» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm just wondering, because every forum has a different take on this, and I want to know what this forum's is. What is considered a "rip" on CX? be detailed if you can

taking someone elses work and using it as your own, without permission

it depends on the person you ask. we dont ban people for ripping persay, but it ruins any chance of them becoming a staff member. mainly we think of ripping as copying some1's work and claiming it as ur own. some people think having a game render is ripping, but thats a little extreme in my opinion
    Original Climb-X Co-Founder

Well, I agree with the idea that using a game "render" is ripping. And I&#39;ll explain why here. I don&#39;t mean any offense to these forums or any members whatsoever when I say this, so please no angry replies I&#39;ve noticed that about almost all of the signatures here (ive only seen one that doesnt apply to this) and a few things in Other Art have images from google or whatever search engine that are photos, renders, vectors, etc. I made this thread asking what people here consider a "rip" because a rip is using something that wasn&#39;t made by you. I believe that all of the "renders" etc. used in signatures fall under that catagory correct? And I&#39;m almost positive (correct me if I&#39;m wrong and if I am, I commend you) that none of you have emailed whatever company made the game that the character in your signature came from to ask permission to use it. I realize that nobody is making a profit on these (although I&#39;ve seen a few people say they receive payment for their sigs and layouts/templates when the sig or banner of the layout contains these same images) but its still doesn&#39;t seem right to cut and paste in something you didnt make on top of a grunge background with brushes you downloaded (i know a few of you make your own brushes, that last part doesnt include you). Even if you forget the whole copyright thing, following basic logic, it doesnt make much sense to use a "render" etc. that you didnt make in a sig. A sig is short for signature. A signature in every other aspect of life is something you use to represent you. You use it to signify you authorized a purchase with a credit card etc. you get the idea. So using things in a sig that you didn&#39;t make is like signing "Greg" on a sales receipt when your name is "John" Thats my 2 cents on this topic again, I apologize if anybody here was offended, it wasn&#39;t the intent. My intent was only to enlighten some and to get a better understanding of the opinion of different members here. <3 :lol:

LMAO, I saw this coming from your first post. =p

I do agree for the most part but in the end I don&#39;t care. Yeah its ripping but oh well. I&#39;ve seen this fight over and over again..so I&#39;m going to back out slowly and see what comes of it.

yup sorry mate, you will prbly get banned, we already had one of these topics, and 1 of those guys is banned forever. But please, continue to try and convert people to stop using those renders, we will see who stops.

someone got banned for speaking their mind?

Originally posted by fade to black@Jun 25 2005, 04:33 PM
    someone got banned for speaking their mind?
    [snapback]48799[/snapback]
    no, someone got banned for flaming the shit out of everyone who uses a render they didn&#39;t make.

Originally posted by silenced@Jun 26 2005, 12:29 AM
    yup sorry mate, you will prbly get banned, we already had one of these topics, and 1 of those guys is banned forever.* But please, continue to try and convert people to stop using those renders, we will see who stops.
    [snapback]48798[/snapback]
    I&#39;m going to get banned? That doesn&#39;t seem very fair. Believe me, I have no intention of getting into a flame war with anybody. I&#39;m only giving my opinion based on what I&#39;ve seen from art forum to art forum. I&#39;m not trying to convert anybody either, I just enjoy helping people improve and seeing their progression. Thats why if you look any of my posts, you may find I seem blunt, but I give a lot of information about things to change. People can keep using the renders all they want, I cant do anything about it nor do I want to. More power to them. I just don&#39;t think that people can develop to their full potential using somebody else&#39;s work. I think that if somebody is forced to start from scratch, they get a lot more practice, learn how to make art and get a better feel for design in general. Again, I&#39;m only giving my opinion. Those of you that use the renders and like it that way, by all means keep on doing it If you want to be able to make those renders yourself however, my suggestion to you is to start from scratch

I do have a question for you, I&#39;m just kind of wondering for the most part. It seems like when people stop using stocks alot of them try to take on their own style..whats yours? I mean do you make abstract sigs or maybe more vector type works or do you do something a bit more original...I just haven&#39;t seen anything you&#39;ve done and I&#39;m kind of wondering. I know alot of people that have the same thoughts as you on the matter and they do alot of different styles..whats your work look like? =)