> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: proverbs

post here your favorite proverbs OR a few proverbs that you invented yourself, see how lame this gets....

mine is :

1.sleep sleep sleep and you will never worry about being called a bee (by thomas hendrickson, 1978)

2. You are as evil as a mosquito as i am as evil as a mosquito repellent. (Jamie hurst, 1979)

Optional activity: one of these are real and one of them are fake. Which one of these are real and which is fake.

"Rely not on the teacher/person, but on the teaching. Rely not on the words of the teaching, but on the
    spirit of the words. Rely not on theory, but on experience.Do not believe in anything simply because you
    have heard it. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. Do
    not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is
    written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and
    elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is
    conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

-Siddharth Guatama (The Buddha)

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

-Douglas Adams ( The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy )

The entire hithchikers series is quoatable.
    Resident father figure.

You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the diet coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough.

Dr. Evil

Alea Acta Iest............. Julius Ceasar

wow, thanks for the replies... and unit number... speechless... with a amazed experession.

np m8

Originally posted by sceptileex@Apr 20 2005, 09:34 AM
    wow, thanks for the replies... and unit number... speechless... with a amazed experession.
    [snapback]39211[/snapback]
    About the Buddha one? That's called the Kalama Sutra, pure genious. It's a shinning example of why I read so much from Budhhism.
    Resident father figure.

"live, love, burn, die"
    --Atreyu

yea thats right im a screamo hardcore kid. no time for wisdom in these times
    If you want help...
    Screw you
    If you make sigs...
    Screw you

/me slides Illegal a Stereolab CD.

shhh shhh, quiet now.
    Resident father figure.

Quotes from the Disk World novels by Terry Pratchett (sorta a modern version of Dougless Adams, who is famous for Hitch Hikers Guide to te Galaxy):

Everything starts somewhere, although many physicists disagree.

There was no doubt that whoever had shut [the door] wanted it to stay shut. Dozens of nails secured it to the door frame. Planks had been nailed right across. And finally it had, up until this morning, been hidden by a bookcase that had been put in front of it.

"And there's the sign, Ridcully," said the Dean. "You have read it, I assume. You know? The sign which says 'Do not, under any circumstances, open this door'?"

"Of course I've read it," said Ridcully. "Why d'yer think I want it opened?"

The members of the Guild of Assassins considered themselves cultured men who enjoyed good music and food and literature. And they knew the value of human life. To a penny, in many cases.

"Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs."

She'd become a governess. It was one of the few jobs a known lady could do. And she'd taken to it well. She'd sworn that if she did indeed ever find herself dancing on rooftops with chimney sweeps she'd beat herself to death with her own umbrella.

"This one's mental."

"Eccentric."

"What's the difference?"

"A bag of cash."

This is very similar to the suggestion put forward by the Quirmian philosopher Ventre, who said, "Possibly the gods exist, and possibly they do not. So why not believe in them in any case? If it's all true you'll go to a lovely place when you die, and if it isn't then you've lost nothing, right?" When he died he woke up in a circle of gods holding nasty-looking sticks and one of them said, "We're going to show you what we think of Mr. Clever Dick in these parts..."

The late (or at least severely delayed) Bergholt Stuttley Johnson was generally recognized as the worst inventor in the world, yet in a very specialized sense. Merely bad inventors made things that failed to operate. He wasn't among these small fry. ... Everything he built worked. It just didn't do what it said on the box. If you wanted a small ground-to-air missile, you asked Johnson to design an ornamental fountain.

Many people are aware of the Weak and Strong Anthropic Principles. The Weak One says, basically, that it was jolly amazing of the universe to be constructed in such a way that humans could evolve to a point where they make a living in, for example, universities, while the Strong One says that, on the contrary, the whole point of the universe was that humans should not only work in universities but also write for huge sums books with words like "Cosmic" and "Chaos" in the titles.

"That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?"

damn i gotta stop..i just love Terry Pratchett's books.