» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Unhappy External harddisk

uhm, I bought an external harddisk few years ago. It was like implanted in a case with on/off button etc. But the case broke so I removed the case ( and broke the warranty void FFS ) and now it looks like this >.>

and tried to connect it inside of my computer but everytime I did so, my computer would just reboot

Did anyone have this problem before?

There's probably a couple reasons for this.

1) Your system is running in Cable Select Mode. Meaning that it picks the first hard drive on the ribbon and assumes that is the master drive.

2) Jumper is set incorrectly. The jumper is probably set to either CS (Cable Select) or MA (Master) it should be set to SL (Slave) and your main hard drive should be set to MA (Master). This is the most probably reason as to why it's happening.

3) I've had problems with hard drives that just don't want to work when other drives are on the same ribbon. I don't know why it is, I don't know what makes it that way, but I had a Western Digital that would only work in CS (Cable Select) and if another hard drive was installed, no matter where on the ribbon it was, it wouldn't work.

You can buy just a case for an external hard drive. I think they're like $30. You can drop any hard drive into it and it'll act as an external drive. Simple and quick fix if you want to keep it external.
    Resident father figure.

i would say put it into your computer cos usb has lower data transfer speeds and internal hard drives work much faster. and i would agree and say its the jumper not set correctly that would be the problem

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    i would say put it into your computer cos usb has lower data transfer speeds and internal hard drives work much faster. and i would agree and say its the jumper not set correctly that would be the problem
    how do I set it correctly? -_-
    I'm a noob, I know :/

In your (boyfriend/girlfriend/mum/dad/pet dog)'s bed. With a weapon.

Back of hard disk, where connections are. the jumper's the one that looks like a six pin connection with a little black thing over two of the pins. There should be something saying what the option is just above the jumpers... 's what it's like on mine, anyway.

USB sucks. Firewireplz.
    Disks are always full. It is futile to try to get more disk space. Data expands to fill any void.