» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

That was a bit uncalled for but anyways, I've become used to it.

Here's the deal then. I've already made a topic in the mod forum about this and we're going to discuss it amongst ourselves and at the same time keep an eye on this topic. What I myself may be willing to do is run this at some point on a trial basis only to see how it works out, if at all.

Thanks.
    Prick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Method View Post
    That was a bit uncalled for but anyways, I've become used to it.

Here's the deal then. I've already made a topic in the mod forum about this and we're going to discuss it amongst ourselves and at the same time keep an eye on this topic. What I myself may be willing to do is run this at some point on a trial basis only to see how it works out, if at all.
    Thank you for considering it again

Me personally am really looking forward to one of these, even if its just a trial so thanks again DM

No, because then it makes it even harder for Radillac to make 2 ribbons per week and its the fact that SOTW is for anyone that wants to enter, I am a beginner but I'm advancing into higher stages I think.. But how can you know if I'm being dishonest and I'm a high novice artist?

who gives a damn about emblems/ribbons?

BSOTW shouldn't received ribbons. If this idea is in fact for "noobs" to get better at Photoshop and improve then winning the comp should be reward enough. This comp is bout getting better and learning new things right? Not about glam and making getting medals, if they want medals they can work hard and try to enter the real SOTW, no need to make rad make 2 medals every week.

the reward for winning the BSOTW should be promotion to SOTW, if you beat all the noobs you should be able to compete against the rest of the void imo.

Quote Originally Posted by DOMINO™ View Post
    the reward for winning the BSOTW should be promotion to SOTW, if you beat all the noobs you should be able to compete against the rest of the void imo.
    Nice idea, but that would make some people feel like their rights were violated, the Void is democracy people can enter in which ever competition they please it'd be kind of cruel to say they couldn't enter SOTW until they won BSOTW.

This is a bad Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sirenzo View Post
    oh cry me a dAM RIVER god for bid if a mod has acctualy have to work for once wow lol jk i kinda had this idea allready but w/e gl
    Ever run a forum before? I spend half my free time and a good portion of every day monitoring this website not to have some punk tell me that the work I do and the work these guys as staff members do is a load of shit.

But Back to the topic... In my opinion I don't think this is a very good idea at all. How are you going to define a Beginner? Someone new to the forum, someone new to the site, someone that doesn't have a CS version of Photoshop? In my view it's degrading stating that someone isn't allowed to enter a proper comp just because they are a newbie, not to mention that people will probably lie just so they can boast about winning a comp. Every member has a right to enter the proper SoTW comp and it gives them an idea to what can be expected if they want to win.

If you enter a SoTW comp and you're not winning, then it shows that you need to focus on improving and trying out new tutorials or techniques. Isn't honest truth and proper CnC what you guys are after? So wouldn't telling someone that they are the best at being a newbie be lying to them when they may not be as good as what they are being told they are?

These comps are voluntary. We are not forcing people to enter them, so why would we want to force people not to enter them just because they don't know how to make a great sig. I would prefer that the comp was left as one comp and if you find that you are not winning then you will understand that it's because people didn't find your sig appealing, rather then telling someone they are just a Gfx-Noob.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter View Post
    Ever run a forum before? I spend half my free time and a good portion of every day monitoring this website not to have some punk tell me that the work I do and the work these guys as staff members do is a load of shit.

But Back to the topic... In my opinion I don't think this is a very good idea at all. How are you going to define a Beginner? Someone new to the forum, someone new to the site, someone that doesn't have a CS version of Photoshop? In my view it's degrading stating that someone isn't allowed to enter a proper comp just because they are a newbie, not to mention that people will probably lie just so they can boast about winning a comp. Every member has a right to enter the proper SoTW comp and it gives them an idea to what can be expected if they want to win.

If you enter a SoTW comp and you're not winning, then it shows that you need to focus on improving and trying out new tutorials or techniques. Isn't honest truth and proper CnC what you guys are after? So wouldn't telling someone that they are the best at being a newbie be lying to them when they may not be as good as what they are being told they are?

These comps are voluntary. We are not forcing people to enter them, so why would we want to force people not to enter them just because they don't know how to make a great sig. I would prefer that the comp was left as one comp and if you find that you are not winning then you will understand that it's because people didn't find your sig appealing, rather then telling someone they are just a Gfx-Noob.
    I don't think he was asking for a beginner to be defined, because you're right, that would be mean and rude and all sorts of not nice stuff. I think he means it would be a competition where people who feel like beginners can compete with a shot at winning. They get to enter themselves into the beginner category, no one tells them to go there. And so there are no hurt feelings.

As for cheating. It would be pretty easy to tell if someone is clearly not making novice sigs and kick them out, and it seems like most people on here know each other so if a good designer tries to be sneaky and win the competition, I don't think he'd get away with it very easily. And what kind of experienced designer wants to impress everyone by winning a competition for beginners? Who does that impress O.o (other than ketg)

I agree that failure is a good motivation thingy, but not ALL THE TIME. A few failures is good to get you going, but constant failure is the quickest way to make someone sad. There are people in this thread and people I know who don't enter sotw because they know they will never get a single vote. You can tell them to get better but failing week after week after week, how long do you think they keep trying before they just give up? If anything a chance at winning a competition would inspire these people to try harder, but feeling hopeless every time they enter the sotw? That wont help anyone.

It is simply not true that putting someone in a competition where they don't have a chance is good motivation. That is why things are always divided into leagues and weightclasses and other silly boxes. Because people get better fastest and have the most fun when they have a chance! Because you can't put someone in a hopeless situation and think it will do anything but make them hopeless.

Ok, done ranting. Sorry =D

I appreciate what you do by the way!