> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Thread: Dynamic IP

Default Dynamic IP

All I currently know is that it means your ip changes, but why would you need one? What's the benefit of having one?

Also if there is a benefit how would you get one XD.

Help appreciated.

http://searchvb.techtarget.com/sDefi...520967,00.html

i didn't read it i'm sorry but it might help
    deaz\dxloa\dxedr

basically it's just easy for the ISP's to do it that way. They purchase blocks of IP's and then deal them out to people as they need them. It allows for ISP's to support more customers than they would be able to by assigning static IP's. It was also very easy to implement with dial-up connections, because they were on an as needed basis.
    Resident father figure.

If you have an ISP, chances are great that you have a dynamic IP. Dynamic IP's, always changing, allow servers/routers/ISP's to make sure that each computer always has an unique IP. Dynamic IP's are assigned by a DHCP sever, ( Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Static IP's are completely opposite. They are always the same, and are assigned manually. The benefit of a static IP is that you always know your IP address (for networking purposes).

The benefit is mostly for the Internet service providers, as unit#43 mentioned, they can use a smaller total number of IP addresses for more customers. That's with dial-up Internet connections for the most part.

There *might* be a slight security benefit to having a dynamic IP address in that your IP changes often, so nobody else will know exactly what it will change to next. When your IP is static, it's sort of like a phone number for your Internet connection - but not exactly.

Dynamic IPs are generally used by ISPs to provide dial-up type Internet connections. Dynamic IP addresses are also often used on private local area networks, via DHCP as bigfatguy mentioned, but I'm guessing your concern is more regarding your public IP address for your actual Internet connection and not your LAN IP.

Static IP addresses are more permanent, used for web servers, network routers, etc. Basically for Internet connections that need to be on 24/7.

Broadband type Internet connections use somewhat of a semi-static IP address. With those types of connections the IP addresses rarely ever change, but they are not guaranteed to be static unless you pay for that. With my broadband Internet provider I believe my IP address has changed maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 4 years.

There are benefits to having static IP addresses as well.

GFXVoid.com Publisher & Network Admin