No Members online

» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids

Even as Microsoft took the wraps off its new Xbox 360 video-game console last night, the company left a major question unanswered: Will the new Xbox play games made for the old?

The issue, known as backward compatibility, is a key one for game developers and console owners hoping to bring their existing libraries of games along with them to the next generation. One of the reasons commonly credited for the success of Sony's dominant PlayStation 2 is its ability to play games that were originally made for its predecessor.

But as recently as last week, a Microsoft executive said the Redmond company hadn't yet determined whether the new Xbox 360, set for release this year, would be backward compatible.

"We don't know yet, as scary as that is," said Peter Moore, an Xbox corporate vice president. He cited "a host of technical issues" for the uncertainty, without being more specific.

There are fundamental technical differences between the first Xbox and the Xbox 360 in such areas as the central processing unit and the graphics processing unit. In both cases, Microsoft switched to different suppliers in the new console -- IBM for the central processing unit and ATI for the graphics chip.

"We completely changed the processor and the GPU," explained Chris Satchell, general manager of Microsoft's XNA game development platform. "You can imagine that can cause some challenges."

Although Microsoft didn't make any announcement yesterday on the subject, Moore said it should know the answer to the backward-compatibility question by Monday, the day of its briefing at the E3 game conference.

Microsoft plans to continue making the current Xbox even after releasing the new one. But in a research note this week, Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter predicted that a lack of backward compatibility would "dramatically reduce demand for current-generation Xbox games" and cause sales of the original Xbox console to "rapidly decline."

Pachter wrote that the situation may come down to whether Microsoft is able to license patented technology from one of the processor vendors for the original Xbox, letting it use that technology to enable backward compatibility in the Xbox 360.

It's not clear how much a lack of backward compatibility would affect Xbox 360 sales. In reality, most people end up preferring games specifically made for a new console even if they're able to play games on it that were made for the earlier hardware, said Michael Goodman, senior analyst with the Yankee Group research and consulting firm.

But it's the type of issue that could help Sony and Nintendo in the public-relations battle over the next-generation consoles, particularly if their upcoming machines are backward compatible.

"If you have the capability, and your competitor doesn't, you hype it," Goodman said. "If it pops popcorn and your competitor's doesn't, then you hype that fact."

aww man. . .this sucks. It better be backwards compatable cuz i wanna play my old games. >.<
    If you want help...
    Screw you
    If you make sigs...
    Screw you

well....ya might buy an older version of xbox then....

Originally posted by streetsoulja@May 23 2005, 12:35 PM
    well....ya might buy an older version of xbox then....
    [snapback]54757[/snapback]
    That won&#39;t happen because if you have the new one you most likely will like the graphics and if you go to the older version it won&#39;t meet the standards set by the new console.

ya its like me, i played original hl like 1yr ago after leaving it for ages and playing hl2 and i was like... holy hell... these gfx are crap

anyway, im not too much of an xbox fan but that would really take the sales down, but maybe boost the sales of the new games considering that you can only play them

Originally posted by JustinB@May 23 2005, 03:24 PM
    That won&#39;t happen because if you have the new one you most likely will like the graphics and if you go to the older version it won&#39;t meet the standards set by the new console.
    [snapback]54810[/snapback]
    I think you are soooooooooooooooo wrong.
    I might be a cheap S.O.B. but that was the whole reason I bought my PS2.
    Because I had over 50 PS games.
    So if X-Box doesn&#39;t have it then they are up shits creek.
    More PS3 buyers...mawhahahahahahaha

The press releases i have read have made it clear that XBox 360 will support the popular titles, but the minor ones will be hit and miss. I&#39;m not sure how this works but I suspect it will be to do with how the older game was developed.

Otherwise it means there are coders out there building special support for the common games, which is an interesting idea, but expensive.

This is amazing. People are scared they wont be able to play old games. If the game is any good they will make a new one for new xbox&#33;&#33; Duh&#33; If not just use the old xbox. They will support major games (like halo2, ut, splintercell, and such).

i believe the major issue with backwards compatability is the fact that microsoft switched from nvidia to ati for graphics processing. i just got the new issue of PSM and it came with this xbox 360 mini-magazine that cited the gpu as the main concern.