> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ads

I'm sorry to bring this up...but what's with the ads?

Is this a gfx community, or a money-making oportunity? I'm just wonder what other people think of it, and the reason why they were put in place here...Hehe, and people are worried about dA going corporate XD :P.

Personally I think they really scar up the forums and are generally unattractive. They really make this site look more like a company rather than just a gfx site. I'm also wondering if anyone has ever seen ads on another gfx site, this is really the only one that I go to so I'm sort of out of touch. Don't mention the site, just say if you've seen it before.

I know this is gonna be controversial, but it doesn't really make you look good imo, just makes it look like you are trying to make money...and hey if that's what you are going to do then w/e but....ya.

Opinions please, (don't ban me XD)

edit: just saw the new and updates section, and you're reason...still not sure if im a fan but w/e.

I was wondering who would be the first to bring this up.. and when.

the ads are to help keep the site going, it cost money to host a site with alot of users.

also yes, other graphics sites have ads. almost all with more then 3k users do. some do not but most do.

It does look ugly and makes the forums looks like crap.. but it keeps them online

THIS LINK HAS SOME INFO ABOUT THE ADS not a heck of a lot.. but from metal.

So in short... If ya don't want ads... Donate...

Their is a paypal for the stie right?

it's to get money and pay for the server

Why get rid of them? Wouldn't you make a small sacrifice of space to keep Climb-X in your life?

I got an idea!!

Don't look at 'em. Nothing is free, they just need some extra cash.

Originally posted by Scoopable@Aug 6 2005, 07:58 AM
    So in short... If ya don't want ads... Donate...

Their is a paypal for the stie right?
    [snapback]65930[/snapback]

Yep. But unfortunately the ads were put up because not many people have donated. But I believe you can all live with the ads.. (We are getting money for clicks, so by clicking you're basically donating, btw)

edit: By the way, I find the ads to be very useful (it's google after all) and relative. I often find myself clicking them and browsing their links, finding some good stuff over the net. So I think the ads make this site a little more useful.

Originally posted by Metal@Aug 6 2005, 04:36 PM

edit: By the way, I find the ads to be very useful (it's google after all) and relative. I often find myself clicking them and browsing their links, finding some good stuff over the net. So I think the ads make this site a little more useful.
    [snapback]66028[/snapback]

I agree.. Ive clicked them once or twice and found some neat stuff

I dont mind them, they are ugly too a point., but they are usefull in so meny ways.. help support CX and help the users support CX & help the users find new things.. also the search button on the forum.. now thats handy!!

if you dont want to see the ads, get firefox, get gresemonkey ( http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/ ) and install this script http://greasemonkeyed.com/scripts/show/675

Originally posted by torrent@Aug 7 2005, 10:29 AM
    if you dont want to see the ads, get firefox, get gresemonkey ( http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/ ) and install this script http://greasemonkeyed.com/scripts/show/675
    [snapback]66350[/snapback]
    The ads are to help the site financially and not to make anyone here suffer. We earn by people clicking the ads (as you know) and making them dissappear would be a little unthoughtful. That's only my opinion though.