> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default //02 Vectors Vexels and You

Lately I have seen a growing number of people using the term Vector, or Vexel without understand it.

Vector graphics is the use of geometrical primitives such as points, lines, curves, and shapes or polygon(s), which are all based on mathematical equations, to represent images in computer graphics.

That being said, if you make something in Illustrator, or flash, or the other vector programs, when you save the file as the programs file type (.AI, .SVG etc) it preserves the points, and thus it produces the image based on mathematical equations, this is how they can be displayed at any resolution without any loss.

Vexel is a neologism for an entirely pixel-based form of raster art that imitates the visual appearance of vector graphics technique (i.e. sharp-edged lines and areas of flat colour or smooth gradient fills). The word itself is a portmanteau derived from a combination of "vector" and "pixel."

This is saying that you imitate the look of a vector image, but making it within a raster program, like Photoshop, or GIMP. What this is talking about, is the images that you see with layered shading, cell shading, flat colours, or simple gradients. When you add brushes, or anything else, it ceases to be a vexel, as you are straying from that style.

"Vector brushes" are actually vexel brushes. Those simple geometric shapes are not vectors, but made to imitate vectors, and thus are a vexels, but when added with things like stocks, abstract 3D images, the result is not a vexel either. Also, when you start adding stock textures to a picture, even if it was made using photoshops pentool, it is no longer a vector, or vexel
    Last edited by Pet; 12-09-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Commissions and stickers available via linktree here.

This whole thread is probably just because I made a thread called "Naruto Vector"..

No, I was planning to write this up for a few days, it is just especially after takkens comments, I felt I needed to post it sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pet View Post
    Those simple geometric shapes are not vectors, but made to imitate vectors, and thus are a vector.
    So they aren't a vector, but they imitate a vector, so they are a vector... ??

= Monroe Smith IV

= skeetonbeezies

Thanks for that, I meant Vexel.

This whole discussion started at the Void like a year ago, so no harm done Morph

Pet started a pen tool revolution, he's actualy the caus of me starting to use AI. Were scared of it before.

I'm still a Vexel guy, haven't taken that big step and let go of PS pen tool yet, don't feel 100% comfy with AI yet ^u^

TY Pet for putting this information down! It's really helpful and does clearsome stuff up for me

Great work Petimus ^^

Radi's one of a kind gift <3

^My Wish List^

This should be a helpful thread, that way terms won't be mis-used as much. Good one Pet.

You think you should put up a definition for vections though? A certain group on DA uses it though it isn't really 'recognized'.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave
    takken, you sweet boy you, i could eat you 6^

Next thread: The difference between renders and stocks.

= Monroe Smith IV

= skeetonbeezies

Quote Originally Posted by Takken View Post
    This should be a helpful thread, that way terms won't be mis-used as much. Good one Pet.

You think you should put up a definition for vections though? A certain group on DA uses it though it isn't really 'recognized'.
    The only times I see "vection" on deviantART is the title of a picture, or in the description of a few, which they meant to put vexel. I think some people mistakenly put it on their art. The only definition I know of, relates to the feeling of movement with pure visual stimulus. Such as 3D movies, watching a moving train pass from a stationary one etc.