Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Default The man who made a 600km Wrong turn

Wrong turn sends elderly man 600km off course into Victoria

• Elderly man goes off course 600km
    • Police suspect he took wrong turn
    • Didn't stop "because I just like to drive"

VICTORIAN police have helped an elderly NSW man find his way home after an epic nine-hour road trip that took him more than 600km off course and far into the wrong state.
    The 80-year-old identified as Eric, from Pambula, near Merimbula on the NSW south coast, set off from a friend's house at Yass, on the Hume Highway southwest of Sydney, about 7.15am on Monday for the 613km trip home.

Police believe Eric took a wrong turn and stayed on the Hume Highway, taking him across the Victorian border at Albury-Wodonga and on towards Melbourne.

Constable Tom Windlow and Leading Senior Constable Clayton Smith of the police drug and alcohol section found Eric when they pulled into a roadhouse on the Princes Freeway at Lara, near Geelong, about 3.45pm (AEDT).

Eric was 630km west of Pambula, and 654km away from Yass, when his adventure ended.

"I was stretching my legs, waiting for Tom to come back to the car when this little old man came up to me saying he was lost," Sen Const Smith said.

"He handed me his mobile and asked if I could speak to his wife."

The man's wife was frantic with worry, telling police he had been on the road for nine hours.

"Believe me, we never expected for her to say he had driven from Yass," Sen Const Smith said.

The members took Eric to Sunshine police station to meet family friends, who drove from Mount Eliza to meet him.

"He was such nice gentleman, full of stories and very grateful for our help," Sen Const Smith said.

"Although we had to laugh. When we asked him why he hadn't stopped earlier he replied, "I just like to drive."

Eric, who suffers slight dementia, and his wife were reunited this afternoon, police said.

Source: Wrong turn sends elderly man 600km off course into Victoria | National News | News.com.au
    Like Whut?

Haha, I hope I'm that awesome when I'm 80.

Seriously though, how can someone drive for nine hours and not realize they're going the wrong way and or it's talking way to long to get to their destination? Haha. Guess that's dementia for you.

I saw an old man driving the wrong way down an exit ramp onto the highway once, lol. Old people should have their licenses automatically revoked after a certain age, like 65 or so.

well atleast it sounds like he had fun :P