> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Default I think I need alot of good CC

Im new to sig art so please any input you all may have will help

I realize this sigs are pretty amatureish, any tips and links you can give me to improve my skills will be appreciated.

The first thing to suggest would be to make sure you read a lot of tutorials. Either here or Deviant Art are good places to start.

The tutorials will help you with your backgrounds and help them to fit the render better.

Next is text, the simpler the better. Try and stick with basic fonts like verdana, etc atleast to start with text can kill a sig so it really needs to be simple. Try and place it near your render but keep it smallish, unless it's a typography piece the focus is the sig itself not the text so don't draw too much attention to it.

Lighting can be tricky to get right sometimes. Try and look where the shadows on the render are and then make that side of the sig darker. You can do this by painting some black onto the part of the sig with a standard soft brush (lower the hardness to 0%) and then set the layer to soft light on a low opacity. You can also lighten part of the sig like this by using white instead of black.

Another part of sig making is getting the depth right. The easiest way to do this is by making an applied layer (image > apply image) and then bluring the bg and sharpening the render, or whatever the focal point is.

Finally there's just blending, you need to blend your render in so that it doesnt look like it's just been pasted on top. You can do this either by smudging, the burn tool can work sometimes, as can a soft brush with an eraser.
    Look at some tutorials for the different ways to blend, this one has the basics on the different ways you can blend.
    http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=blen...set=0#/d2jamel

I think that covered most things, don't try and focus on everything at once just pick one thing and focus on that until you think you have the hang of it then you can move onto another one slowly combining what you learn.

Hope that helped lol. Keep practicing man.
    Fav:

Latest:

thanks a lot, this is what i really want. Anything that can help me get better is great. I have a lot of fun with my photoshop, you should see some of my earliest work when i first started messing with it..... it was horrible, LOL I know my sigs are not good compared to everyone here but my goal is to be as good.

Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by SuFi B A M F513 View Post
    thanks a lot, this is what i really want. Anything that can help me get better is great. I have a lot of fun with my photoshop, you should see some of my earliest work when i first started messing with it..... it was horrible, LOL I know my sigs are not good compared to everyone here but my goal is to be as good.

Thank you again.
    Your welcome and don't worry about it my sigs was a disaster waiting to happen when I first started lol.

Everyone here started off exactly the same as you are now so with a practice and patience you can be as good as you want to be.
    Fav:

Latest:

here i took your advice and followed some tips from the tut. Im still not happy with it so i may keep working on it....

Your getting the idea, I think the text is a little too big but aside from that it's ok.

You've got the basic idea of lighting, just keep working on it. I think it should be lighter at the top middle of the sig, around his head, so it looks like there is a light source.

The works better than your other ones, the red and blue colours work with the render, though I would adjust the colours a little bit. Try playing with some gradient maps (the purple/orange one on colour or soft light with a low opacity can look really nice) but experiment with some others just remember to lower the opacity on them so they arn't so strong.

I would also suggest using the blur tool on the bottom of the render, where it starts to get darker at the bottom. Just a small amount though, that will help with the focus on the his face.

Aside from that nice progress, keep practicing and reading tuts man.
    Fav:

Latest:

ok i think im getting closer to it being really good

Quote Originally Posted by Draywin848 View Post
    The first thing to suggest would be to make sure you read a lot of tutorials. Either here or Deviant Art are good places to start.

The tutorials will help you with your backgrounds and help them to fit the render better.

Next is text, the simpler the better. Try and stick with basic fonts like verdana, etc atleast to start with text can kill a sig so it really needs to be simple. Try and place it near your render but keep it smallish, unless it's a typography piece the focus is the sig itself not the text so don't draw too much attention to it.

Lighting can be tricky to get right sometimes. Try and look where the shadows on the render are and then make that side of the sig darker. You can do this by painting some black onto the part of the sig with a standard soft brush (lower the hardness to 0%) and then set the layer to soft light on a low opacity. You can also lighten part of the sig like this by using white instead of black.

Another part of sig making is getting the depth right. The easiest way to do this is by making an applied layer (image > apply image) and then bluring the bg and sharpening the render, or whatever the focal point is.

Finally there's just blending, you need to blend your render in so that it doesnt look like it's just been pasted on top. You can do this either by smudging, the burn tool can work sometimes, as can a soft brush with an eraser.
    Look at some tutorials for the different ways to blend, this one has the basics on the different ways you can blend.
    http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=blen...set=0#/d2jamel

I think that covered most things, don't try and focus on everything at once just pick one thing and focus on that until you think you have the hang of it then you can move onto another one slowly combining what you learn.

Hope that helped lol. Keep practicing man.
    Holy crap that was long, but everything he said was right. There's a 2 signature tutorials that I wrote in my signature that might provide some help. They are pretty basic.

You should post new sigs you make in a new thread you will get more CnC.

The render seems a bit small, should be bigger and fill up more space so it doesn't look so empty.

The render and text also look a bit blurry. The bg isn't bad and the blending is pretty good. Keep at it man.
    Fav:

Latest: