» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Sig]Turtles

A very quick turtles sig I couldn't resist making for fun:

I don't like how blurry it is or the BG, or the colours or all the negative space.. or pretty much anything about it, sorry.

Sigh.. fine myst be a child because I don't suck you off and tell you I think you're fantastic if I don't like what I see. If you can't stand the criticism then that's your problem, but like it or not that was my honest opinion of your work. If you wanna be an asshole about getting some honest crits, then I won't bother; it's no skin off my nose.

Thank you!

Blurry? How the hell is it blurry at all!?

I like how the turtle is over the logo

Sigh.. fine myst be a child because I don't suck you off and tell you I think you're fantastic if I don't like what I see. If you can't stand the criticism then that's your problem, but like it or not that was my honest opinion of your work. If you wanna be an asshole about getting some honest crits, then I won't bother; it's no skin off my nose.
    [/b]
    Im joking, settle down. This is the internet.

I take your criticism, I'm just pokin at you and you snapped. Didn't know people take things serious over the internet.

The background (all of it) is ugly. Its flat too. And the coloring of the sig is ewwww.
    Also take off the 'Jefster' text, its a pixel font and you used it wrongly.
    And the top right, I dont know why there is numbers there?
    The border too, I'd stick with a 1px black or something like that. A boring sig doesnt need a big, plain, boring border onto it.
    The render is also low quality and im just not a fan of the stock popping out the top kind of thing.
    The lighting is messed up too. The ninja turtle is lighter on the right, but the background is darker on the right...
    You can find some tutorials here at CX or somewhere else. I strongly suggest you use them.

Ps. You didnt use the correct recherche
    ------

Back ground was intentionally flat to seperate it from the foreground, otherwise you lose some of the 3D effect of the cut out. The style of the sig places the focus on the render. It's green cos well.. turtles are green, what can I say?

How exactly do you go about using a font wrongly? it's small, legible and matches the sig. In what sense do you mean it is wrong and how can I improve that?

The numbers are there because I put them there, why is anything anywhere? I don't think you should be trying so hard to make sense of a 15 minute sig. It's not meant to mean anything. I do get your point though, I could just as easily put something else there that would have fitted the turtle theme better.

I agree, boring sigs don't need any more than the 1 pixel border you have on your sig.

Yeah the render is a shot I took by pausing the promo movie and hitting out a print screen, thus the poor quality. You can see the cropped screen capture HERE It was a spur of the moment thing.. I just thought it would be fun to make. As for the popping out style, meh, sometimes I use it and sometimes I don't. It depends on what I think the composition of the sig should look like when I start it. I decided to do it for this one because I couldn't be bothered spending tons of time on the BG and the blending and this style usually looks better if you dont.

There is no lighting.. I just brushed it quickly with two colours and then burnt and dodged it a bit.. the BG wasn't intended to follow the lighting of the render at all. In total it took about a minute and a half.

Did you use those tuts you mention? If what you're wearing there is the result, I think I'll give them a miss thx. That's really not my style. FYI I have been making sigs for about 2 years on and off and in all that time I've used about 3 tuts. I don't do things that way unless I have to.

And what do you mean recherche?

recherche

Recherch'e \Re*cher`ch['e]"\, a. [F.] Sought out with care[/b]
    I didn't use the right search with care? What do you mean?

Well thx for all the crits, that's the most I've ever had for anything I've made.. kinda makes me wish I had posted something I had spent some time doing... I hope I get as indepth a response when I next post something I have put some effort into.

I lol'd.

Postcount +1 for you! Well done.

I lol'd too.
    But.. here's my backup statements.

Wow, first off, my signature is a cut from a large piece I made previously. It is just previewing and featuring what I have in my DeviantArt, hence the DevaintArt link in the signature.

The pixel font you used isnt meant to be blurry and stretched looking. Turn Anti-Aliasing (AA) to Off, and use a smaller font size, trust me. It'll look more like a pixel font. Just try it, you'll like the result much more and thank me later down the line.

And your coloring is way off. The type of green doesnt even match, and also you threw in a purple-ish red-ish color that I think is downright ugly. And you making "no lighting" then getting mad when I said the lighting is horrible. Just say "yeah I know" next time after. It'll make it much more simpler for the future.

Also, how would I know this is a 15-minute slap together signature if you didnt forewarn me. Next time include that in the description of the piece you are showing off. This way there is no confusion of how much effort you really put into it.

Talking about effort, thats what I meant by recherche. It pretty much means "putting effort into what you do". So by me saying the recherche was all wrong. I am saying that you put no effort into making the sig, therefore it is a signature lacking details and it is ugly.

And those numbers were slapped on there to make it have something else to look at other than a flat background. Speaking of which, try it with a more complex depth-filled background and see if you like it more before you assume a flat non-depth background will be better. The numbers should be filled up with something else. Maybe a symbol to show that Leonardo (the turtle) is the leader of the group.

Also, your experience of 2 years has nothing to do with anything here. If you are still making signatures and other arts like you just started, why try to pursuad me that you are better because you've been making crappy art (sorry but true) even after 2 years?

I have also been designing for 2+ years and yes, I believe that I am better than you at designing. And I still to this day follow tutorials to show me new techniques. Because if I didnt, I wouldnt expand my knowledge.

K thanks
    ------