> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Test Your Talent Tournament Rules MARCH TYT

This will be the first ever Test Your Talent Tournament! This Tournament is nothing that the void has ever seen. This Tournament will incorporate both LPs and Sigs. The themes are sporadic and difficult created so that the artist will embrace the concept and create ART. Slave, Nathan, and myself have noticed that sig battles and tournaments have become somewhat bland and boring. The current themes do not encourage people out of the comfort zone. The whole point of this tourney is to allow people to change up what they are use to doing, and let them evolve their abilities to the next level. The themes will involve things that aren't normally seen on the void and the difficulties endured during this Tournament will only help evolve your skills as a artist. The rules will be layed out, and everything should be easily understood.

Qualifications:

In order to participate in the Test Your Talent Tournament, you must have the following have 100+ posts. This Tournament is focused on the individuals who have been on the void for a vast amount of time. The younger generation of the void might not be at the level that should be subjected to change and variabililty. Those who would still like to join has a limited range of time to increase their post count if they do so feel that this Tournament is for them. In all honesty, this Tournament might not be for all people. So don't feel pressured to join, if you are having doubts. We want this Tournament to be ran as smoothly as possible. Less abrupt changes in deciding to partake in this Tournament would only be a huge gift to Slave, Nathan, and myself.

The Rules:

-Sig Dimensions: 450x250/250x450 MAX
    -LP Dimensions: 800x800 MIN
    -No Pre-made ART
    -No Voting For Yourself
    -32 Contestants, 4 Rounds, 1 Winner, Who will take it all?

The Twists:

-As seen in previous Tournaments, DUE DATES can be a major issue! So in order to have less complications we have decided on tweeking the rules a bit. There will be 5 days time to turn in sig. The themes will be given out Sunday and will be due Thursday. The poll will come up on Friday, thus giving contestants who are unable to turn their sigs on time, due to time constraints, an extra day! PLEASE don't rely on this extra day. This is in case of emergencies and not practical. As soon as all entries are in the poll will come up. If indeed a contestant does not turn it in, then it will be an automatic DISQUALIFICATION!
    -So for this Tournament, there will be NO PRE-SET BRACKETS. Ah Ha! The match-ups will be randomly selected. Matchups will not be told. After all sigs are turned in. They will be posted an hour before the poll comes up. This will make contestants fight for their lives. There will be no "going easy" just because you feel your matchup is lesser than you. No, in fact, we will decide which matchups go where. PLEASE do not complain about how unfair this is. We are trying to conjure up a unique Tournament that will make it VERY VERY difficult. By choosing match-ups it will bring your game out! Now, some might say we would cheat giving ourselves the easy match-ups, but this is how it will work. Slave, Nathan, and myself will pick each others match-ups. Try to believe us, and we put our credibility as mods, that we will make this fair.
    -Each contestant's sigs are to be PMd to all 3 of us. This is made so that if one of us is absent there will be another person present to make the polls. That way this Tournament will go as smoothly as possible. This may be a hassle for some of you, but please bear with us.
    (NOTE: When sending a PM; the place where it says recipient, you may send to more than 1 person!)
    -Each contestant will be given one adjustment to the sig that they turn in.
    -ANY CONCERNS WHATSOEVER ABOUT THE TWIST WILL NOT BE POSTED IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD BUT RATHER PM TO ONE OF US. If it is about something more general than you may post in the discussion thread. Anything that raises concern or may cause strife between members are to be kept in the PM system. Once it is addressed, one of us will address it in the thread.
    -If contestants do not enter their work on time the will automatically be DISQUALIFIED and their opponent will be given a bye.

Voting:

-The Voting will be first to 15 VOTES!
    -Names will be revealed. This might cause complications in the eyes of some, but we believe that since this Tournament relies on the fact that the themes will be innovative; that the art will be innovative. We tried picking themes that put you out of your comfort zone, hence not allowing you to do the same effects. With that said, biases will be absent due to the inability to factor in previous skills. We hope the void votes fairly. Any other pre-causions would just cause more complications.

Themes:

The moment you guys have been waiting for! What makes this Tournament so special? The truth lies in the themes. The theme of the Rounds are set but will not be revealed in the order that they are presented.

IN NO ORDER:

1. EMOTION/COLOR:

A sig that emphasizes a color that reveals an emotion. In this round the contestant will be given a color that is suppose to represent an emotion. Or it could be the other way around, in which a contestant will be given an emotion that is suppose to emphasize a color. The point of this theme is to test contestant in having to create art through emotion, passion, and creativity. Colors may represent various emotions, as well as, emotions representing different colors. For example, Red MAY represent Love, or it can also represent Anger. Contestants are not allowed to pick what color and or emotion they have. The color and emotion will be PMd to the contestant. There is no changing what you have!

2. PHOTO-MANIPULATION LP:

This round will feature an LP. This is the first Void Single Person Tournament to incorporate both an LP and Sigs. This round will be about Photo-manipulation. The Photo-manipulation will be on the canvas of an LP. Now seeing as the Void is not an LP forum, the ability for artist to make LPs might be limited, but that's OK. That's actually embodies the whole Tournament itself. The dimensions are previously mentioned. The LP can be about anything. DON'T LET THE THEME RESTRICT YOU! You must have Photo-manipulation present, and most preferably the focal or your masterpiece, but don't think just because it says PHOTO-MANIPULATION that you must be scared. Try various things!
    (NOTE: LPs ARE NOT LARGE SIGNATURES! When making LPs try to incorporate various concepts or ideas that would express a large art. When I think of LPs I think of a giant book. It shows emotions, symbolism, passion, etc.)

3. ILLUSIONAL POP-OUT

Bet you didn't see this one coming! This is all about creativity. This will be in sig form! It will have to create an "optical illusion". The Illusion itself does not have to "mind fuck" you. It can be something calm but makes you think. YOU determine if it is an illusion. If there are any concerns please contact one of us! For this round specifically, we recommend you turn in the sig early and ask if indeed it abides by the rules! REMEMBER, you have 1 adjustment per round; don't waste it! The sig must also have some sort of POP-OUT element in it. This will be one of the harder rounds. Please be innovative and original. Don't try that Black and White Circle. Try something new. Try incorporating patterns. This will test artistic talent and creativity!

4.DOUBLE FOCAL/NO "EFFECTS"
    As crazy as it seems to say no "effects", this round emphasizes on "obscure" effects. First off, the sig MUST have a double focal. Too often, artist limit themselves to concentrating on one thing and not actually realizing what a true focal is. A focal does not have to be ONE subject, but rather what is seen first. This challenge is to create a double focal signature. In this we mean, there has to be TWO subjects present that the eye focuses on. Pertaining to the effects, you CAN NOT use C4Ds, Fractals, or anything of that sorts! You may use Brushes, Pen Tool, Shapes, Filters, etc. This round you must basically create your effects. You may use pre-made brushes from other people, such as splatter brush, BUT it can not be the main effects. The main effect must be some variation of your own created effect!

Concerns:

These themes may seem scary, but the whole reasoning for no bracketing is so that everything will be indeed be fair. After constantly thinking about this subject, we have found that it would be UNFAIR, if we were to have people who specialize in some of these to vs people who don't. For example, in the No "Effects" challenge, someone like Synsational, who creates his own effects, might have an upper hand against Me per say because I don't create my own effects. So with the selective picking, each contestant will be given a fair chance of winning. People who specialize in one subject will be matched against each other making it fair for everyone. The final round should be a summation of talent and skill, where nobody has an advantage!

ONCE AGAIN! IF THERE ARE PRESSING CONCERNS PLEASE PM A MOD. IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO READ THIS, PLEASE DON'T EVEN CONSIDER ENTERING THE TOURNAMENT! THE RULES ARE VERY IMPORTANT!
    Last edited by Slave; 04-02-2011 at 12:05 AM.

Edit - my bad im to eager to sign up xD /Close this topic

Once last thing. If you feel that someone did something that doesn't fit within the theme, PM us, and we will sort it out. There is to be no arguing within any of the threads. We mods will make the final decision, and that decision is not to be contested.

I will not be entering this at all, and will try to be as unbiased as I can, and go based on the techniques and levels applied to the art.

Commissions and stickers available via linktree here.

-So for this Tournament, there will be NO PRE-SET BRACKETS. Ah Ha! The match-ups will be randomly selected. Matchups will not be told. After all sigs are turned in. They will be posted an hour before the poll comes up. This will make contestants fight for their lives. There will be no "going easy" just because you feel your matchup is lesser than you. No, in fact, we will decide which matchups go where. PLEASE do not complain about how unfair this is. We are trying to conjure up a unique Tournament that will make it VERY VERY difficult. By choosing match-ups it will bring your game out! Now, some might say we would cheat giving ourselves the easy match-ups, but this is how it will work. Slave, Nathan, and myself will pick each others match-ups. Try to believe us, and we put our credibility as mods, that we will make this fair.
    Why not simply set up a bracket by picking names out of a hat, but keep it between yourselves instead of showing it to everyone else? That way people don't know who they're facing, so they can't take the round off, but also it is set before hand, so you don't get to influence someones success by deciding to to change their opponent.

I think the one thing you don't want to do is decide what the match ups will be. Not only will people probably complain, but more importantly, you will be tempted to put designers up against each other for the best possible match up and that runs the risk of knocking off a lot of good people early on. If you go the other way and set up a bunch of non-competitive matches, people will think you're giving certain people easy matches on purpose. If it is a mix of competitive/non-competitive matches, the people who got a hard opponent will obviously feel cheated and think that the people who got an easy opponent were favored. That is why you have to do it beforehand and randomly, because then people cannot blame you for their match up. I don't see ANY upside to doing it your way. :/

You can make it difficult just by hiding the bracket. What you want to do doesn't make things difficult, it just makes them suspicious. I don't think you guys would be anything but fair, but that doesn't matter. Your personal opinions will influence what you do and people will of course feel cheated. >.<

Not sure if this should have been be Pm'd or not, I didn't think so, since it's just something general and not about anyone in particular. I don't see how it could upset anyone. Sorry if I was wrong =)

The match ups will be decided when we know who will participate, not after all the entries are handed in. We wanted to match them up ourselves, that way we don't have someone who has years of practice, and has grown quite a bit put up against someone with little to no experience. Also, the theme for the round also determines the matchup. If the theme is the LP photomanip, and 2 people are equally good with tags, but 1 has dabbled with photomanip, and is good at it, we won't put them together.

Quote Originally Posted by littlefeet View Post
    Why not simply set up a bracket by picking names out of a hat, but keep it between yourselves instead of showing it to everyone else? That way people don't know who they're facing, so they can't take the round off, but also it is set before hand, so you don't get to influence someones success by deciding to to change their opponent.

I think the one thing you don't want to do is decide what the match ups will be. Not only will people probably complain, but more importantly, you will be tempted to put designers up against each other for the best possible match up and that runs the risk of knocking off a lot of good people early on. If you go the other way and set up a bunch of non-competitive matches, people will think you're giving certain people easy matches on purpose. If it is a mix of competitive/non-competitive matches, the people who got a hard opponent will obviously feel cheated and think that the people who got an easy opponent were favored. That is why you have to do it beforehand and randomly, because then people cannot blame you for their match up. I don't see ANY upside to doing it your way. :/

You can make it difficult just by hiding the bracket. What you want to do doesn't make things difficult, it just makes them suspicious. I don't think you guys would be anything but fair, but that doesn't matter. Your personal opinions will influence what you do and people will of course feel cheated. >.<

Not sure if this should have been be Pm'd or not, I didn't think so, since it's just something general and not about anyone in particular. I don't see how it could upset anyone. Sorry if I was wrong =)
    Its ok.. we knew someone would challenge this.

We have set the tournament up this way:

1. because its new
    2. with the challenges that are set we think that people will come up with new ideas and concepts, thus making it equal for all. We will be making matchups to make it interesting. By doing this there will be no person who is "better"

Ive made an example with Synsational. He might be lacking in some places but better in others. If we set it up so that everyone is equal at a specific stage then the winner will vs someone equally as good in a subject.

Take my word for it that we've set it up in a way that there wont be any biases and that all rounds will be fair. The final round will be indicative of this approach.

The reason why 3 MODS are running this is to make it fair. It's not like i can pick who I want for whatever match up. We will make a fair consensus. Ive also stated other reasons why we are doing this previously.

If its a mix of competitive/non-competitive matches, then a fair amount of luck will be involve for the winner and we don't want this. The whole concept of this tournament is to make it difficult. If all the "good" people are eliminated first than it will be fine, because next round they will face someone still equally as good.

Reguardless, the Tournament will remain this way. There will be no Brackets.

If you have any further questions please PM either Slave, Nathan, or myself.

this all sounds awesome and great but what is the prize?
    I dont make sigs anymore

im down.

My Three Rules Of Making a Sig Flow, Lighting and Depth

I'd love to try this but I don't have 100 posts =\... Will there be other ones ?

If this all works out, we will do it again.