» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up

I have this dilemma.
    I got latest FireFox with everything good on it but it's slow on my computer and it likes to crash very frequently.
    Internet Explorer is now defended with all sorts of updates, softwares against viruses and spyware, (SP2, Anti Spyware, Spyware Doctor, etc.) and IE is faster and personally I think it's better. But should I take the risk that any momemt my browser could be highjacked by some idiot, moronish "web search bar"?

Although I pretty much don't go to untrusted sites. Just the usuals: GFXVoid, RaceSim Central, deviantART, webcomics.

So what do you suggest?

I would suggest you stick with IE. as long as you dont go to mp3, p0rn and similar sites you should be fine. I have used IE for an extreamly long time and never got hijacked (before I switched to Firefox), its all a mater of the sites you go to.

As for firefox crashing and slow performance, well firefox is pretty stable on the various systems i run it on, I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version. As for performance, well thats a known issue and is a common complaint. Firefox can realy slow things down. If you find performance having a detrimental affect, then your better off with IE.

Originally posted by MetalSkin@Apr 27 2005, 11:47 PM
    I would suggest you stick with IE.* as long as you dont go to mp3, p0rn and similar sites you should be fine.* I have used IE for an extreamly long time and never got hijacked (before I switched to Firefox), its all a mater of the sites you go to.

As for firefox crashing and slow performance, well firefox is pretty stable on the various systems i run it on, I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version.* As for performance, well thats a known issue and is a common complaint.* Firefox can realy slow things down.* If you find performance having a detrimental affect, then your better off with IE.
    [snapback]43384[/snapback]
    Yeah, If you like the pr0n go with firefox. Mine was crashing every 5 minutes almost, and after I installed Sp2 and updates it runs fine now.

It all depends, would you like a crappy engine? Or something as cool as the gecko one. It's all your choice...

well actualy the IE engine isn't realy crappy. performance wise IE outbeats firefox. Firefox is well accepted though cause its supports RSS, has muti tabs, is skinable, has a nice plugin environment and appears to be more secure than IE.

Note that firefox is relativly new, only has a small market share and as yet hasn't realy been targeted by script kiddies and of similar ilk. several security holes have already been found and I know that quite a few more will be found over time. i have already seen some sites that have got around the popup blocker built into firefox.

Actually, I don't really care which one, all that matters is browsing the great internet.

I use firefox. It's faster then ie (for me). Also it has better sercurity, along with nice features. I'm a frim supporter of firefox. I beileve when firefox becomes more introduced and developed, it will become alot better.

I really never heard of FireFox slowing down a computer. If anything, it may have been an unrelated issue that happened around the same time you downloaded firefox.

Firefox is known to have performance issues. slashdot is a good source for opinions on that, but generaly its because of the multi tabbed panes being used, i suspect some problems in that area, cause only when using those a lot do i get the performance issues.

I should clarify, its not realy a performance problem, its a memory issue, firefox tends to use mega memory. on my 1gig machine, not realy a problem, but with 512 you get more swap space usage which has a detremental affect across the board. Very noticable if you have a few large programs open.

With ie, as its part if explorer, it doesn't have the same issue (you have it half loaded already). though explorer crashing has a bigger impact than firefox crashing.

Originally posted by MetalSkin@May 2 2005, 10:16 AM
    Firefox is known to have performance issues.* slashdot is a good source for opinions on that, but generaly its because of the multi tabbed panes being used, i suspect some problems in that area, cause only when using those a lot do i get the performance issues.

I should clarify, its not realy a performance problem, its a memory issue, firefox tends to use mega memory. on my 1gig machine, not realy a problem, but with 512 you get more swap space usage which has a detremental affect across the board.* Very noticable if you have a few large programs open.

With ie, as its part if explorer, it doesn't have the same issue (you have it half loaded already).* though explorer crashing has a bigger impact than firefox crashing.
    [snapback]45103[/snapback]
    ^
    |
    |

I agree ^_^.