» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Sig.

Default My First Sig.

This is my first sig. I didnt use any tuts i just messed about. Its not that good but I like it

CnC
    Last edited by IiTz ShAnE; 04-10-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Hmm. Not bad. However it needs some refining. This is a tough render to use because it ia a 3d render it's kinda tough to blend in.

The yellow glow think is a bid distracting and it doesnt rly blend into the BG. I like the BG good use of c4d's. Buti think they dont go with your render choice. I'd drop the render and that yellow thing and sue a different sotck.

Also your text it's okay but try and stay away from blending options they make it unable to blend in easily making it a bit too obvious to look great. i suggest you read my text tutorial. it's in the text basics area. I think it'll help you a lot learn the basics of text and what to use. the mso timportant thing to remember is when you don't know text, use default fonts! they will work better 99% of the time than any other font. Which is whhy this is good cause you use a default font.

c4ds look good though and text looks decent. Just bring in a different stock.
    Maybe try reading a few tutorials they might help you learn a few new techniques.

My DevART
    RATCHET is my bitch
    Andrew says:
    u ever stolen a bible?
    Apathy says:
    no
    used the last two pages to roll a joint though
    Andrew says:
    wow
    thats fucking hard core
    ^^HAHAHA, dm sucks XD

Thanks mate.. I was just seeing what i could manage lol

I like the render you chose, it's a good high quality render which you have well positioned in the signature (y).

The background as the last person said makes nice use of C4D however it isn't very fitting with the render, you need to consider colours, the blues and dark blacks just don't suit the image at all - perhaps consider some earthy colours to fit with the image
    Again the glow thing is kinda distracting, I'd imagine your background to be more fitting to a space age render... not the sniper from COD4. Avoid using a glow effec on the render too because it looks rather tacky, don't worry about the render not always being a major stand out focal point, I like seeing sigs that all fit and work together in harmony.

Text is an issue, it's slighty small, not well well place and the text effects don't help. You should experiment with methods of making the text stand out other than text effects. Once you manage to get a background that suits your render this will be easier because at the moment too much is contrasting, it should fit easier once you have most things working together in the sig... if that makes sense.

I'd recommend getting yourself some brushes, make yourself a background with some neutral greens, browns and such (use eye drop / pipette tool on your render for good colour suggestions) and mess around. You can use a C4D to add some lighting to your signature then download a few fonts and mess around with those. See which works best then mess around with sizes of text, placement too.

Another tip - I always find that when text is used on a sig.. even if your handle is something like iTz ShAnE. It will always look better written on a sig as Itz Shane or ITZ SHANE or itz shane... simple because of consistancy. Eye for detail is important and the text looks kinda messy because of the cap lower cap lower cap lower... I hope that once again makes sense.

For a first sig it's rather impressive though by all means. I've seen far worse experienced sig makers in my time. You are using a number of effects nicely, try different things and you seem to have render placement down to a pickle quite nicely.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the info Kanariya. I will have another go at this

Have a mess with the same sig and keep us updated.

Try a few examples with different things, post em all up and i'll do my best to tell you which one works best and what works best with what.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    the most important thing to remember is when you don't know text, use default fonts! they will work better 99% of the time than any other font. Which is whhy this is good cause you use a default font.
    I agree with this, to a fault. I do agree that the default fonts (arial, tahoma, myriad, etc) work well in most cases, but it's mostly because they aren't cluttered with fancy curves or useless ligatures. I don't think it hurts anything to be creative and find a sweet spot when it comes to fonts. One font, certainly, does not suit every piece of work. But if you decide to use typo, do some research. There are thousands upon thousands (of millions) of fonts out there to choose from. Personally I like OTF fonts because of the glyph selection, but you can do what you like. I would definitely suggest typography books to anyone working with art, specifically because it can be such a big part of graphic design.

Just keep in mind that if you intend to make typography part of the piece, that you spend some time on it. Typo shouldn't just be slapped on, it needs to be thought out and actually incorporated. Typography in itself, shouldn't ALWAYS be needed.

The one thing I think will help you the most, is to follow some color theory. If you use PS CS4, it comes with an extension called "Kuler" that will do your work for you. All you do is input a hex and it gives you all kinds of color modes with which to build a palette. Having a good foundation in color theory will help any and all design work you do. I duly suggest you check out some of the color theory sites out there, and maybe get a book or two.

And the last bit of advice, even if it doesn't apply to you...Don't use stocks or renders just because you feel like you have to. Signatures shouldn't be good just because the stock is good. Otherwise what is the point of signatures?

Keep it up man.

Thanks for the info Solaris.

I have added another. CnC ?

Ok, both the background and font are now better, but could still use some tweaking.

Revert back to how the render was before because I feel the effect you have placed on it kinda draws away from the detail that is on it and ruins it. Make the background perhaps more slodgy, earthy... grassy... kinda like a camo? See if that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanariya View Post
    Make the background perhaps more slodgy, earthy... grassy... kinda like a camo?
    Any ideas on how I would do that?