» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Thread: System Restore

Hey I just have a quick question in regards to System Restore.

If I did a System Restore on my computer would it retrieve files that were in my recycle bin that are now currently deleted or removed?

I would think so because I thought it restores all previous settings and files, but I could be wrong.

Anyone know?

depends on how you did the backup.

If your talking about the System Restore utility then no, it only restores things like your registry settings. It uses restore points to restore your systems settings back to a known point. normaly these sytem backups are done automaticaly at times like installing new software.

If you did a backup via the backup/restore utility then it depends what you backed up. from memory the recycle bin is a hidden system directory from your c drive, so if you did a full hd backup, then the state of the recycle bin will be restored. if you backed up the locatoin from where the delated files came from, then restoring will restore them.

If your looking to recover deleted files, there are a wealth of utilities that will do that for you.

Ok if there is a wealth of utilities to help me, can you please assist me in this.

All I need is one file, how do I retrieve it? What do I have to do on my pc to accomplish this?

Please list steps if you can.

Thank you

Invision

okay, normaly i would go to download.com, but lately they only have shareware/limitedware. advanced search lets you find ones that have a free license.

try
    http://www.download.com/eData-Unerase-Pers...tml?tag=lst-0-4
    http://www.download.com/Deleted-File-Analy...tml?tag=lst-0-5

read the reviews and then decide which one to use. sometimes it doesn't hurt to google the name of the company or program to make sure its not reported as a trogan or addware software.

The one made by Octane will work. The other one doesn't work.

The only problem with the Octane one, is that it Images or Pictures can only be retrieved with the Professional Version. That costs 32 bucks, and I only need one jpeg or psd(?? can't remember the file format). It isn't worth 30 bucks to retrieve the graphic.

Maybe I can check with someone and see if they can pull it off Bitorrent, a crack version or something. Or a registration code. I don't condone stealing, but 30 dollars for one file is ridiculous.

hmmm its because of the flash media market. lots of people who have cameras and get damaged cards but want to retreive their photos. Used to be once you coudl get undelete programs for free, and they were everywhere.

I needed one to recover a damaged flash card, ended up paying the 20 bucks because i needed the photos... but that was about 60 photos i was trying to recover.

Maybe try tucows, they may have something, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Originally posted by MetalSkin@May 8 2005, 07:50 PM
    Maybe try tucows, they may have something, but i wouldn't hold my breath.
    [snapback]48227[/snapback]

Dunno what "tucows" is.

http://www.tucows.com/filerecovery95_default.html

tucows used to be a brillant file repositry. dont use it as much as i used to.