» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dead System - C&C please..

READ:

Okay, this is what I have been doing the last two days. It's suppost to be the space art 2 entry, if I may enter with this one. If not, then ok. :P I sat up to 5 in the morning and worked on this and finally I feel I am somewhat finished. Or that is for you to decide! I want you to give me criticism on this one, because I want it to be really good. Like daily deviation worthy. :P I guess my eyes are too used to this scene to see any obvious mistakes, if there are any.

So, give me criticism if you can come up with anything. But PLEASE do try to concentrate on more obvious stuff rather than small details that took you 10 minutes to find. Searching for errors are just silly, so go for the most important stuff! But if you really need to tell me detail errors, then do it. :P It can be important in the end too.

Also, if the title sucks, please help me come up with a better one and I'll give you a thanks in my deviation in DA. I haven't uploaded it yet - of course. That's why I'm asking for help.

Title: Dead System (Good? Bad? Help me out here)
    Tools: Photoshop, Wacom Graphire3, Terragen, Bryce (lol)
    Worktime: Around 22 hours so far. Had to get some sleep after 13 hours. :P

Edits:
    - Made "mountain beacons" thinner + fixed lighting on them (might just make them thinner again)
    - Added highlights to the lava
    - Darkened the back side of the mountain chain in the bottom
    - Added a little more highlights to the planets (might do more though)
    - A little less red in the clouds
    - Erased a small part of the city on the left
    - Changed the star a little

More to come! Jack has also pointed out some stuff in a PM that I will into.

----------------------------------------

I'll write some kind of story or description for this work later when I submitt it to DA. The city, volcano, planets and solar system will have names. The city (or maybe it's a big factory-city-whatever or something) is getting all it's power from the volcano, but is pretty well protected from the danger. But of course it's probably not so safe to be so close to a fucking volcano. Anyways, I'll come up with everything later.

Hope you like it.

If you want you can check out the Terragen render I used here: http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/7863/grrroundge1.jpg
    Last edited by MartinBabies; 11-03-2006 at 02:54 AM.

nice, some of the pillars and city areas are out of perspective of off their respective planes... i noticed near the base of the volcano the city looked like it was going underground partially.. you might try emphasizing the line between the two...

secondly... clouds normally arent red at night.. i assume you were trying to tie them into the color of the volcano.. but there wouldn't be THAT much reflective color. Try toning it down to match the space scene or ground more.. try to use red as only subtle accents, a violet, or grey would be much more suited for the image, even possibly a green.

now space scene... starts are nice.. but the planets look like you used solely mid-tones and shades.. i dont notice any apparent highlights (aside from the glows) ... this makes it much more dull in my eyes and takes away from the overall 'image' (at least in the upper portions)

lava is very well done, though some richer reds and yellows might be needed to make it 'glow' more... it almost looks flat/dull in some parts.

I love it though Rab, keep it up.

Thanks Ricky!

Hmm, can you be more specific about the pillars' perspective? I can't see it.. I can see what you meant with the city though, I'll try to make it better.

Well, about the clouds, I was thinking that the planet(s) themselves are very poisonous (spelling?), and therefore I had very red clouds. The scene is not on Earth. I will look into it though. Maybe I can tone the colors down a tad. Still want them pretty red though.

And for the space scene.. Thanks, I'll see what I can do. The space scene is what I worked the least on. So that is what I thought could be the big "error".

Lava is what I worked most on. It was like 6-7 lava hours. I'll see what I can do with hightlights and stuff.

Thanks!

ahh i see, well i personally havent seen red poison.. maybe try adding a yellow tone to parts of it or somthing.. people usually reconise yellow or pea green as a form of poisonous gas... though who knows it could be that way on other planets.. it just seems like the clouds are very flat... maybe try adding more contrast.. it might make the red look alot better.

edit: about the lava... your color seems very uniform in some areas and has fairly even color... and image like this
    has more variation of tone and looked much brighter and seems to glow at points of high contrast.
    Last edited by ROTD; 11-02-2006 at 06:13 PM.

I think this is awesome, a few things that I find a bit weird..

It looks like some of the pillars are standing weird (if you look at the base of them), also the lighting looks wrong on the far right one (shouldn't you only barely be able to see the light reflecting of the pillar?)

Also the two pillars in the middle of the city look a bit out of place..

The sun or bright star that reflects light on the rest of the planets looks a bit weird too.
    http://peksa.se - photos by me.

Amazing job!!!

Title-wise, maybe Desolation, Abandoned Life (sp), Hot Rock.

Just spit balling.

For the programming inclined:

Well, maybe not poisonous like that, but you know, extremely polluted because of volcano eruptions and stuff like that! You know, Mordor style!

I have looked on many many reference photos when painting the lava. And also Dylan Cole's lava for the LotR volcano. It seems that it sometimes is in different tones (some very dark) and sometimes it is pretty much just in one tone. I'll try to add some brighter parts to the lava. I'll update the picture when I think it's ready again. Thanks.

Thanks guys, I'll look into all your critzzzz. Sorry for the double post!

cool, that looks sweet
    i dont really like how the tower lights work

Quote Originally Posted by Horus View Post
    cool, that looks sweet
    i dont really like how the tower lights work
    Huh? Please explain what you mean. :P The reason why I put them there is simply because without them you couldn't see that it was a mountain chain. It looked just like a big steep, which I didn't want. Also, it added alot more depth than without.

If that's what you meant, then please don't write stuff like that without explaining or giving criticism. I mean, ok you don't like it, woooh!

Or maybe you meant something else. :P