» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So

Default So

I decided that forums dedicated specifically to the critique of forum signatures are a bit silly. 'Cause they're just tags.

And even if it was large art instead of sigs...
    It's still just art. And art should be appreciated.

Art isn't about improvement or technique, and it's not about style. Art is about feeling and appreciation. It's about joy and inspiration.

Trying to apply technique or format is bland and pointless. 'Cause it shouldn't be a process.

Oh yeah, btw, none of you have any idea what "composition" is... and if you did, then you wouldn't abbreviate it as "compo". People take classes on composition only to realize that it's really just a term for "bullshit". Composition can't be worked on because it's not a learning process -- it's not something that can be understood through a process of critical thinking. And if you enjoy art, then I don't think it's really important to know much about composition.

Anyway I'm sure that you all disagree with me, so go ahead and argue, but I won't be responding in this thread since I'm just giving my two cents. So fire away.

... With the exception of this stamp.

i was going to tear ur whole pathetic view of art apart, and educate you
    but i decided not to b/c its pointless
    "The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain,
    for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate
    the vigilant and the virtuous." - V

"Roll dat shyt, lite dat shyt, smoke it" - Method Man

My Girl

Quote Originally Posted by MethodMan View Post
    i was going to tear ur whole pathetic view of art apart, and educate you
    but i decided not to b/c its pointless

Lol, you know art?

Because that leads me to believe different.
    Under-processed C4d render, two poorly-vectored rap stars, random placement of textured soft-brush, pen-tool lines (probably copied from a tutorial), and a logo set on soft light. Wow, that's real art right there.

Btw, I suppose your sig would have been alright if you had decided to leave it with a 2d element, rather than adding in unnecessary brushing. Way to go "compo" man.

P.S:

I hate you.

Do it right and save me the felony.

Sure, if it makes you happy, fine, but that doesn't mean it's good. You could take a turd and call it art. I agree with you on the whole signature idea is silly - but to claim that critique on large art is 'silly'? That's just ignorant dribble. Take the worlds best illustrators, concept artists, fine artists - do you think they got there by stagnating and going 'oh, everybody else says its terrible but I had fun making it, so I'll just make it again and again'. Improvement requires feedback - and that is a FACT which applies to every activity, from sport to art.

You remind of the people who take musical instruments but refuse to learn any theory - it's just retarded. If you plan on improving, you're going to have to learn the theory anyway, whether its from internal or external feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Einsturzende View Post
    Oh yeah, btw, none of you have any idea what "composition" is... and if you did, then you wouldn't abbreviate it as "compo". People take classes on composition only to realize that it's really just a term for "bullshit". Composition can't be worked on because it's not a learning process -- it's not something that can be understood through a process of critical thinking. And if you enjoy art, then I don't think it's really important to know much about composition.
    You obviously don't have any training or aspirations in art (and no, 'graphic design' doesn't count as art). The biggest professionals in the industry use it and love it, there are many aspects of composition that help make your piece more aesthetically pleasing - which, is the main part of art. Sure, it's not what signature artists usually refer to as composition (don't put it in the middle), but even that is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spluff View Post
    Sure, if it makes you happy, fine, but that doesn't mean it's good. You could take a turd and call it art. I agree with you on the whole signature idea is silly - but to claim that critique on large art is 'silly'? That's just ignorant dribble. Take the worlds best illustrators, concept artists, fine artists - do you think they got there by stagnating and going 'oh, everybody else says its terrible but I had fun making it, so I'll just make it again and again'. Improvement requires feedback - and that is a FACT which applies to every activity, from sport to art.

You remind of the people who take musical instruments but refuse to learn any theory - it's just retarded. If you plan on improving, you're going to have to learn the theory anyway, whether its from internal or external feedback.

You obviously don't have any training or aspirations in art (and no, 'graphic design' doesn't count as art). The biggest professionals in the industry use it and love it, there are many aspects of composition that help make your piece more aesthetically pleasing - which, is the main part of art. Sure, it's not what signature artists usually refer to as composition (don't put it in the middle), but even that is better than nothing.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but what I'm implying (although pretty poorly, on my part) is that appreciation should come before critique.

I'm saying that art shouldn't be competitively fought like a sport, nor should it have critical thinking applied to it. Things should be felt naturally. (I know this statement seems contradictory in comparison to my previous reply to MethodMan, but that guy's been bugging me and I felt like giving him my perspective on his attitude.)

What you say is pretty much true, though. My post is aimed at a differently group of people... There are some people/designers out there that like to maliciously compete in art, which aggravates me (see nationalsigleague.com).

Also, I would say that graphic design can be an art.
    "A painter does not paint with his hands, but with his minds."

I agree with you to a certain extent, but what I'm implying (although pretty poorly, on my part) is that appreciation should come before critique.

I'm saying that art shouldn't be competitively fought like a sport, nor should it have critical thinking applied to it. Things should be felt naturally. (I know this statement seems contradictory in comparison to my previous reply to MethodMan, but that guy's been bugging me and I felt like giving him my perspective on his attitude.)

What you say is pretty much true, though. My post is aimed at a differently group of people... There are some people/designers out there that like to maliciously compete in art, which aggravates me (see nationalsigleague.com).

Also, I would say that graphic design can be an art.
    "A painter does not paint with his hands, but with his minds."
    It seems we're thinking on the same wavelength after all.

Also, yes graphic design can be art, that is true. But it's a big step away the schools that lean towards fine art, and the principals are very different, and tend to lend themselves nicely to the multitudes of talentless hacks that thrive in the industry.

Lol you should know by now that we all hate nsl :P

(sure we have a sotw here, but thats a bit of fun and nothing more).

Death from above!

(: PPPPINK!!!!!

-cuddles with my "Art Tags"-

Yeah NSL is pretty much a mockery of what art is supposed to be. It takes away the aspect of the designers creativity because he/she is no longer creating it for an artistic purpose but rather attempting to make the signature which appeals to the majority which is not what art is about as you need only look at many of the great artists whom pieces were constantly hated upon by the people of that time but are now revered as masterpieces. But I have to agree with Spluff on the importance of composition to a piece as he stated it can make or break a piece by simply making it more "aesthetically pleasing". Either way I see where you are coming from but you have to remember signatures most of the time not always are done for fun they are not meant to be masterpieces but nonetheless they are art and critique can always be applied for that reason alone. I guess that concludes my rant none of it probably makes any sense but oh well I am not to good at expressing thoughts heh.