» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS 450D

Default Canon EOS 450D

Canon EOS 450D, Canon's new entry-level camera, was presented yesterday. It will be released in stores in april sometime. I was hoping for a 5D mkII but since it's all about money they release a new entry-level camera. Funny thing is that it pretty much owns the 40D (except on the ISO and construction...) which was released like 3 months ago.

New stuff:

* 12MP
    * Bigger 3" LCD screen
    * Liveview with both AF modes (contrast-detect and passive)
    * 14-bit processing and RAW
    * spot metering,
    * Better AF (9 point with Cross-type F2.8 at centre)
    * 3.5 fps continuous shooting for up to 53 JPEG (6 RAW)
    * Highlight Tone Priority (from 40D)
    * Larger viewfinder (still uses mirrors not a prism, but is probably on a par with that from the 30D)
    * SD/SDHC storage
    * New higher capacity battery. Lithium-Ion LP-E5 rechargeable battery (7.4 V, 1050 mAh)
    * ISO in the viewfinder
    * Slight redesign of shape to improve handling
    * Redesigned battery grip (BG-E5). The BG-E5 can take two of the new LP-E5 batteries or 6 AA batteries. Number of Shots: Temperature Shooting Conditions, No flash/50% flash use, At 73° F/23° C approx. 600/ approx. 500, At 32° F/0° C approx. 500/ approx.400

And as you can see, the new kit lens has Image stabilizer, which is a good improvement. The camera price will be $799US, so it's not that expensive either. This is now the most advanced entry-level camera. We'll see what Nikon's next move will be... I'm still hoping for a 5D mkII from Canon, because that will definitely be my next camera.
    Last edited by MartinBabies; 01-25-2008 at 06:04 PM.

In your (boyfriend/girlfriend/mum/dad/pet dog)'s bed. With a weapon.

Does it support DNG?
    Disks are always full. It is futile to try to get more disk space. Data expands to fill any void.

No, but there are converters to download of course. The RAW file format is CR2.

Of course, upgrading from a 300D, 350D, 400D the user would have to change battery grip, battery type, and memory format, costing upgraders many more $'s - not a smart move by canon

Also, why did Canon use in lens stabilizers, in body (as used in Pentax and Oly cameras) is much more economic and keeps lens prices down

What makes it the most advanced entry level SLR? Id say they were pretty much all the same by now; The 2mp over the past cameras and the new K200D Isnt much. I guess, it support around 3.4FPS? K200D Uses a pentaprism, has more AF points.

And also with the Samsung GX-20 going to retail at a low price, you could get a much more advanced camera for around $100-200 more The K20D/GX20 will be the camera with the highest MP under £3000

You can only make the comment that its the most advanced entry level SLR when the reviews come out, its high level (800-1600) ISO could be crap, and IQ could be low. Not to mention problems with focussing and metering, which have happened to canon in the past

I agree that a 5D MKII wouldve been a nicer camera for Canon to bring out - a new cheap FF camera is desperately wanted, I'm guessing, by (semi)pros.

Now that was a pretty biased post by me
    Hah
    But I do believe Pentax took the right road with in body SR; it means all Pentaxs awesssome prime lenses stay cheap, and theyre good zoom lenses stay decent
    SR in pentax cameras works about 4 stops, what is it with the in lens SR?

I reckon by the end of the year, Pentax sales will be upto 15% of market share
    The combination of Hoya, excellent glass, Pentax, expert camera knowledge, and Samsung, awesome electronics cannot go wrong;
    The 3200 ISO of the K20D is comparable to the noise levels of 800 ISO in the K10D - and ISO quality in the K10D, was good too.

[edit]

Oh and just wait till Pentax release the 645D AND OWNZ JOO ALL
    lololol
    But seriously, I don't like Canikon that much. All they have over Oly and Pentax is the fact they are the only companies with professional FF DSLRs out - Entry level cameras are all the same these days, there is no arguement there. The reason Pentax have an advantage over other companies is that they have a suspected 50,000,000 different lenses to put on their cameras
    Last edited by robgasm; 01-26-2008 at 03:34 AM.

Yes I agree on that it's not a good thing Canon users have to spend money on a new battery grip, batteries and memory. Though, Canons switched to SD to make room for the 3" LCD and the memory will also be a bit cheaper. I don't think the memory is a big problem. The new battery grip is said to have a better design and the batteries have longer life.
    I'm not sure why Canon not has built in IS. But my guess is that the price would go up and they want to keep it pretty low. Many beginner photographers never buy a second lens.
    It makes it the most advanced entry-level SLR because of the Live view which supports all kinds of AF (the only camera in the world that does this, not 40D or even 1D mkIII supports that), the menu system is from the 1D. 4 fps and an improved 9 point AF. Uhm, is the K200D even out yet? Weird to compare them. I HIGHLY doubt that the noise reduction will be worse than on the 400D. That would be stupid.

I'm still convinced the 450D is the most advanced entry-level camera. But that doesn't mean that Pentax's next camera won't be better (but they gonna have to work hard to beat Canon). I'm talking about today.

Nah the K200D isnt out yet, but neither is the 450D
    Anyway, basically I meant, it attracts new buyers rather than upgraders, which is a shame since the 40D is not as good - though I suspect a 50D will be in the works by the end of the year, probably announced at Photokina

Yeah, I forgot about live view, and for an entry level camera its awesome it has live histogram and all

We shall see; the K200D certainly wont be better but the K20D has the power to challenge high end cameras
    Only advantages the K200D has over the 450D, is the pentaprism, full weather sealing, and increased dynamic range.

Infact to quote a beta ester under NDA, and an awesome photographer, Benjamin Kanarek,

The images shot at the mid iso settings are as clean as 100-160 on the K10D. The colour is magnificent. The noise levels at the top iso end of this camera are about the same as 640 to 1000 on the K10D. As I will not get in to specifics until the embargo has been lifted, I will say this. As an ex-Canon user and sponsored by them, I had an opportunity to use all of their products. This camera is as good or better than the Canon products. The noise shown in the upper iso area looks more like fine film grain than digital noise.
    This is the best camera on the market today in the mid to upper mid price range. It will compete with the top of the line Nikon and Canon and will do so with no excuses. It won't be fair to compare this camera to the Canon 40D & Nikon D90 as this camera is out of their league and swims comfortably in the waters of the Canon 1D mk lll and Nikon D300...
    Last edited by robgasm; 01-26-2008 at 05:39 AM.

I'm hoping for a 5D mkII rather than a 50D. If they release a 50D before 5D I'm gonna nuke them and so will all the Canon users. :P And if I decide to buy a new camera before the release I'll probably go with a second hand mkII...

K20D sounds great. But it won't be FF right? I wonder why not more manufacturers make FF cameras. I mean Canon 5D is the only FF semi pro camera. Not even Nikon has one! And the 5D is like 2½ years old... Pretty weird.

FF means new lenses are needed.
    Whats the main advantage of FF over APS-C sensors?
    Pentax may be making a 1D, which could be FF, or 1.25x crop.
    And they will eventually bring out the MF 645D

I wish I could afford a new camera
    Why do you want the 5D MKII to come out when your gona buy a second hand 1D mkII?

Plus you will need like awessome lenses, (L range) for the quality to be good on a FF, and they are like half the cameras price

[edit] Oh the 1D mkII isnt FF is it, its like 1.3x crop.
    Eh anyway
    Last edited by robgasm; 01-26-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Sharper, better image quality and no fucking crop.
    The 5D mkII is gonna kick some serious 1D mkII ass. :P I do have one L lens and as I am aiming for photography as a profession the prices won't be so much of a problem anymore. And if everything goes according to plan I won't need so many lenses. My 17-40 will be an awesome wide-angle on FF, and then I'll buy a 70-200 2.8L. Maybe an 85 1.2 L II.

But anyways, this is pretty OT...

hmmm, 799 US isn't too bad!
    i might sell my camera, get a job, and throw my birthday money in to try and get one! my casio exilim doesn't quite cut it any more :S