> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up

I don`t know if this is the right place to post this, but I think there are so many here who have the answeres I nead.

I am gonna rent a server/webhotel om domeneshop.no, since I live in Norway and they are popular, serviceminded and have a nice price... 1000 MB = $6-7. They also have domene for rent $6 for one year with .com ending and I`m gonna rent it there.

I also are looking for a forum and think I may buy it from vbulletin.com = $160.

I don`t know anything about setting up a forum. But I have worked in two forums as Admin, but the forums were already up when I joined. I managed most of the stuff in the adminpanel, but not all.

So, what I nead to know... When I have my domene, my server, and bought my forum... How do I make this tree conected?
    So that when somebody type in the domene adress my forum will show...

I also would like to know how to place a logo picture made in APS CS up in the top left corner. I know I nead to put the picture in my server and write a link, but I don`t know where to write and what the link phrase could be..

I also would like to know how to make a page in APS CS, who can be used as a frontpage. So when people type in my adress this page will show... and they may choose to enter a norwegian or a international (english) forum or go to the Download area (Which will be in english). And in this tree parts I`d like some buttons, who leads them to where they want to go.. Example.. you are in the downloadarea and want to go to the norwegian area you just click a button, you are in the norwegian area and want to enter the international you just click a button.

This project is for all the simsfan out there.. I make so much re-color and other stuff other may use in their games.. so I really like to make this work..

So now I hope someone will help me or give me some links to tutorials about this. Since I can`t pay anyone to help me setting this up... I`m just a poor artist..

Btw. sorry for bad english :blink:
    - Tanna

Ok, first off I dont think you need to get vBulletin - its an expensive rip off. PHPBB and Invision 2.0.0 (v4) Are all free, great options.

First off, you buy the domain and hosting. After that, purchase the hosting. Go into your domains cpanel and change, go into the nameserver section, then edit the nameservers to your hosts nameservers. Now, you may have to wait 2-3 days.

After awhile, your domain will resolve, and you should either see a directory or a temporary page. Log into your FTP, upload the files, and run the install file (usually either /install.php or /install).

Good Luck!

Im looking for an out-of-country host, possibly you could help me translate (so I purchase the correct package)

Thank you so much!
    I`m gonna look at those two alternatives..

Another question: About trafic, does it have something to do withe the forumboard or the server? I have heard about people whos page are down because they are pass yhe traficlimit...

And off course I`d like to help you translate.
    I may translate into/from Norwegian, Swedish and Danish.
    Which country are you and the others here from?
    And are you looking for a free host? I don`t know of any free here in Norway.

About the place I will rent my server domeneshop.no... I have sent them a mail today about prices above 1000 MB. It seems that 1000MB are the biggest package they have on their site. But I guess they will offer me bigger server for å nice price. When I get my answere I will let you know.

-Tanna

It has to do with the host/server. For example, lets say you come to GFXVoid and view index.php. Now, you had to download index.php, and all the images. So my server just sent you 300kb (example). If you get 500kb traffic, and another person attempts to view/dowload something, your service would get disabled.

Im looking for a host with 5gigs (5000mb) of transfer, and is in a foriegn country. (Norway would be great&#33. I can pay with US creditcard/PayPal.com

Im trying to host some game hacks, and all US/UK hosts get shut down.

traffic is basically the amount of users that visit your webpage from a certain location, wether it be affiliates or links or google, etc...

Originally posted by lob@Jan 17 2005, 05:53 AM
    traffic is basically the amount of users that visit your webpage from a certain location, wether it be affiliates or links or google, etc...
    [snapback]1297[/snapback]
    Traffic, yes. But bandwith is the amount of data users download from your page including documents, pages, images, and downloads.

Originally posted by tacoX+Jan 17 2005, 06:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tacoX &#064; Jan 17 2005, 06:52 AM)</div>
    It has to do with the host/server. [/b]
    Yes, that make sence... thank you...

<!--QuoteBegin-tacoX
    @Jan 17 2005, 06:52 AM
    Im looking for a host with 5gigs (5000mb) of transfer, and is in a foriegn country. (Norway would be great&#33. I can pay with US creditcard/PayPal.com
    Im trying to host some game hacks, and all US/UK hosts get shut down.
    [snapback]1296[/snapback]
    I`m gonna let you know... I don`t know so much about this but it has free trafic.
    And I have searched both in Sweden and Denmark for this, and I havent found any cheaper and better.
    I don`t know why your hosts shut down...
    But may I ask what game the hacks are for?
    We have a superb forum for thesims2 mod. www.modthesims2.com it is an international forum. I`m a member there myself. And there are a lot of smart people hanging there... they may also lead you to other sites.

I`m also gonna find out about the payment, most people in Norway use VISA..
    And since its a &#036;1.20-1.50 more for 1000MB than 500MB I guess 5000MB wouldn`t cost so much.
    -Tanna

Originally posted by tacoX@Jan 17 2005, 07:13 AM
    Traffic, yes. But bandwith is the amount of data users download from your page including documents, pages, images, and downloads.
    [snapback]1302[/snapback]
    So Traffic (Oh..it`s with a dubble F...) and bandwith are two separate things.. :unsure:
    If there are a limited bandwith... what do you think is a ok limit if you have 300 people on your page each day and they download a lot... say 20 - 50 MB each.

And I guess if members uploads... it also consern the bandwith...

As I understood.. all the clicking true pages in a forum goes on the bandwith ... all the activities there..

BTW: I visited both the forumboards you refered to, and I may have been blind, but I couldn`t see any free versions... There were trials, but I guess they only work for a limited periode... So since I don`t know so much about this I guess the safest is to buy the vbulletinboard... It costs &#036;160, but then It`s mine as long as I want it and all the updates are for free.
    Since I`m gonna have designergroups who will upload their stuff also I think stability is important. I cant take the risk of loosing it...
    And I can`t pay profesionals to do it for me..
    -Tanna

Traffic is NOT limited. CPU Usage and Bandwith ARE limited. All user activity ads to bandwith. More users = More Bandwith. For a new site w/o downloads, 5gigs should be fine. When you start growing you need more and more.

This site, because of the many tutorials (with lots of pictures) is using almost 10x the bandwith as all of the other sites in the network.

Invision is no longer free, but most cpanels you purchase wil have a free, older version installed. PHP may say its a trial, but its an unlimited trial. I assure you PHPBB is free.

vBB is great board software, yet somewhat expensive.

Isn&#39;t english your first language? Your pretty damn fluent in it .....