» Site Navigation

> FAQ

» Stats

Members: 35,443
Threads: 103,072
Top Poster: cc.RadillacVIII (7,429)
Welcome to our newest member, Lekelindids
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many of ya'll can say you've been ripped by a company?

I got a message on deviant i recently looked over here it is:
    ----------------
    Hello,

I figured you might want a quick heads up to let you know that http://www.identityprops.com have snagged one or more of your submissions and are using them to make money.

I've already contacted DA over my stuff.
    ----------------
    I looked over the website and didn't see anything for a little bit and thought it was probably an advertisement...and the i seen it-

I wasn't pissed off at all,but then I seen they put a watermark over the picture and it kills me to know that someone took my beastly beast design and charged 10 bucks for each one (WITH A WATERMARK!)

and i can't do a damn thing about it,im only 13 years old!
    Please tell me what i should do
    Ignore it?Email them?

Original Pieces:
    Umbrella
    http://xxdelitexx.deviantart.com/art...-PSD-174769040
    Tricell
    http://xxdelitexx.deviantart.com/art...Card-180210981

Gaaf is offline Fight Club is closed..

Super Moderator

What can you do as 13 yo. well im not to sure about the copyright about art in deviant art. but i think your best option is to mail deviant art. tell them about this website and what they did with your artwork. if its forbitten than im sure they will take action. But since its a PSD file to im not to sure.
    think your best option is to mail deviantart, and let them tell you what you can do...

sue them

^thanks for the epic gift AGITATOR!

SOTW:261|265|288|308 |edwinpabito.deviantart.com

On the site is there contact information? If so contact the company itself. DeviantArt can't really do anything, but since you uploaded your work to dA then your work is copyrighted to some extent, but I doubt that you're going to be doing anything relating to the law seeing as how your only 13 and to be honest in the broader scope of things it's really nothing, no offense, they could just delete it and cover their tracks. Contacting them and letting them know the work is copyrighted (check on dA for the copyright details) and stolen may incite them to remove it, best bet imo.
    Last edited by Gallagher; 05-31-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Maybe get into contact with PayPal and explain to them what has happened.

Payment, Pricing & Promotions
    We prefer paypal as a payment method, however you can always send a International Money Order, Cashiers Check or even Cash. A address and name will be provided to you at the checkout.
    Link PayPal to your DA page and note the date that the artwork was posted. Also link them to any threads on here that display the image. If there's one thing you can try and that is fuck with their payment method. Many people won't buy off sites without PayPal since it's a recommended payment method.

Also be careful with how you write the message to them. If anything, tell them that they have used your artwork "without consolidation" and against your wishes.

If you wanna run some drafts by anyone, send them to me. I'm pretty handy with writing some mean messages as some of the guys on here will be able to tell ya.

EDIT: Also sueing them won't work since you are not the registered owner of the Umbrella Corp logo. That'd be up to Capcom if they wanted to sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter View Post
    Link PayPal to your DA page and note the date that the artwork was posted. Also link them to any threads on here that display the image. If there's one thing you can try and that is fuck with their payment method. Many people won't buy off sites without PayPal since it's a recommended payment method.
    I lost you at this part.What would paypal and a paypal account of mine have
    to do with my artwork?
    But I have a list of ideas:
    *Request a payment for my art
    *Ask some hackers to crash their site
    *Deal with it

Requesting them to remove it is no option for me and non-judicial justice shall be served.

Note:I wouldn't have cared as much if it was just posted there to be sold,but they put a watermark over what was a PSD Resource,intended for people to have personally printed,studied or used as a signature.

Angry

I think I might close my dA after seeing this.
    That sucks.

Well under PayPal's long Terms and Conditions I'm pretty sure there is something stating that a site cannot sell something that is legally not theirs, ie: Your artwork. I wouldn't bother about chasing up for compensation as that's just gonna end with no outcomes so rather then getting the site to remove the piece, put them in the legal hot water with the site that will be distributing the income to them. If it works and PayPal stop dealing with the site, it could be enough to force the owners to review their contents, or if you really are lucky even close the site if they aren't making any money.

A good example would be with Minecraft. Notch actually had a little fight with PayPal because they limited his account when sales spiked, probably because they had to check to see if the transactions were legit. [Link]

EDIT: Dude... Why close your DA account? They have nothing to do with it.

threaten to sue them...
    it might scare them off
    First SOTW win (301)

Gift from my secret backup santa Oath ^ <3

Gifts <-- clickie

Threatening to sue will accomplish nothing. First thing I would do is use their sites "contact us" page and submit an email asking them to remove the 2 that you made, and linking your deviant art links of each image to show they are yours. If they do not do it themselves, follow what nutter said, emailing paypal support as they do not, and will not allow illegal transactions through their service.

You are the only person who can make this happen. I have already had to contact 2 websites about my own art, and they have since taken them down, so it is possible.

Commissions and stickers available via linktree here.