> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My View on a Few Issues

Im going to be addressing a few issues in this article. The first of which is whoring/tutorials. Then I'll talk about 'inspiration'. Then I'll move on to the making your own resources argument.

Some people think that tutorials shouldn't be given out people that are new to GFX design whore the styles to a point where you only see one type of signiature everywhere. Perfect examples of whored styles are smudge style sigs, pixel-stretch sigs and pop-outs. Alias makes a lot of great tutorials but his tuts are always whored. He created the pixel-stretch style and made a tutorial on it. For a period of time after the tut all you would ever see was pixel-stretch. You still see the odd pixel-stretch around just now. The same thing happened with his soft grunge tutorial and it happened with a lot of his tuts. The more recent smudge-style of signature is seen all the time just now. I'm not actually sure who started this style because there are so many of them. it get annoying when you see the same style in every-one's signature. Only a few artists can now capture pure originality and trap it into a signature. Something that is overlooked as a whored style is grunge. Grunge is the most whored style of all as almost every single sig has some aspect of grunge in it. Most new and appealing styles get whored anyway but tutorials just help them on their way. I have mixed opinions on this. I think that good tutorials don't give you a step by step guide to making a sig. Good tuts should give you a technique that you can customise and create your own style with. I don' t think tutorials are good if you copy thme word for word and get a textbook reult. Thats what starts whoring. You need to make your own techniques and add them to techniques you have picked up to create your own style that no-one else uses. If every one did this there would be no whoring.

Another issue is 'inspiration'.People will make a signiature that looks almost exactly identical to someone elses and then taking all the credit and saying they were 'inspired' That is just wrong. Ripping = Stealing and that is stealing the idea which is as bad as ripping in my eyes.

Some artists think that if you are truly skilled you will use only resources you have made like your own brushes. I actually agree with this because it will make you a better artist.It will also ensure that people can't whore brushes you make if you don't release them to the public. At the moment I don't do that but I plan to start using only resources created by me which I hope will make me a better artist. A great example of an artist who only uses his own resources is flipn0tic. He is a great artist and he doesn't use anyone elses brushes. There are artists whose sigs look just as good as his but they used downloaded brushes. This makes Flip a better designer in my eyes.

Thank-you for reading this article. I may be writing more depending on what people think of this one.

~Silver

P.S. This took me a long time to write so it would be greatly appreciated if I could get some constructive feedback and critisicm.

I think that if someone does GFX for a long time now and is only making sigs, he is very limited. Start doing larger works, it gives you freedom for your mind.

not bad i disagree with the not tuts for noobs part tho how else would they learn

Originally posted by Metal@Sep 30 2005, 10:14 AM
    I think that if someone does GFX for a long time now and is only making sigs, he is very limited. Start doing larger works, it gives you freedom for your mind.
    [snapback]82686[/snapback]
    I do do larger works m8. The article was about sigs. I do a lot of large pieces now.

@Makaveli: I think of noobs just tried to mae their own style as son as they started and never looked at tuts they would be much much better designers

I kinda disagree on the part of the step by step for tutorials. I mean, they're here to help noobs, not for pros or something like that. It's just to help them out..hopefully, they learn some new techniques. That's how I learned, when I first started, I followed the tutorial step by step, exactly as it said, but as I improved, I only look at tutorials to check out any new techniques that I can learn..so maybe that's what they do now...

Anyway, I agree with your inspirations part..that is VERY true!! I also agree with the good artist part, but I'm not up to that stage yet..Can't do big works yet, though I'm working on it
    Very nice article there mate.

<3 Fuzzy

IMHO tutorials provide the stepping stone for noobs to start designing..

What does IMHO mean?

<3 Fuzzy

In my humble opinion..

Originally posted by Lumix@Sep 30 2005, 01:51 PM
    In my humble opinion..
    [snapback]82701[/snapback]

or in my honest opinion

or in my horrible opinion ^^

To stay ontopic, I think everyone has been a noob and they learned from tutorials. I still watch tutorials to see how other people make there work.

I really like this article. I explains most of my theories in a nutshell. I really like how you pointed out the fact that good tutorials are the ones that don&#39;t have the step by step, but have open ended parts so they can expirement and try things on their own. Also I like how you included about dl&#39;ed brushes and defaults. New designers need the brushes to learn the basics of depth, flow, and direction, and when they become comfortable with photoshop, they can switch to thier own resources and feel much better about their work. This might clear up some things for many people.