» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Thread: The Hindenburg

Hey guys, I had to do a research paper on the Hindenburg, so I decided I would post it here too, along with some videos that weren't part of my research paper.

-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The Hindenburg

Close your eyes and think for a second, think of a football floating in the air, now make the football about 3,000 times bigger and about 1,000 feet up in the air. You should be thinking of a giant blimp, known as a zeppelin. The zeppelins name, is the Hindenburg.
    On May 3rd, 1937 the Hindenburg was on it’s way to the first of eight events in North America. On board the Hindenburg were thirty-six passengers and sixty-one crew members. Since the Hindenburg was delayed it did not reach the Lakehurst area, until late afternoon on May 6th, it was hours behind schedule.
    While the landing operation was going on, about 200 feet off the ground, the Hindenburg all of a sudden burst into a giant yellow flame, and was burned by a hydrogen fire near the stern of the zeppelin. The Hindenburg fell, while everything in it was burning and being eaten up by the flames. Out of ninety-seven people on board the Hindenburg, twelve passengers and thirty-seven crew members survived. The flames were put out as soon as possible by the Naval Air Station and several local fire departments, local doctors and rescue crews rushed to the area immediately, trying to save as many people as possible.
    A total of thirty-six people lost their lives, thirteen passengers, twenty-two crew members, and one member of the ground crew. The perfect safety records for Germany was shattered, by a horrendous terrifying tragedy, and the commercial airship would sadly, never recover.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

A Video and a Radio report of the actual disaster

Video

Radio Report

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Pictures of the Hindenburg

^scetch^

Posters

-octane
    Current Tag:

Are you a deviant?
    I am
    www.firetap.deviantart.com

wow that thing is huge do u know how many people died hopefully 0 but was there any also

what gas was in there hydo something like that :P

Hydrogen gas, if it had helium, it wouldn't have blown up.

Current Tag:

Are you a deviant?
    I am
    www.firetap.deviantart.com