> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

G'day guys,

The blokes who currently host my domain (web and email) are terrible. So I have decided that I need a new one.

Problem is that I don't want one that is known to be spammer friendly, causes too much trouble with antispam lists when emailing certain businesses.

Any ideas? I don't use that much bandwidth, but I want PHP and MySQL support. I also would like a web based admin tool to manage the email accounts and so forth.

Any ideas anyone?

Oh, bonus for a hosting company that will do DNS as well.

Well my website is currently using Amx Host i never get any spam at all. Yes they support dns, really great support too.

when i mentioned spam, i dont mean receiving. Some hosting companies are known to be spammer friendly. They will allow spammers to use their service and are very recalcitrant when it comes to shutting down the service to a known spammer.

When this happens, other sites hosted in the same ip address range (ie. by the same hosting company) get listed on anti-spam listing services. These are services that some very large companies use to help prevent their internal networks getting flooded with spam. The end result is that ligitimate emails may get lost.

However I'll have a gander at Amx Host.

do they give ftp access and alow you to have your own mysql db? [edit] looks like they give you a phpBB forum and shopping cart, but doesn't mention anywhere about a mysql db... [/edit]

[yet another edit]

I don't realy read good enough, they do support mySql, my mistake.

[/yet another edit]

hmmm seem to be very good, cept their business plans aint cheep when converted to AUD No mention of mysql... though i think i will keep them in mind as their packages aint to bad...

do you host as personal or business Relentless?

[edit]
    ahh, their gold plus business plan has mysql and phpmyadmin, nice. but its $19.95 a month USD thats around umm.. ~300+ AUD a year. Shame they use 7.2 RedHat, but at least its stable.
    [/edit]

They probably WILL offer databases, because without the databases, the hosting is useless. (my opinion)

when i mentioned spam, i dont mean receiving. Some hosting companies are known to be spammer friendly. They will allow spammers to use their service and are very recalcitrant when it comes to shutting down the service to a known spammer.

When this happens, other sites hosted in the same ip address range (ie. by the same hosting company) get listed on anti-spam listing services. These are services that some very large companies use to help prevent their internal networks getting flooded with spam. The end result is that ligitimate emails may get lost.

However I'll have a gander at Amx Host.

do they give ftp access and alow you to have your own mysql db? [edit] looks like they give you a phpBB forum and shopping cart, but doesn't mention anywhere about a mysql db... [/edit]

[yet another edit]

I don't realy read good enough, they do support mySql, my mistake.

[/yet another edit]

Yes amx allows you to use unlimited MySQL databases. A phpbb board, invision board, unlimited email accounts,php4, Perl 5.x,CGI, TCL,unlimited domain pointer, and unlimited sub domains.

Check out all the stuff they have here

Yeah tecken, i saw that after i did the post, hence my edit. Seems like I'm leaning towards them, their prices are good for the services you get.

What's their speed like? Also I can't see any of these sites saying what happens when you go over their bandwidth limits, do they charge a per meg fee or do they packet shape or what?

Oh, I did a search and found they're known for being very anti-spam, which is good. they're not on any spam lists

The speeds are quite nice, allso ive seen the admin be nice several times and give extra bandwidth for free to people that went over there limit if you ask them.

www.dreamhost.com rocks the socks.