» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Default Another WIP - for the school's website

So yeah, my title explains it all... they don't even let me finish my own website D:

They wanted something like microsoft's website, so that's what I tried to make.

I still haven't implemented the sidebar they requested, and the whole frame system they want for sub-navigation...

TOP - WITH A BUTTON HIGHLIGHTED
    BOTTOM

CnC gladly appreciated : )

-konfusion

For a school website its much better then most there is!
    it sure goes in the same line as the microsoft one except a slight color change and being a 1 column layout.
    The menu link color is a bad choice though, it needs to lighter or darker beacuse now it's almost blending with the grey background! wich isn't what you want from what I know :P.

I do hope your not speaking of actual html frames as they severely removes accesability for people with screen readers etc. that should be a serious nono for any school website unless you make a splash page with a text version of your site.

Other than that i don't think its anything special and if i remember it right you have done better!
    work a bit more on it, try to improve accessability and such.

good job .

It's too generic to be a school website. Every school website I've seen distinguishes what you would expect to experience at that school. take for instance http://www1.sheridaninstitute.ca/ - this is the college I went to. It's one of the best "technical institutes" in Canada for art/animation/photography/advertising, etc. And the website looks creative to match that. Think about what the school has to offer and then design.

too graphics orientated to be a school website
    looks like a forum or a graphics portfolio or something
    simpler, more professional

my school website is http://merchanttaylors.com
    its awesome.

i agree with Rob on this one. It's a little too artsy for an education website.
    Resident father figure.

yeah, unless you updated with school orientated images and other media types it's way too artsy..

i think before you start web designing the best thing to do is research other school websites, and business things..
    the best designers find areas of a design where isn't in direct connection but can be intergrated with the design..
    for instance robs schoolw website.. white background.

my college website is a white background http://www.ntc.ac.uk/ my high school website the same http://www.altrinchamcollege.com/

education falls under business nowadays and colour falls under art aesthetically where as business is plain depending on the business
    whether it's professional or other. plain colours represent business well because business is about business not art.. this is because there's a divide in peoples mind there are business orientated thoughts and creative orientated thoughts.

and ughh i can't verbalise well what i mean but hopefully adam could rectify my paragraph into something more understandable as i feel he understands what i mean being an established web designer, to me anyway
    Last edited by Deadloader; 02-04-2008 at 06:49 PM.
    deaz\dxloa\dxedr

Lemme clarify: this is the school's website for students. The one where infos and deadlines are posted, etc. This by no means is the official website: on that, I would take a more 3-colored, no grad approach. Plain and simple
    Official website

What I got to design was the fun website.

edit: button update:

-konfusion
    Last edited by konfusion; 02-05-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Well.

Focus your attention on focusing attention... That is a terrible terrible pun, and I should be banned for it.

There is no structure to the layout, it's just a sea of text. It took me a really long time to figure out that you've got three separate paragraphs there. Imagine how long it would take to find something I needed to read (too long). So, break up the layout with borders, spacing, graphics; and decide how you want things to flow. Without looking back the website, can you name the focal point and what that then directs your eye too? Well it's just barely the title (just barely because it almost blends in with the background colors) and it's so long that it just shoots your eye right off the page. You need something to bring you back to the next line and the body content.

Sorry for railing you, ignore it if you want.
    Resident father figure.

you is banned, adam!