» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

When making a sig tutorial try to be more explanatory. Example I just tried doing your C4D Wallpaper tut, by step 2 you had me already confused, which has never happen before o.0. " 2. Now you are going to make a new layer and fill it with black and lightly brush with a grunge brush in a dark gray color. Set the layer to "Difference" and 100% Opacity." I tried following these instructions and the result was extremely bad. My suggestion would be show the result of this step, or possibly give an example of what type of grunge brush is suitable for this or what settings you should use for the brush technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy_Gfx View Post
    When making a sig tutorial try to be more explanatory. Example I just tried doing your C4D Wallpaper tut, by step 2 you had me already confused, which has never happen before o.0. " 2. Now you are going to make a new layer and fill it with black and lightly brush with a grunge brush in a dark gray color. Set the layer to "Difference" and 100% Opacity." I tried following these instructions and the result was extremely bad. My suggestion would be show the result of this step, or possibly give an example of what type of grunge brush is suitable for this or what settings you should use for the brush technique.
    Please don't tell me how to make tutorials. Each one of my tuts are labeled by the level. I have both beginner tuts and moderate tuts. This tut that you are talking about is a moderate tut, meaning that you should have a solid knowledge of Photoshop and how to use all the tools and settings. I shouldn't have to explain each small detail to someone on a moderate level. I don't get what you don't understand about " 2. Now you are going to make a new layer and fill it with black and lightly brush with a grunge brush in a dark gray color. Set the layer to "Difference" and 100% Opacity." That is as descriptive as it gets. You asked for an image of this, so here you go...
    After step 1:

After step 2:

Hope you can better understand from the images. I did not add them in the tutorials cause again, it's a simple step and someone on a moderate level wouldn't need an image to do it.

Your instructions-

Either you're bad at explaining things or you gave the wrong instructions.

(This is with 20% Opacity)

Btw I was using a pink render, if you were wondering. Please don't take offense to the cnc you're an extremely talented artist, but all I'm saying is I found other moderate tutorials easy to follow with 0 Photoshop experience.
    Last edited by Prodigy_Gfx; 02-24-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Honestly you're not suppose to give cnc for resources. Resources are posted to merely help, not to get opinions on. Will admit a lil offense was taken here, you are basically telling me that I'm no good at making tutorials... but I still will try to help out cause it's what I do. Here is a screen shot of the PSD opened in my photoshop. The layer in question is highlighted and you can see clearly that it is set to difference and 100% opacity.

I can't tell you why you aren't getting the same results... you mentioned the color you're using, maybe it's too light of a color... I honeslty donno. It does appear that I erased with the grunge brush too on my layer. Honestly though, when you add the smudging, the c4ds, and the render... you're not gonna see much (if any) of the background. The brushing is just for a lil bit of texture, to give your piece a base to work from. If you have to lower the opacity, then lower it. A tutorial isn't made to be followed word for word. It's made explaining how that one specific piece was made and unless you're using the exact same resources, you're not gonna get the same result... even when using the same resources, your results will differ. I encourage people to do their own thing and not just do what I did. Play around, if you do something that looks better than I did, then go with it. I have NEVER followed a tut from start to finish, I just pull out the things I wanna use and apply them to my work, or I'll start a tut and in the middle go off on my own and finish it up my way. Anyways, try to use a grunge brush to erase, set the opacity and flow of the brush around 30-40% and just erase like crazy and see if that helps. I can't tell you what brushes I used here cause I can't remember, this piece was made like 5 years ago.

Let me know if the erasing works, only thing I can think of that I left out. I guess I didn't notice I erased on that layer too when I made the tut, just saw I used a grunge brush. Maybe the erasing and lowering the opacity of the whole layer will work out for you.

Yeah, tutorials are made to be helpful to everyone in the community, they shouldn't be tailor made specifically for one individual user. They're guides to learn how certain techniques or effects are made, and aren't meant to be followed step by step. Even if they can be followed word for word they shouldn't be because then all you're doing is duplicating the art and you'll never develop a style of your own.

If you're are having trouble with a particular tutorial my advice would be to just go onto the next one and try something else, there are literally 100's of other tutorials for you to learn something from.

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy View Post
    Yeah, tutorials are made to be helpful to everyone in the community, they shouldn't be tailor made specifically for one individual user. They're guides to learn how certain techniques or effects are made, and aren't meant to be followed step by step. Even if they can be followed word for word they shouldn't be because then all you're doing is duplicating the art and you'll never develop a style of your own.

If you're are having trouble with a particular tutorial my advice would be to just go onto the next one and try something else, there are literally 100's of other tutorials for you to learn something from.

I know the purpose of a tutorial, and I don't read and follow tutorials to make a sig tailor made by someone else. I do tutorials to learn new techniques. Anyhow, I will just ignore the technique, it doesn't make sense to me. I'd much rather just add a grunge stock photo layer and reduce the opacity and set it to color/linear dodge, makes a lot more sense than this.
    Last edited by Prodigy_Gfx; 02-24-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks for the share

Thanks a lot for the share

<3 Thanks for this awesome Gift Slave.

pentool tuts are awesome and I love using them.
    I am sure these tuts will help.

<3 Thanks for this awesome Gift Slave.

Can you please give me the link to the render used in the dragon tag?

EDIT: Nevermind.
    Last edited by Rayz0r; 12-29-2011 at 06:39 AM.