements in everything you read, see, and hear. So if you're going to ban wikipedia, you should also ban books, movies, tv, newspapers, magazines, carrier pigeons, story telling, telephones, email (did you hear about the rich banking executive in zimbabwa that wants to use your bank account to transfer 30 million dollars to you?), and everything else.

The bottom line is that wikipedia is just as reliable as any source. But, you should always double check your sources (always).
    Resident father figure.

Quote Originally Posted by unit_number_43 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...nd_reliable.3F

Wikipedia doesn't claim to be 100% accurate. But name one thing that is? I find errors in books all the time. Do you forget that regular people write all the books that you take to as undeniable fact? People that rely on other people to give them the information in the first place. There is an entire web of possible lies and misjudgements in everything you read, see, and hear. So if you're going to ban wikipedia, you should also ban books, movies, tv, newspapers, magazines, carrier pigeons, story telling, telephones, email (did you hear about the rich banking executive in zimbabwa that wants to use your bank account to transfer 30 million dollars to you?), and everything else.

The bottom line is that wikipedia is just as reliable as any source. But, you should always double check your sources (always).
    i agree with you, but i also agree with Ben.

ppl who write books. most of the time, are ppl who know a lot of what they are talking about. wich in wikipedia sometimes dont. but, that doesnt mean it is a bad source. cuse ive never found something wrong in wikipedia.

but as you said so, you have to double check your sources

(excuse my english... :P)

It's a double-edged sword, some of the material is spot on, while others are liable to be inaccurate. You can't take it all in at face value. Like good ol' 43 mentioned, double check. Wiki shouldn't be your ONLY source.

Most topics on wikipedia are so complex that they require that some people actually know what they're talking about. Some kid can't edit stuff about NP Completeness for example and make it look convincing. It's quite obvious.

My profs discourage using Wikipedia as a proper source (since they always seem to want some journals by PhDs to be cited), but encourage using it to get a general idea of the subject.
    It's MORPHIN' time!
    github
    deviantART
    Last.FM
    carrotderek

What i mean is people can edit Wikipedia with wrong info on purpose, you dont get many people writing books just to give you wrong info. And not anyone is going to write a book, where as anyone may edit Wiki.

Mmm there are alot of people that check it, like.. every update is checked

OK, I can tell you from experience that wikipedia is damn reliable. I've been doing research there(not as my only source mind you) for over 4 years and I've never found one iota of false information. One time my English teacher brought up the point that anybody could edit it, so I did an experiment. I was researching some historical event, not too prominent, but something in reason that you would find yourself researching for a class(I think it was the American Prohibition). Anyways, I edited it, changed a date and misspelled a word I think, and in a matter of hours it was fixed. I was quite surprised, good service my friends. And you can go and see a list of all previous edits, so if you really wanna look for accuracy just look at the most recent edits and see if anything is something small or just a little thing like a date or name.
    If you want help...
    Screw you
    If you make sigs...
    Screw you

I never had false info from Wiki just saying