» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Books

Default Books

Yeah.. no one ever talks about books anymore. And im guessing it would go in here.

So this is just a general thread to spark discussions, favourite authors, books etc. Books currently reading etc.

Im reading... Incompetence by Rob Grant, Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski, and plays im reading Our Country's Good by Timberlake Wertenbaker.

Favourite Author... Fiest or Danielewski.
    Favourite Book... One of Fiests.. or Foundation (Asimov duh) or Farenheit451 (Bradbury)

Yeah... discusssssss

Currently reading; A Short History Of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
    Favourite Author - Philip Pullman

"I find that on the internet, everyone is very tough in an anonymous, pussy kind of way" - Josh Homme

Ah, i started to read one of Bill Bryson's books.. errrrm.... notes from a small island? It was quite good, but I dunno where the book went :S And i was reading other things in between so.. I'm reading like 2 atm, but the play i'm more studying so i've read it like 3 times already. Im performing in it in a few months. Its quite an easy going play, I need to read something more indepth.

His Dark Materials are possibly the best collection ive ever read, written by Philip Pullman they are a really good read, id reccomend to anyone.

"I find that on the internet, everyone is very tough in an anonymous, pussy kind of way" - Josh Homme

I agree. His Dark Materials are the three books I can reccommend to anyone. I love that there's a lit. section now!

My favs in no perticular order:

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
    This is possibly THE greatest science fiction novel of all time. I can't stress enough how great it is. In fact, two english teachers at my school are now having their classes read it.

Battlefield - L. Ron Hubbard
    Ignore the terrible movie, this 1050 page monster is an epic within itself. Hardcore scifi readers reccommended.

Rainbow Six - Tome Clancy
    Yeah, THIS is where all those video games came from. Seriously, it's his best book with non-stop action and a great plot.

The Best of Dave Barry - Dave Barry
    If none of you know who Dave Barry is, you should be dragged out into the street and shot. Proclaimed as the funniest man in america, his short articles written for the Miami Herald will have you dying laughing. People look at me all crazy when I start snorting while trying to suppress a snigger. Amazing journalism.

Somewhere much better than where you are.

Ah I enjoy the Andy McNab books, currently reading the latest one; Recoil.

I've read the Harry Potter books and a book on gangs, they're the only books i've realy read lol.

im currently reading

The Gospel According to Jesus Christ by Jose Saramago

and

The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov

and

Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds

they all are so fucking great
    i'm almost finish wit The Godspel Accoording to Jesus and Absolution Gap

i love reading ^_^

I kind of like the style of books where there is like... magic but it's set in a realistic world. I've read some books called Lirael, Abhorsen, Sabriel. i think they're by Garth Nix.

A girl can enter death, she is the abhorsen, her job is to stop the dead reaching life again. but greater dead etc etc etc big drama, her dad is trapper in 'death' and he can't get out. He dies... SUCH a good and inventive series.

I also like war books, Band of Brothers is a pretty unique style for a war book

And then there's lotr, ace book And the hobbit!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    I kind of like the style of books where there is like... magic but it's set in a realistic world.
    hey Dale you should read Groosham Grange byAnthony Horowitz
    if you like magic, you are going to love that book. J. K. Rowling stole lot of things from that book to make Harry Potter. but on Groosham Grange is not white magic, is black magic

you should read it =-]