» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bias voting?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshiko View Post
    Okay...last time I checked, this was about people thinking that others were just voting for friends or teammates.
    Voting in general is biased because it's based on what you like and what you think looks good in a tag. But that wasn't what this was about at all. >_>
    Whoops sorry, went offtopic... I'll stay outta this from now on because as I said before I'm not aware of what happened prior to this thread.

I guess this problem can't be totally fixed.
    I mean I like Rad's solution for the sotw and in some cases it will work.
    But for I'll take Linda for example:
    She has her own style and it will always be recognized. I mean if her tag doesn't contains her name I'll still know that it's from her.
    And it's the same with other people like Kritez, Rad, Schultz....
    I think we just need to accept that people don't always vote for "the best tag" but go for their friend. Don't take it too serious... Maybe it's not always fair, but just deal with it.

Ive recognized this.... its been going on for ages.

Example... in my past 10 1v1 battles, the same person has voted against me atleast 9 of them... you think thats because my tag was worse?? obviously not, i won those battles... its because they dont want me to win.

Now im not one to complain or bitch... considering im the leader of MM and a SS winner... it obviously isnt really destroying my career... it just kinda upsetting on a more personal level, lol.

Im not gonna state any names, but their are people on this site who dont like certain people, or certain teams... therefore it sways their votes.

THE ENTIRE SITE has a bias for TOPAZ. lol... lets be honest.. a lot of us like it.. Im not the biggest topaz fan, but i use it in tags.

Ive seen an overtopaz sig beat and EQUALLY GOOD untopazed sig on this site 100 times. Its disappointing, but it happens.

As far as people voting for teammates. I try not to vote just because someone is my teammate. But at the same time you dont want to cause bad feelings between you and your teammates. So you just have to hope that your teammates sig is better! lol.

To make anonymity among battles WOULDNT be hard as far as the SS goes (which will be up soon for those who are wondering where the hell it is, lol). People will know WHO is battling WHO. But i dont have to include the names in the threads. And the SS doesnt require Names on your tag anyways... so i could do that if i wanted.

But lets be honest... CS4pro is right.... people are gonna recognize styles. EVERYYYONEEEE knows what a Radillac tag looks like.... everyone knows what a Andrew tag looks like..... everyone knows what a cs4pro tag looks like.... the list goes on and on. There are household names on this site. People know what their tags look like. Plan and simple.

As far as team battles... they will never be anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kritez View Post
    Ive recognized this.... its been going on for ages.

Example... in my past 10 1v1 battles, the same person has voted against me atleast 9 of them... you think thats because my tag was worse?? obviously not, i won those battles... its because they dont want me to win.

Now im not one to complain or bitch... considering im the leader of MM and a SS winner... it obviously isnt really destroying my career... it just kinda upsetting on a more personal level, lol.

Im not gonna state any names, but their are people on this site who dont like certain people, or certain teams... therefore it sways their votes.

THE ENTIRE SITE has a bias for TOPAZ. lol... lets be honest.. a lot of us like it.. Im not the biggest topaz fan, but i use it in tags.

Ive seen an overtopaz sig beat and EQUALLY GOOD untopazed sig on this site 100 times. Its disappointing, but it happens.

As far as people voting for teammates. I try not to vote just because someone is my teammate. But at the same time you dont want to cause bad feelings between you and your teammates. So you just have to hope that your teammates sig is better! lol.

To make anonymity among battles WOULDNT be hard as far as the SS goes (which will be up soon for those who are wondering where the hell it is, lol). People will know WHO is battling WHO. But i dont have to include the names in the threads. And the SS doesnt require Names on your tag anyways... so i could do that if i wanted.

But lets be honest... CS4pro is right.... people are gonna recognize styles. EVERYYYONEEEE knows what a Radillac tag looks like.... everyone knows what a Andrew tag looks like..... everyone knows what a cs4pro tag looks like.... the list goes on and on. There are household names on this site. People know what their tags look like. Plan and simple.

As far as team battles... they will never be anonymous.
    This.

American by birth, southern by the grace of God.

Honestly, first off let me get this off my chest I don't really care about the whole voting issue. NO MATTER what you really do its going to be bias if you use peoples names. The only way to make it unbiased would be to take away names from voting. But even then CS4Pro is right you can also notice peoples styles a lot. So, that also means voting is going to be bias. This means there really is no way to stop it. The only solution would really be to get people not from this site that do not know any of the people and have them vote for something, but the chances of that ever happening are pretty much zero. SO, unless pretty much anyone can think about any other ideas its going to be bias.

I know this sounds like a dick statement, but its the truth. There really isn't a reasonable way to fix this situation. Voting will always be bias.
    Last edited by Fur; 01-17-2011 at 06:36 PM.

its easy.. just make a tag that is a lot better than the other so even if their friends vote for them you still win.

or you can become friends with everyone on this site.

option 1 is easier for me personally and if you have a fear of losing then dont battle cause it happens

All these people saying that you can't stop the bias without names because people will still know styles are kind of right, but also kind of silly. Because sometimes people wont know whose style belongs to whom. And sometimes the voter will have no idea how to tell the style apart, they'll just be trying to vote for who they like best. Yes, sometimes people will recognize styles, but not everyone will, and not all the time.

So isn't it best to eliminate bias where you can? Instead of saying, "well, we can never get rid of it all the way, so don't bother changing anything."

Taking names off wont fix everything, but it will surely help, so why not do it? And if everyone knows you made a certain sig with or without your name, because all your sigs look the same, perhaps it's time to try something a little more creative... O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Fur View Post
    Honestly, first off let me get this off my chest I don't really care about the whole voting issue. NO MATTER what you really do its going to be bias if you use peoples names. The only way to make it unbiased would be to take away names from voting. But even then CS4Pro is right you can also notice peoples styles a lot. So, that also means voting is going to be bias. This means there really is no way to stop it. The only solution would really be to get people not from this site that do not know any of the people and have them vote for something, but the chances of that ever happening are pretty much zero. SO, unless pretty much anyone can think about any other ideas its going to be bias.

I know this sounds like a dick statement, but its the truth. There really isn't a reasonable way to fix this situation. Voting will always be bias.

My feelings exactly, you know me all to well. I'm just sick of the complaining.

Unfortunately people will always have a bit of a Bias towards some things, even if it's an art style, a member, or a theme and this does display itself on the forum. I do however think that it really is rather selfish for people to use their votes in a matter to "improve" their chances of winning a minor comp like a SoTW or KoTH. It does not, and I repeat, DOES NOT show that you are a good artist in the end, and it's the ones that continually win and fairly win that prove their worth.

I've been associated with a SoTW comp on another forum. It was run differently with the use of PMs and secret entries. Even during the comp we all knew there was bias because people leaked out who's sig is who's to their friends, but there's nothing you can do to prove that they actually did since we are not moderators of AIM, MSN, or other such chat programs.

After the comp ran for over 100 weeks, I had managed to win a good 15 or so comps, becoming the highest winning artist on that forum. The truth is that even after all those wins and seeing some of my friends win several times, it hasn't changed much in the long run. You eventually learn that a win doesn't show how good of an artist you really are. It doesn't make you better, it just means people appreciate 'that' art piece. Take a look at many members on this forum and you will notice that several of them don't enter many comps but they are what I would believe better artist then someone with 15 or so wins up his sleeve.

Basically what I'm saying is that you guys might as well vote fairly and really choose the best sig in the selection because come 2 weeks later no one is really gonna care who that winner was. Now I've been at the top, I've looked down, and in all honestly the look from below is alot better because you have things that you can aspire to. You know that any compliments and wins you get are from your own hard work and dedication.