» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Website help

Quote Originally Posted by Judobreaker View Post
    You're right on the absolute positioning by the way, it can be very tricky business but in this example it would work rather well.
    What were you going for with using absolute positioning here? To me it doesn't seem appropriate or useful in this context. I'm just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejuice View Post
    I dont want to center the layout. I want to place some text precisely somewhere if someone misunderstood .. (or was that a different forum?)
    Be more specific. You have it one way on your screen, and you say it looks wrong on your brother's screen. How exactly do you want it to look on your brother's screen then?

I dont want to center the layout. I want to place some text precisely somewhere if someone misunderstood .. (or was that a different forum?)
    Juice what I would do, just so you completely understand the concept of divs in a layout (and so you don't retract to using tables because if you do someone will come to your house and kill you), is play around with an actual filled body of content. If you want to do something with what you're working on, all you need to do is get a basic barebones structure of the divs you would need to make your layout work.

Placing text is not just about moving the text, but moving the div that contains the text. Here's what I mean.

Take your concept image:

And the barebones structure of the html portion of your document. I would imagine, given the elements in this design, you would have something like:

Code:
    <html>
    <head><title>Just  Photoshopping</title></head>
    <body>
    <div  id="container"><!-- CSS: width: 760px; -->
    <div  id="header">
    <h1>Just Photoshopping</h1>
    <h2>Bring  pictures alive</h2>
    <div  id="nav"><ul><li>Home</li><li>Posts</li><li>About  me</li></ul>
    <!-- end nav -->
    </div>
    <!--  end header -->
    </div>
    <div id="subheader">
    <h3>Just  Photoshopping</h3>
    <!-- end subheader -->
    </div>
    <div  id="content">
    <div id="leftside"><!-- CSS: border-right:  1px; // for divider -->
    <h4>Welcome</h4>
    <p>Welcome  to www.justphotoshopping.blogspot.com! On this site you will learn everything about PhotoShopping, Photoshopping pictures, making art from scratch, and you will see art from other people. Once upon a time you will be able to find an interview with some famous artists.<br  /><br />Thank you for coming here, I hope you will enjoy  it</p>
    <!-- end leftside -->
    </div>
    <div  id="rightside">
    <h4>Last Post</h4>
    <p>Lorem  ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque odio  ligula, ultricies non vestibulum sit amet, congue vitae nulla. Donec  odio sem, euismod ut ultrices et, vehicula a augue. </p>
    <p>Lorem  ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque odio  ligula, ultricies non vestibulum sit amet, congue vitae nulla. Donec  odio sem, euismod ut ultrices et, vehicula a augue. </p>
    <pLorem  ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque odio  ligula, ultricies non vestibulum sit amet, congue vitae nulla. Donec  odio sem, euismod ut ultrices et, vehicula a augue. </p>

<!--  end rightside -->
    </div>

<!-- end content -->
    </div>

<!--  end container -->
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>
    That should be about right. If you take that and then start to mold your css, the text will get placed based on where the containing div is. You can also control things like padding and margins, in case it's not exactly where you want it right off the bat.

EDIT: Here is a graphical representation of the div ids I used:

I don't think anyone should be constricted to doing it one way and one way only, I'm a firm believer that there's more than one way to solve any problem. The most important thing you need to consider is what happens when you do certain things. Standardized markup can save you alot of headache later on when you're dealing with things like cross-browser compatibility, and ensuring that your work is rendered exactly the way you intended.

@judo, cheers, I misunderstood then.

@apple, as far as zooming in and out is concerned, you're going to be fighting that war for a long time. The best thing you can do is to adapt to those changes, and be able to work around them. Some people like it the way it is. Some people want their text really big. So it's up to you to develop your layout with those possibilities in mind.
    Last edited by Chris; 04-25-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Ok, before we go any much further I want to ask you some things because at this rate we're going to flood you with information while we actually don't even know for sure what you're trying to achieve. ^^

Here's 4 very possible options which are quite possible to code:
    http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9823/webopts.jpg

Which of there is or comes closest to what you have in mind?
    Once we know that we can help you get the images into place better.
    The text is something you shouldn't worry about too much as that shouldn't be too hard once you have the images in place.

We are already using Background-position:top center(4).

thank you for all the info, Its really great that you help me, and I'm improving, thanks to you. More questions / answers later.

Dare the Devil

www.artistic8.com
    -Domino-

YAY

I learned the basics in html, but I dont need 'em anymore!

Cause I found SiteGrinder
    Heres a little vid of how it works:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hn3TqvJ43c

Dare the Devil

www.artistic8.com
    -Domino-

YAY

I learned the basics in html, but I dont need 'em anymore!

Cause I found SiteGrinder
    Heres a little vid of how it works:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hn3TqvJ43c
    I don't recommend that. Website generators are generally terrible, and that one is no exception.
    Last edited by Jeff; 05-08-2010 at 12:24 AM.

I'd agree with Jeff. Although I don't know too much about this, website generators are useless - wouldn't recommend it to be honest with you.

Agreed. :P
    The code generated is never according to the W3C standards which will surely cause display issues in several browsers.

weird that it works perfectly fine with me. When it is done I'll send it to ya'll and you can check if it works.

I have had problems in the begining though, but thats fixed.

Dare the Devil

www.artistic8.com
    -Domino-

Okay , I have stopped with auto thingies..

Now I'll be using things like dreamweaver, coffee cup and such

Dare the Devil

www.artistic8.com
    -Domino-