> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "make your own"

I hate _HATE_ when people say "make your own" in response to just about any question. "how do i get brushes for photoshop?" "make your own", "how do i use photoshop actions?" "make your own", "how do i buy a car" "make your own". The reason it's so upsetting is because most of the time the people saying it are only saying it because they got that exact same answer from someone else when they tried to ask. There's no need to be so cynical about this, i don't get it. Yes, there is a certain appeal to doing all your work by yourself. But when you're in a business situation where it's selling and not art for arts sake alone, then you need to use presets and actions and pre-packaged crap sometimes. it doesn't make you cool to act like you do all your work by yourself, and it certainly doesn't help the community. so stop berrating the new members with snobby smart-ass answers and try and actually help.

My graphic design teacher always said to me "Adam, there's no need to reinvent the wheel." That's advice every graphic artist needs to follow if they plan to survive.

Furthermore, I'd like to know where this line is drawn in the sand between what's okay and what's not okay to "steal" from someone. Some people get all high and mighty about using a brush set you found on the internet, but they don't think twice about cutting a character out of an anime still frame from TV, putting a cloud filter behind it and claiming it as their own work.
    Resident father figure.

You do have a point there, but most people here are not even trying to "survive" as a graphic artist, so as a hobby, i personally think its better and more rewarding to do it all by yourself. Quite a fev people here are really in graphic business

there's no need to reinvent the wheel.
    that sounds smart :huh:

rofl yeah wuht dose that mean anyway...and when i was a noob on ehre nobody told me anytin it was kinda sad....i kinda learned a bit about stuff as a went along..(e.i pen tool, apop, other filters)
    Creator of the GFXvoid Header......................................Retired GFXvoid Staff.
    Currently: Never Here

I think you may be referring to me, but all I suggest is that people make their own brushes. It will get them further in graphics, and they won't have people bitching at them for ripping their work or something. I currently am making a book cover, a t-shirt, and some sites and I don't want people on my ass for copywrite infringement, so you know what I am doing? I am going to make my own brushes. It isn't that hard, and you can call it your work. What i hate about presets is that most sigs that people think are "awesome" are just 5 brushes arranged in such a way to fill up the space and look cool, then theres a render slapped on it.
    If you want help...
    Screw you
    If you make sigs...
    Screw you

...i wasn't talking about you at all. in fact the comment that sparked this was from someone new to the forums.

you don't need to worry about copyright infrigement if you read the usage rights for peoples work before using it.

:edit:
    okay that's all for me at 420 "stoned memeber" i'm leaving the forums now, you'll never hear from me again. nice meeting you all, but i just can't lose this member title.
    Resident father figure.

ROFL!!! ^^

mayn, if it pisses ya off when they say that to u, simple - tell them to fuckkkk themselves

guy: "how do I get brushes for photoshop?
    guy#2: "make your own"
    guy: "go fuck yourself"

simple Lol...

rofl ss, and 43, you just lost it
    If you want help...
    Screw you
    If you make sigs...
    Screw you

i know, i posted in the logo battle and forgot all about it. because i'm an idiot.
    Resident father figure.

i know on bluesfear they are very harsh on using your own work, i dont think brushes are that bad but copying and pasting redners seems to be kinda bad...

hmmm personaly I reckon if your doing it as a hobby, with no thought of making money off of it then your fine to use most brush packs, cut outs, etc.

Some comps have rules about what you use, but thats not an issue as long as you read the rules and follow them.

If your commercial then it makes sense to use brush packs and so forth, of course (as 43 stated) you have to check the usage terms associated with the brush packs. People dont realise that this applies to fonts as well. Almost every font I have looked at on dafont.com says that its okay for non-commercial use but permision must be obtained before being used for commercial use.

if your doing commercial work time is the issue, thats why font packs, brush packs, shapes, etc, sell for good money, time = money in the commercial world.