Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buying a DSLR?

Default buying a DSLR?

hey gfxvoidians,
    i'm thinking of trading in my compact camera for cash, and saving up for a DSLR. anyone have any recommendations?
    i was thinking maybe an olympus E-410, a canon eos 400D, or a nikon D40X. are there any other cameras around that price range worth mentioning?
    i'm drawn to the E-410, because of its great value for money. but does anyone know how easy it is to find decent lenses for this camera, should i wish to upgrade from the stock lens?

can any photography veterans help me decide? i'm mainly interested in image quality (nothing under 10mpx ), and will be mainly taking landscape/macro/portrait photos.
    thanks in advance.
    Last edited by snap; 02-19-2008 at 09:02 AM.

in this price range
    Oly e-410
    Canon 350d
    Canon400d
    Nikon d40x
    Pentax k100d
    Pentax k100d super
    Pentax k10d (maybe, could be a bit more)

e-410 is good, light, small, has live view
    350d and 400d are generally good, good IQ, good autofocusing. they have no up or down really. canon are known for their usability, and popularity. Its probably easier to buy accessories for the canon but lenses are expensive bar like, a few.
    d40x is shit dont buy it.
    k100d/k100d super, great high iso image quality. lots of lenses available and cheaper than other companies, shake reduction in camera. Pentax are well known for quality lenses.
    k10d, more towards prosumer camera, mid range, very good, shake reduction again, and lenses again. Fully weather sealed (rain, dust, snow, etc) One of the best cameras last year, winning PopPhoto (a prestigious us magazine) editors choice award for advanced dslr catagory, the TIPA 2007 award for the best "Expert Digital SLR", the EISA Camera of the year award (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...nd_Association for description of EISA) and the Japanese Camera Grand Prix 2007.

theres also a sony one but it didnt review well and there arent lenses and its not worth it
    the reason i said d40(x) was shit was that it doesnt have an in camera motor so basically, you have to buy expensive lenses for auto focus.

image quality has fuck all to do with megapixels btw. all of those i listed are 10mp apart from 350D, 8mp, and K100D, 6mp. Super is 10.
    the sigma SD14, 4.7mp image output has one of the best IQs in its range
    IQ also depends heavily on lenses

check out http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/ for some reviews
    and before you buy
    go to a photography shop and see how they feel in your hands
    the e-410 might be TOO small, etc
    I know the canon and the pentax cameras are liked for ergonomics.

Okay ive written a decent amount
    hope it helps
    im a pentaxian so probably biased
    but i stated facts
    wait for martins pro canon reply?
    Last edited by robgasm; 02-19-2008 at 01:53 PM.

I'm too tired for a pro canon reply. xP
    Go to any camera store, try out all the entry level cameras, go home, read reviews (dpreview.com) and then buy the one you liked the most. And a tip is not to get the most expensive one but to rather spend money on a lens, because that's what matters the most. When you become better at photography you can consider getting a better camera, but with you being a beginner it would be a waste of money.
    Mp and image quality isn't the same thing. My friend shoots with a Nikon D50 (6 mp) and his images have the same quality as mine. You can even get really good prints with a 5-6 mp camera. I mean big prints. But oh well, the Canon 400D will go down in price when Canon release their new 450D (in april) so you'll be able to get it cheap.

Yeah
    my ownly piece of advise apart from stating whats better
    actually i have three
    Dont get an early olympus, they have BAD noise levels
    Dont get a Nikon D40/x, a D50 and D70 are awesome
    Dont care much about the camera, all DSLRs are good these days

Its mainly about what you like the most, and if you like holding it.
    And yeah, lenses.
    And always try and save for what you want.
    Theres no point in buying a 70-300 F4.5-6.3, for £80, then deciding the 50-200 F3.5-5.6 is better, for £150, and then deciding your going to buy a 70-200 F2.8 for £400 (those are made up numbers but you get the idea), just save for the good one.

Well
    You dont have to follow that theory but personally i dont see the point in buying crap just to waste the money.

Since I'm still really new to photography I don't have a lot to say, except for teh fact that I love the 350d.

I agree with whats said above, you should definetly go to a camera store and hold them.

I wouldn't stray away from the reviews about the 350d or 400d being too small, I have the 350d, and to put it quite simply I'm a BIG man, I don't find it hard to grip the camera at all. People writing those reviews must have fricken trees for hands.

My DevART
    RATCHET is my bitch
    Andrew says:
    u ever stolen a bible?
    Apathy says:
    no
    used the last two pages to roll a joint though
    Andrew says:
    wow
    thats fucking hard core
    ^^HAHAHA, dm sucks XD

thanks for the great advice guys! really shed some light on the situation.
    i might head down the the camera shop within the next week and handle all their cameras to see which one feels the best.
    also rob, lol my mate just bought a D40x, i feel well sorry for him now. i'll try not to bring up its crapness in his presence!

Yes when buying lenses, it's ok to buy a cheap 50mm 1.8 just to have something else than the kit lens. But apart from that lens, all cheap lenses are crap. The 50mm is crap as well, but it's very sharp. The construction is poor and the overall feel is like a toy, kinda. Buy a real lens when you can afford one.

Most primes are very sharp
    Apart from a sigma I read about
    Well, its very sharp. Infact, the sharpest lens EVAR in the centre, but towards the border its crap, and its got loads of CA and PF ahahah

Yes, I would say straight away to buy the 50mm F/1.8, and if your buying pentax, the 1.4. Its one of the best lenses around, and £160, well built too.

rob why do you think d40 is crap?

It's possible you prefere Canon but other poeple prefer Nikon. The Nikon D40 kit lens has a very good kitlens compared to the price. There is nothing wrong with that camera. Reviews are really positive and I tried it in the shop and feels quite cool(that´s subjective, I know...) Maybe the reason you think D40 is crap is because it hasn't got autofocus motor in the body. So what? It's in msot of Nikon's lenses now..
    • meh,don'tlikesigs

You said it yourself
    No autofocus motor in body
    Considering that its a entry level camera
    HSM in lenses means lots of money for lenses.

I dont like canon or nikon any more than each other, theres no bias.

And the nikon kit lens is crap
    As in olympus'
    The original canon 18-55 for digital cameras is pretty crap
    The new version though, is top notch
    The pentax 18-55 is one of the best kit lenses
    And I dont know about sony.