> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Thread: Link Sig

Default Link Sig

Ok this is my second Sig ever and I just messed around with for a while to make it lol

Go easy on me as Im still very new to this

I don't think the Border is working really well with the image. There are many other styles of borders that will complement this sig in a better way then the blur.
    You also haven't blended Link into the sig enough. He is just sort of sitting there and stationary. To do this, you can use a variety of different techniques, like filters, smudging, brushes, clipping masks, etc.
    The Text in the corner could be placed in a better position. Alot of new people place the text here because they may not be sure what to do with it. By placing it closer to the character and more in the centre of the sig, you are creating a focal area in which the viewer can look at. At the moment, my eyes are travelling back and forward between Link and the text.

If you want to learn some more skills, check out the Signature Tutorials section: [Link]

Yea I tried tutorials and I always seem to mess it up then just give up

Or I'll come across something I dont understand then I'll leave it (for instance I have no idea what a clipping mask is)

Yeah first thing i notice is the soft white border. I dont like borders like this because it is basically useless and used as a filler. Borders are used to keep the signature seperate from the forum. When the border is transparent like that you still have the signature spilling out over the forum and such. So renders it useless, IMO if you stick with a solid white or black border then your fine. Even no border is fine. but for now stick with those until you get your bearings more.

Next thing i notice is link. good placement! it's obvious you have a nice understand of the basic principles of art and design: the rule fo thirds. keep up the good composition it makes for a very interesting signature.

Secondly the BG. Grunge brushes while they are an effective way to make a BG they are a very oldschool style. Very oldschool. IMO next signature stray away fromt he grunge brushes and try soemthing like smudging. Smudging is a timeless art and always can look good and be creative. Daemon ahs some good tutorials on it in the signature tuts area.

Finally text: work on your text a bit. IMO you should read this tut. Will help you with your text a lot.
    Text basics

Overall keep it up. With some more work you can be a great great artist.

My DevART
    RATCHET is my bitch
    Andrew says:
    u ever stolen a bible?
    Apathy says:
    no
    used the last two pages to roll a joint though
    Andrew says:
    wow
    thats fucking hard core
    ^^HAHAHA, dm sucks XD

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter View Post
    What program are you using?
    PS Cs3

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Yeah first thing i notice is the soft white border. I dont like borders like this because it is basically useless and used as a filler. Borders are used to keep the signature seperate from the forum. When the border is transparent like that you still have the signature spilling out over the forum and such. So renders it useless, IMO if you stick with a solid white or black border then your fine. Even no border is fine. but for now stick with those until you get your bearings more.

Next thing i notice is link. good placement! it's obvious you have a nice understand of the basic principles of art and design: the rule fo thirds. keep up the good composition it makes for a very interesting signature.

Secondly the BG. Grunge brushes while they are an effective way to make a BG they are a very oldschool style. Very oldschool. IMO next signature stray away fromt he grunge brushes and try soemthing like smudging. Smudging is a timeless art and always can look good and be creative. Daemon ahs some good tutorials on it in the signature tuts area.

Finally text: work on your text a bit. IMO you should read this tut. Will help you with your text a lot.
    Text basics

Overall keep it up. With some more work you can be a great great artist.
    Checked out the text tutorial and I will try to use something like that in future

As for smudging, I dont know how

When I read a tutorial I seem to find something on the lines of "take out your smudging brush" when Im not even sure I have a smudging brush

Quote Originally Posted by IshTing View Post

When I read a tutorial I seem to find something on the lines of "take out your smudging brush" when Im not even sure I have a smudging brush

Okay see where the arrow is pointing in your tools pallete? That hand with the finger is the smudge brush. If that isnt there on your tools pallete click the box that is normally in that spot and hold down then a box should appear and you should see that hand. thats the smudge tool.

Now smudging isnt too hard. Basically you grad a chalk brush (it's default so you have it) i like the 36 px chalk brush.

lol not the highlighted one. but that one works too.

Then just grab an image of some sort and start smudging. IN your brush options pallette if you have "scatter" on it helps a lot with smudging.

Another way to smudge is with a round 0% hardness brush. but thats a bit more exacting and can eb a bti tougher.

My DevART
    RATCHET is my bitch
    Andrew says:
    u ever stolen a bible?
    Apathy says:
    no
    used the last two pages to roll a joint though
    Andrew says:
    wow
    thats fucking hard core
    ^^HAHAHA, dm sucks XD