> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Thread: RAM

Well i killed my other PC a few month ago as most of you know

But the RAm etc. still works fine in it so im wondering is it possible to add my RAm from the other PC into my current one?

Ive heard that they have to match, for example only a 512 can mix with a 512?

I dont have much info on the other RAM apart from its 256mb and tis the old ram. NOT DDR or w/e.

Thanks.

when you say type isnt it like pc4200 and whatnot like the number of pins

"I find that on the internet, everyone is very tough in an anonymous, pussy kind of way" - Josh Homme

Download EVEREST (link below) to find out what kind of RAM your computer uses (PC####). My desktop PC uses PC2100 RAM, for example. I'm not sure if you need to have two of the same size sticks, but only certain types of RAM work with certain processors. If the RAM is the same type on both machines, then you should be able to transfer it over to your other computer with no issues.

EVEREST System Diagnostics Program

^^My entry for SOTW #52.

Well. you can mix differen't memory sizes. (ie. 512mb with a 256mb) however you can't use a SIMM (non-DDR) with a DDR stick, unless the motherboard supports both kinds... which is pretty rare. There's only a couple of manufactureres that make boards that support both anymore. most likely you'll only be able to use the DDR memory.
    Resident father figure.

Hmm i may try it, because i don't think this RAM is DDR

i mixed my ram numbers
    [Please insert sig here]

Some motherboards are picky about RAM sizes, but generally you should be okay with mixing different sized RAM modules. Type and speed is usually most important factor. Obviously, SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, etc, can only be mixed among the same type. Mixing DDR RAM can work with different size modules, as far as I know, and speed difference is also okay as long as the faster chip is backwards compatible to the lower speed. For example, if you take a 512 DDR400(PC3200) and 512 DDR266(PC2100) - they will work together as long as the DDR400 module is able to scale back to the DDR266 speeds and the motherboard does not have any special requirements regarding that.

GFXVoid.com Publisher & Network Admin