» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rodo commission

Default rodo commission

I was contacted to do two paintings for a girls birthday birthday, one was of the girl, the other I'm still working on.

http://coreygallagher.deviantart.com...sion-139617709

Actual size (2400x3000):
    http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs50/f/20...yGallagher.png

holy asdl;kfja thats amazing o.o i think her hair looks weird, but i'm pretty sure thats just the way she parts it, and her arm looks a little out of place, but holy crap that is an amazing piece of artwork there

her facial proportions are off. eyes look a bit weird and so does the nose at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by gr4ph1kP4ND4 View Post
    holy asdl;kfja thats amazing o.o i think her hair looks weird, but i'm pretty sure thats just the way she parts it, and her arm looks a little out of place, but holy crap that is an amazing piece of artwork there
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by (-)Ion View Post
    her facial proportions are off. eyes look a bit weird and so does the nose at the bottom
    You don't know what the person looks like therefore telling me her facial features are off carries little to no weight. I take constructive criticism when that criticism fits the situation.

then post the original. either way if you're doing a painting of someone, generally you'd fix imperfections of the face to make it look good. i'm just telling you what you need to improve on. take the criticism or leave it. i could care less. you'd improve though if you took it.

What you're telling me is that I should fix all proportional imperfections if I'm going to paint someone? That's incorrect, there aren't set proportions in which everyone should go by nor do I necessarily need to fix imperfections if I feel the need not to. Imperfections are what differentiates people and by fixing these would only limit a persons individuality as well as an artists stylization.

I'm not trying to sound cocky or a know it all or like I can't take criticism, but you have to take the painting into account when you're attempting to critique it.
    Last edited by Gallagher; 10-08-2009 at 06:44 PM.

frankly, if you're going to paint a portrait you have to have the basic facial proportions right. if you're any kind of artist you know faces have certain general proportions that this just isn't satisfying right now. there is "artist stylization" and there is portrait painting. they are two different things. right now you're right, she looks stylized because her features are not how they are on her actual face. however if you want to paint a portrait you have to paint the correct proportions. her eyes, nose, and shadows of the face are off in this. i jumped the gun when i talked about fixing imperfections. that comes after you get the basic proportions of the face right.

jeeeeeeze ok ion, gallagher is kinda right, you dont know what that person looks like
    gallagher, he's just trying to help by giving some constructive criticism...

and end fight

unless she actually has some slight facial deformations it doesn't really matter that I don't know what she actually looks like. the proportions are off. plus the general point of a portrait is to capture how the person looks. saying "you don't know what she looks like so don't say anything bad" when someone critiques a portrait that you painted of someone is kind of ridiculous dont you think?

frankly, if you're going to paint a portrait you have to have the basic facial proportions right. if you're any kind of artist you know faces have certain general proportions that this just isn't satisfying right now. there is "artist stylization" and there is portrait painting. they are two different things. right now you're right, she looks stylized because her features are not how they are on her actual face. however if you want to paint a portrait you have to paint the correct proportions. her eyes, nose, and shadows of the face are off in this. i jumped the gun when i talked about fixing imperfections. that comes after you get the basic proportions of the face right.
    Tell me where the proportions are so incorrect that you felt the need to start this whole debacle? The general proportions are just fine. You made an idiotic remark and instead of just admitting your stupidity you're trying to discredit me as an artist to strengthen your argument. Artist stylization has to do with everything that artist creates, you don't just miraculously turn it off.
    How do you know that her facial features don't look like they do on her actual face? That's how this whole argument was started, you have no idea what she looks like.

I had to use both images, one more so then the other obviously, but the upper right images of her face show that her facial features are in fact similar. Yes, these are the actual images I had to use as ref, lq.

saying "you don't know what she looks like so don't say anything bad" when someone critiques a portrait that you painted of someone is kind of ridiculous dont you think?
    I wasn't saying that. I didn't have a problem that you thought her eye looked weird because that would be my mistake, but facial proportions are not something you can critique without knowing what the person looks like.
    Last edited by Gallagher; 10-08-2009 at 09:42 PM.