There is an emelemt of fun, additionally people like to see themselves in a different effect, that can't be done just by using a run of the mill filter.
For those pics each colour is ona different layer, then I have added in saturation and contrast and linked the layers to create the shading. I think it's fun.

I agree it's also good to do something original and you feel better for doin so..but in a whim of being artistic it is possible to borrow from a photograph and then twist the rest of the medium. Look at the 2d gallery in the melissa clifton website, especially the two kids dressed up for holloween, there is a huge difference between the source image and the digital art image.

The other aspect is line art..I like it..but I'm still bettering myself at it...it's fun, and there are people who would pay to get something like that done.

I would like to start editing on photo realism, and in styles of some of the examples here, but that will have towait untill I get a new computer...my ram is wimpering everytime I kick off photoshop or 3d s max 8.

I like trying my hand at freehandart..though I am trying to teach myself facial structure..it's proving to be more difficult than I thought!