> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any military veterans on here?

I need some advice regarding the Air Force and Navy.

= Monroe Smith IV

= skeetonbeezies

I highly doubt there are any veterans on here at all, most of the people I knew that were into that sort of thing were highly into physical activities more than anything else. I went through the air cadet program, but was more from pressure to do it than want.

What do you advice about? Joining up? What it's like?

Commissions and stickers available via linktree here.

The main reason I'm looking to go is for educational benefits. I want to go in and get IT training and receive an Associate's in that field, and then when I get out, have them partially if not fully pay for my Bachelor's.

The advice I'm looking for is which branch is known for their IT training programs and how much will they help with tuition. I'm thinking about the Navy because the benefits are no good to me if I get shot down by an Iraqi, plus they get to travel a lot. The Air Force seems more technology based however. And I don't really want to be on a ship. Rather have a desk job at a base doing something computer related.

Then when I get out I want to get my Bachelor's in Computer Science and get a job with a large company like Google or Facebook or something similar doing web development, database management, or something similar.

= Monroe Smith IV

= skeetonbeezies

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    The main reason I'm looking to go is for educational benefits. I want to go in and get IT training and receive an Associate's in that field, and then when I get out, have them partially if not fully pay for my Bachelor's.

The advice I'm looking for is which branch is known for their IT training programs and how much will they help with tuition. I'm thinking about the Navy because the benefits are no good to me if I get shot down by an Iraqi, plus they get to travel a lot. The Air Force seems more technology based however. And I don't really want to be on a ship. Rather have a desk job at a base doing something computer related.

Then when I get out I want to get my Bachelor's in Computer Science and get a job with a large company like Google or Facebook or something similar doing web development, database management, or something similar.

Well, if you want something with a desk job...I'd look into the Army reserve. Best thing to do is go down to your local MEPS or recruiter and speak with them. When I enlisted I wasn't looking for the benefits I was just looking to get out, but my recruiter helped me out with everything. But before I could get ship out for Basic training I broke my leg while skateboarding and once that happened the Marines didn't want me. They still "own" me but I'm "useless" to them. So basically what I'm saying if you already haven't go speak with a recruiter I'd recommend USAF or the the army. Depending on the training you're willing to do. The Navy and the Corps training is way more intense even if you just want a desk job doing computer work you still need to go through basic training.

I feel like the recruiters aren't straight up with you about everything.

= Monroe Smith IV

= skeetonbeezies

Well it depends on the recruiter you get. Try looking into their websites as well. I don't know anything about recruiters from the air force army or navy, but the Corps recruiters tend to be pretty brutal. If you were to talk to a veteran they would just tell you not to enlist. Because no matter what you want to do you'll still be liable to be signed up for a tour or two against your will. My Uncle has been in the navy for almost 20 years and he says it's really not worth it in the long run, yes they pay for your schooling and you can come out of it with a decent job but for the time you sign up for they own you and can ship you out where ever they see fit at any given time after you complete your training. That's just what he says. I guess it comes down to your options if you have no options left then it's a good idea.

American by birth, southern by the grace of God.

First off when you go to a recruiter, it is best to have someone that is already in the military with you. Like if you know someone in the military take them with you.

Second, I know countless people that are sort of doing the same thing as you and they say do air force. Its the easiest.

"Happiness comes in the form of a belt fed weapon."

Well before you even do any of that, have you even taken your ASVAB yet?

By the way, No matter what branch you try and go in to, You will be infantry.

You won't be infantry, if you choose another job. I was in the army for 4 years, I was a cook and never was infantry, yes I trained with the infantry, but I never did there job. If you want some of the best education in the military, look more towards the Navy. They get the best of the best, even better than the Air Force. If I could do it all over again I would have gone Navy. btw there is no Infantry in the navy, the navy's infantry are the marines.