> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Operation Northwoods

An editorial piece I have done for my History Magazine. Full wallpaper sized (except the centrefold version).

Download.

Is there any specific reason why the text placement is interrupted by whitespace? It seems like there should be photos to account for the displacement, but without it seems sort of awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    Is there any specific reason why the text placement is interrupted by whitespace? It seems like there should be photos to account for the displacement, but without it seems sort of awkward.
    No reason. Other than I enjoy breaking the rules of editorial design in abstract style. You'll find much editorial design in the 'design world' does this. Fanzine magazine does it quite a a lot. And it's not whitespace, it's Negative Space, which is an important aspect of any design because it helps draw attention to the positive space.

though i would agree, some sort of photos into the negative space look better,
    Fur's Gift BOOOO EVERYONE

Apathy and i talk shit about everything.
    Kritez you have unyil yomottoe
    KidBuu is that latin?
    Kritez yes

[DeviantART] [GrayMoon Studios]

Quote Originally Posted by Soap View Post
    No reason. Other than I enjoy breaking the rules of editorial design in abstract style. You'll find much editorial design in the 'design world' does this. Fanzine magazine does it quite a a lot. And it's not whitespace, it's Negative Space, which is an important aspect of any design because it helps draw attention to the positive space.
    FYI, negative space = whitespace, See alistapart . The way it's used here, I can't really see how it improves the focus of the content. All my attention gets shifted to the blank space. It's almost as if there's too much of it. The way whitespace (or negative space, w/e you want to call it) should work is it should act as an accelerator to important focal points. Our eyes tend to move in a particular direction around a layout or interface, and the negative space helps to control this somewhat chaotic movement. It can also be an extra element in a design, but I don't think that really applies here. The main application of whitespace is the ability to cushion text in a way that makes it easier to read. Given all those types of usage, I don't see how any of them can be applied here, at least not given the treatment. You could have aligned the first paragraph with the others, and have achieved almost the same effect. It actually makes the article harder to read, having to shift my line of sight upward rather than going downward, as it is read.

I guess what I'm saying is negative space can be a good thing, but it shouldn't be used 'just because', as I think may be the case here.

Edit: Here's a really good article on whitespace, for those interested. http://www.layersmagazine.com/negative-space.html - I think it holds a lot of prudence to what may or may not be misconceptions about whitespace / negative space.
    Last edited by Chris; 02-03-2010 at 12:27 PM.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. I've never had a problem with folk complaining about being too attracted to negative space throughout my professional career, so...

But I don't have any source material for any photographs and so rather than trying to cobble some old photographs together, it looked better to leave it blank and still does. I know how negative space works, I know when It should be used and not just 'because'. And so what if it's harder to read? Take your time. You're not in a speed-reading contest. Typography is supposed to be visually entertaining and engaging.

But isn't that the point of whitespace? To increase the comfort level of the person reading the type? If you're intentionally making it difficult to read, I think you're missing the point. :P

Form should never outweigh function.

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post

Form should never outweigh function.
    Ahhh finally two educated people having a mature debate... makes a change to the usual piss some people talk abou here like "Your opinion sucks, I am right"

I am inclined to agree with the above quote, I don't understand why you would draw a person's eye away from your text, which is what happens when I am looking at the work.

Quote Originally Posted by iScribble. View Post
    Ahhh finally two educated people having a mature debate... makes a change to the usual piss some people talk abou here like "Your opinion sucks, I am right"

I am inclined to agree with the above quote, I don't understand why you would draw a person's eye away from your text, which is what happens when I am looking at the work.
    Because it communicates. It makes people think. I'll leave you to figure out how.

Well, I'm not trying to force my opinion on you. I assumed you wanted critique because you posted it here. If you're just going to defend your work rather than accept critique at face value then I see no reason why I should continue to offer comments. No offense intended, but you seem very close-minded to outside thoughts.

Sorry for intruding, I didn't mean to object to your professional opinion.
    Last edited by Chris; 02-04-2010 at 02:11 AM.